1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Work Out Your Salvation

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by USN2Pulpit, Apr 11, 2005.

1. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

What is the viewpoint of most of you concerning the phrase "work out your own salvation" in Philippians 2?

I take it as salvation given by God (of course), but continuing in salvation by our righteous life and deeds.

What say you all?

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I apply this scripture to our daily walk, running the race to win the crown. Salvation doesn't always mean saved from the lake of fire for all eternity. We were given that salvation as a free gift when we believed on Him(born again).

Phi 3:13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
    Phi 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

This is the salvation he is talking about, the prize of the high calling, which is to reign with him during His thousand year kingdom. This is a salvation that we obtain by adding works to our faith.

3. gopchad

gopchad New Member

how in your view does a saved man add works to his salvation. By that, I mean, what is the process? I am of the opinion that we are no more sanctified by works than we are saved by works.

Gal 1:6-7 KJV
    (6) I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
    (7) Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

Man trying to do good works after salvation is like man trying to work to be saved. That is what the Galatians were doing. Does this mean we do not have to have goodworks in our lives? Of course not, but we will only produce the works of God as we are yielded to Him and living in the grace that saved us.

Paul said that in him, that is in his flesh, dwells no good thing. Isaiah said that his and our righteousnesses (even after salvation) were as filthy rags.

Gal 5:16-25 KJV
    (16) This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
    (17) For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
    (18) But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
    (19) Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
    (20) Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
    (21) Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
    (22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
    (23) Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
    (24) And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
    (25) If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

These works of the flesh are presented to a group of Galatian Christians. We must view grace a enablement, and allow Christ's grace to enable us. Turn to Christ and produce the fruit of the Spirit.

Chad

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The next verse tells all...

13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

HankD

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

how in your view does a saved man add works to his salvation. By that, I mean, what is the process? I am of the opinion that we are no more sanctified by works than we are saved by works.

Gal 1:6-7 KJV
    (6) I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
    (7) Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

Man trying to do good works after salvation is like man trying to work to be saved. That is what the Galatians were doing. Does this mean we do not have to have goodworks in our lives? Of course not, but we will only produce the works of God as we are yielded to Him and living in the grace that saved us.

</font>[/QUOTE]This is what Paul is talking about here:
    Gal 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
    Gal 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

These Galatians are already saved, but they are not perfect. They will not be made perfect by the flesh. Only Christ working through us will enable us to walk in the spirit as we are commanded.

Unless you believe that a Christian can lose his salvation, the verses must be applied to believers. Paul says 'If'. If we walk in the Spirit, we are not under the Law. If we live in the Spirit, let us walk in the Spirit. Once we are born again, we do not automatically walk in the spirit. Christians can commit adultery, fornicate, murder, etc... they that do such things will not inherit the kingdom. Either this is talking about the literal reign of Christ during the millennium, or we are all in danger of losing our eternal salvation. Did not our Lord say that if we look upon a woman to lust, we have committed adultery with her already in our heart? Or if we hate our brother without cause, we have murdered him? These are serious condemnations of our heart, which God is the judge of.

What say ye?

6. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Yes, Paul is ver clear. In his flesh dwells no good thing. That is why we must submit to the Spirit. "It is no longer I who live but Christ liveth in me."
    All our works of flesh will burn. Only our works in the Spirit will stand. This is the "work out your own salvation" Paul is alluding to. Not salvation of our spirit, for that is a done deal. But rather our "practical" salvation. That which we do that finds us "accounted worthy" to "attain" the first resurrection.
    And what are those works? That is a very long answer. But you can find out if you do a study on the will of God. Where God says "do this for it is my will", then you submit to the Spirit and do them. Where God says" don't do this" then don't. Will doing/not doing those things do anything to add or detract from the salvation Jesus accomplished on the cross? No, of course not. Then what will they do for us? Simply this; those works done in the Spirit will prove our faithfulness to Him as His children.
    And it is faithfulness to Christ which will enable us to reign with Him in the coming Kingdom age.
    Think of it like this. Paul told Timothy that there were certain criteria for the local church to appoint deacons/elders/bishops, correct? Paul also said "let them be proved and above reproach", correct? How is it that God will hold any less of a standard for they who will be deemed worthy to reign with Christ as "kings and priests" in the Kingdom?

I find that thought provoking, don't you?

In HIS service;
    Jim

7. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

That is a good thought, Jim...

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul is saying that we, by the grace of God, must take that perfect salvation which He has placed withing us, and "work it out" or externalize it. When God saved us he changed our inward attitudes. Those inward attitudes will then produce a change in our outward behavior. It is that change in outward behavior that Paul is addressing. And that is accomplished by surrendering to the working of the grace of God in our lives.

9. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

I really believe we are missing the whole point of this passage altogether when we individualise it & apply it to soul salvation. Salvation is not the issue Paul is dealing with in the chapter. Division is the issue. Discord among the brethren is what he has set his sights upon. Paul is challenging the pride, and self assertion of the Philippians with the mind of Christ and self denial & humility.

When we read the word “salvation” we are prone to think along the lines of the new birth, regeneration, justification etc. But the word salvation may also speak of deliverance from an enemy, and even, as in Acts 27:34 of one’s health & physical well being. The reality of verse 12 I believe is this, Paul is urging this church to work out their own deliverance, or if you like, solution, to their problems as a congregation.

This is a duty they were to approach with “fear & trembling.” Humanly they were inadequate for such a task. The idea of bringing personal differences between individuasl to be addressed by everyone was one that needed a cautious approach. They were not embark upon such a proposition lightly. There were dangers. They could do more harm than good.

Verse 13 then states “For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure," indicating they would not have to solve the problem alone - God was with them. See Matthew 18:15-20 (esp. vs 20)

We cannot resolve difficulties between church members in our own might, we must be energised & empowered by God for the task.

So, as the Philippians dealt with their problems the Lord would be at work in the church helping them to accomplish that which seemed good & pleasurable in His sight!!

10. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Good thoughts ulsterman. A new perspective is always welcome. Thanks.

Jim

11. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I believe ulsterman has a good thought here. Taken in context with the surrounding them of the letter up to this point, it would make sense as a collective "salvation" along the lines he spoke of.