1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

words of controversy

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by samuelhenry, Jul 15, 2003.

1. samuelhenry

samuelhenry New Member

would anyone mind giving me a biblical explaination for why it considered a sin to hear someone use certain slang words (such as the "s" word etc.)? of course it is wrong to subject your mind to blasphemy. but what of words and phrases that are not blasphemous or used as curses? i do not advocate using them as christians, for it is offensive to many people. but i do not see any evidence supporting the idea that it is a sin to hear someone use certain unaccepted words. i have not come to any definite conclusions concerning this matter and would appreciate the insight of any who may have more knowledge than i. thank you [​IMG]

2. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

1Cor 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

If you listen long enough, it will have it's effect on you.

3. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

What has always gotten me thinking is why we call certain words "bad." Sure, jailminister, if you listen to filth long enough, it will have its effect on you, but is the fact that society says certain words are filthy enough to make them such?

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Some words are blasphemy. Other words are foul, but not blasphemous. I'd rather hear the "S" word than the "g.d." phrase. The "S" word is foul language, but not blasphemous.

That said, it's generally a Christian should never use blasphemous language. When it comes to other dirty words, well, be mindful of the company you're in. I don't use the same language with my mother that I do in the men's steam room.

5. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Jam 3:10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

Some what society does dictate cursing(down south it is cussin').

JohnV, It would be better for your mother to hear filthy language than for God to hear it. The place you are at should not dictate the words you use.

Jam 3:10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

6. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Just to clear things up, James is speaking about cursing men, not using foul lanugage.

Foul language is somewhat arbitrary as it is defined by society and words that used to foul are no longer and words that used to be common language are now foul. The "S" word as some have described it was once the common word, as well as even the "F" word. It just happened that they were common among the poor and despised nationalities and were seen as vulgar by others. For a fun study, try to figure out why we call it a cow in the field, but beef on our plate. Same goes for Deer/Viel, Pig/Pork, etc. Words that have become foul in American English are not nessisarily foul in the English of Britian, Austrailia, etc. I had a fun time experiencing this first hand recently when a brother in Britian playfully refered to me among others as pus%%ys.

Such language today is usually used in a vulgar context or by those who wish to rebell, are angry, etc, and is not fitting for Christians.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must disagree. I spent three summers working in the oil field and it seemed like every 4th word was a cuss word. And I didn't start cussing. And I still don't. My parents and I spent good money on my education from kindergarten through my bachelor's degree. I like to sound like it took. [​IMG]

Of course, since I am into show and performance dogs, I have had to get used to the correct and proper use of the b---- word. [​IMG]

8. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

KenH, That is good for you, but it is not the normal. Just look at our society today. Vulgarity is just common place. Words that were hardly ever used 40 years ago is just adjectives today. Even though it MAY not have effected you, it does most people.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be correct you should have said "DID not". Unless, of course, you are accusing me of lying. [​IMG]

Thank you very much. [​IMG]

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not all filthy language is cursing (although, cursing is, imo, filthy language). The S word, when used as a noun, is not cursing. When in the company of other men, I might use it to describe what my last take-out meal tasted like. But when in the company of my mother, I would not use the word.

BTW- as far as "cursing" goes, I refrain from it entirely.

11. latterrain77

latterrain77 New Member

Words like "G___ da_it" are pure sin. Think of what this saying means! One is asking GOD to "damn" someone in HELL! A very horrible statement by any measure. A similar phrase is when someone says; "go to hell." This horrible saying is taking away the power of "assignment to Hell" by GOD, and granting that power instead to the issuer of the slang. Awful! The apostles once did this without the harsh speech, and Christ severely rebuked them for it (Luke 9: 54-55).

English slang words such as "f___" are in a different category. In a sense, it's like using the word "fornication" or other harsher words (2 Kings 18: 27, Eze. 24: 12). Apostle Paul called men "whited walls" (Acts 23: 3) and this would be the equivalent of using a slang or harsh word.

Still, the use of slang English words (commonly called "cussing") should be avoided by the Christian. Since the world views such speech as "salty," the Christian who uses it demeans himself in society's eye. Society expects MORE from the Christian. When we stumble, our sin is magnified, and it makes society feel all the better about their own sin. Accordingly, "cussing" is a violation of 1 Thess. 5: 22 and should be avoided. Thanks. latterrain77

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And how many here would consider the word "piss" one of those cuss words? I grew up thinking that, not knowing it was a special inspired cuss word! :eek: :eek:

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many common English words came from German. Some from Latin and Greek.

But a special group of words are called "folk" words, because they were from the indigenous people of Northern Europe and England.

These words comprise MOST of the "crude" or "cuss" words. They are short, harsh sounding, almost all just a single syllable with hard sounds. Many end in "k" or "t".

In addition to the "crude" (4-letter) words you are now thinking, we have other words.

The deer or stag from Europe became the "ELK", with the male called a "BUCK"

Mighty trees were called "OAK"

Instead of a pail we have a "BUCKET"

And the common people? In Northern Germany it was "VOLK" and across the Channel it was "FOLK"

English is an amazing conglomerate language.

14. deadmen.org

deadmen.org New Member

Culture seems to define words that are "profane". The funny thing is, just like drinking and moderate smoking of a pipe or cigar, have been demonized by legalistic people in the church. Situations as such are what have caused words to be profane or not. G.D. is not bad because it's about God damning someone to hell or anything like that. It's bad, because God's name represents Him and His character. Any vain usage of it, is demeaning to Him. He is never to be thought of in vain, treated in vain, name said in vain, etc. Just my two cents. They could change before the day is over.

15. Eyes on Jesus

Eyes on Jesus Member

I do believe that we have a biblical responsibility to say something to people when they curse/swear in Proverbs we are told 29:24 Whoso is partner with a thief hateth his own soul:he heareth cursing, and bewrayeth it not.

We eventually will use the same language if we don't address it as being wrong.
    Leviticus 5:1 addresses the issue as well
    And if a soul sin, and hear the voice of swearing, and is a witness, whether he hath seen or known of it;if he do not utter it, then he shall bear his iniquity.

We all definitly have alot to be accountable to God for concerning this matter, I know I do anyway!

16. deadmen.org

deadmen.org New Member

How does one get the notion that the "cursing" found here is equating with what some consider profanity?

It's usually an individual or group of individuals who've deemed a word "profane" or not. Again, the "swearing" here is not referring to what many term "profanity" today.

Yup!

17. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Christians used to discuss whether "shucks" and "shoot" and "heck" were appropriate and now we are discussing much stronger words in the same vein. Don't tell me that our culture has not had an effect on us in a negative manner.

Johnv said: I might use it to describe what my last take-out meal tasted like. But when in the company of my mother, I would not use the word.

I did the same thing when I was in high school, but, then I became a Christian. :D Seriously, there is no justification for using such language. How can you then witness to those people when they have heard you "cuss" unashamedly.

Mastt 12:36 That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

18. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Kenh said To be correct you should have said "DID not". Unless, of course, you are accusing me of lying.

The reason I said MAY not is because I don't know you. I am not accusing you of lying. I do know that the Bible is true and the Bible says that being around "evil communications" will effect you, so that is what I am basing my conclusions on. Also personal and practical experience tells me that also. If your exposure to those things did not effect you some what, then you are an exception and I am glad for you.

19. John Wells

John Wells New Member

He who has a deceitful heart finds no good, And he who has a perverse tongue falls into evil. (Proverbs 17:20 NKJV)

keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies. (Psalm 34:13 NIV)

For the sins of their mouths, for the words of their lips, let them be caught in their pride. For the curses and lies they utter, consume them in wrath, consume them till they are no more. Then it will be known to the ends of the earth that God rules over Jacob. Selah (Psalm 59:12-13 NIV)

20. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Personally, I have a problem with certain words that are not considered bad by most Baptist swearing, because, honestly, i think the thought in people's minds is quite similar...

For example:

What the heck
    Oh, my gosh
    Darn it
    Dang it
    Gosh-darn
    Freakin'

All of these are "safe" ways to say other objectionable phrases. Since God knows the heart, is there really a difference between "Gosh-darn" it and "G--D---" it?