1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Work Holidays

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Oct 23, 2007.

1. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I just got an e-mail that makes me want to spark a little discussion or get your thoughts on it. The world has changed tremendously, I am not that old but I have experienced the changes and seen them first hand. For instance, when I was in grade school we called the break during the spring, Easter Vacation. Well, in high school it was dubbed Spring Break.

Well, at work, next Wednesday their having their annual Halloween festivities. Grown folks dress up, trick or treat, carve pumpkins. This has been going on for about 10 years now. But as soon as they began celebrating that, they dumped Christmas Eve and Christmas (days we get off) for "Winter Holiday". Claiming a departure from the religious side of things for a more universely friendly less offensive term that we can all relate to. They also put up the good ol' Winter Decemeber Cold Month Snowy Tree in the lobby, two stories tall. Equipped with decorated Holiday Presents from Satan (sorry typo), I mean Santa himself.

So what's next....

2. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

We live in a diverse world, one that is not particularily religious. As long as they do not forbid you from celebrating according to your personal convictions I really don't see the problem. I am sure you are free to voice your displeasure with and/or exclude yourself from participating in whichever Holiday events you are not comfortable with, although this does not necessarily mean changes will be made.

3. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I've never been one that gets too huffed up at what terms people use for days off of work/school. Especially since not everyone is necessarily off for those particular holidays.

I say, who cares?

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not sure why we should expect normal people to act redeemed...I like Halloween and Christmas and other holidays, particularly since they present amazing opportunities to flip the paradigm on people as I'm talking with them. I have yet to not have a significant spiritual conversation about the true meaning of Christmas or Easter with someone when talking over holiday plans.

It is all what you make of it. If we want to decry the culture don't expect them to be too receptive to the grace of Christ in the next sentence. We have our standards and certainly should not expect normal people to act redeemed.

We, the church, should be forever looking for opportunities to redeem the culture around us and finding our niche in the contextualized culture to epxlain the beauty of the Gospel. It is what the early church did terrifically well.

I'm looking forward to putting my Christmas tree up...:)

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Once I came to the realization that lost people act like lost people, I stopped being offended by their actions, and actually started feeling sorry for them.

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

It's already here. It's called Political Correctness and is just another way to shut Christ out.

The lost don't want Him spoiling their holidays...

7. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Living in a diverse culture isn't the part that really concerns me. I realize I work with those who are lost and Christians as well, but, why change it to suit one portion. Lost people celebrate Christmas also, so why the need for the change?

8. dan e.

dan e. New Member

This is really not something to lose sleep over....I feel like there are too many believers whose blood pressure rises over the silliest things. Do you know what you're celebrating? Good. Call it what you want.

Those who advocate changes in the names of holidays/seasons will soon find out that they can't avoid God, although they try by changing a term. I say, let them find out. Besides...we are the ambassadors of Jesus, not the names we call our vacations.

9. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then there are the churches that don't consider celebrating Halloween but have "Harvest Festivals" with black cats, witches and pumpkins for decorations :tonofbricks:

10. I Am Blessed 24

We have a Harvest Festival, but we don't have black cats and witches.

We DO have pumpkins (not jack-o-lanterns) because pumpkins are harvested in the fall.

It's a great outreach tool for the community. This is our second year and last year we had over 300 unchurched people come by.

11. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Thanks for showing interest in the amount of sleep I get each night. But, I am not losing sleep as much as it was just a thought which I was hoping could lead to a discussion, but not a discussion about my sleep or lack there of.

12. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I wasn't necessarily using that comment literally, or even specifically about you. Rather, as a figure of speech regarding the sensitivity of some believers (possibly yourself...but maybe not) towards issues that are not that big of a deal.

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I remember back in seminary(NOBTS)---we came back to school from the Thanksgiving holiday to discover a big, gigantic Christmas tree whose tip touched the ceiling of the cafeteria-----20 feet up!!!

Adding fuel to the fire was a Santa at the base of the tree---one of those Santa's that revolve 180 degrees wavein' his hand---big ole "Fish fed cat" grin on his face

It was wackey----cause only one person out of the many of us complained to President Leavell ---- the tree and santa stayed-----well---lookin' back ---- at least the tree and santa weren't "perched" in the Chapel pulpit area!!!:laugh: :laugh: :wavey:

14. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Any paid day off work is a good day.

15. I Am Blessed 24

If y'all would buy the DVD, The Christmas Star, advertised at the top of most pages on the BB, you just might change your mind about Christmas being a pagan holiday.

I have it and boy were my eyes opened. I love creation scientists!

16. dan e.

dan e. New Member

You mean that it would convince us it is a pagan holiday? Or that it isn't?

17. Magnetic Poles

Oxymoron of the day!

18. RedMan1972

RedMan1972 New Member

This kind of stuff is why I am still thankful that I live in the South, or the 'Bible Belt.' I was at a booster function for Alabama football last week and we opened it with prayer. There is still a prayer before high school football games. My Sunday School teacher also teaches at the high school and he witnesses to students and the boys he coaches on a regular basis.

I love it.

19. Magnetic Poles

So your local public school violates the law. Would you be as happy when a Muslim teacher "witnesses" to the class?

20. I Am Blessed 24

That it isn't.