1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Work situation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ccrobinson, Feb 27, 2006.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I'm a contractor in IT for a large company. My employer (the one who cuts me a paycheck) is having a meeting this Wednesday night to discuss 2006 benefits, the updated employee handbook, and other things like that. Since it's Wednesday night, if I attend the HR meeting, I won't be able to go to church. I informed my employer that I wouldn't be able to make the meeting and here's the response I received.

"We strongly encourage everyone to attend the HR meeting on Wednesday night. It will help you gain information about options that will be coming and get answers from our insurance company representative. I am sure that your church family will understand that on rare occasions we all have to miss an evening event.

I realize that we are asking you to give up two family nights; however, it will be a great opportunity for you to meet our Corporate Team. This will be {CEO's name deleted} first visit to {city deleted} in four years. It isn't very often that you get the CEO and three Vice-Presidents of a company at one meeting away from the office."

First, there's nothing that I couldn't get from the HR meeting that wouldn't be posted on the internal website. Additionally, if I had a question, it's not like I can't ask the HR Dept. anyway.

Second, going to church isn't about seeing other people and being seen by them. Of course, I don't expect an unsaved person to know this.

Third, using cards parlance, my King of Kings trumps the CEO and 3 of a kind (VPs). I'm not all that crazy about the idea that I HAVE to meet the CEO and VPs.

Finally, I seriously doubt that my job would be in jeopardy if I missed the meeting. I make very good money for my employer, and they don't have anybody that can replace me. My skillset is such that you just can't grab anybody off the street to do my job.

On my first day on-site, I very clearly told my boss that I would be unavailable on Sunday mornings, Sunday nights and Wednesday nights for any work, including being on-call. He is a Christian also. He understood and completely supported my position. I wasn't this clear with my employer (the one who actually cuts me a check) because I didn't think I had to be.

I would rather be at my church on Wednesday night. The HR meeting isn't labeled as mandatory, but the phrase "strongly encouraged" implies that it's the next best thing to mandatory.

I've been down this road before. At my last company, I was frequently asked to go to lunch with my team at a restaurant where you might expect to find owls. I refused to go to that place, and there's no question that my career suffered because of it.

If it were a mandatory meeting, then there is no question about what to do. But, this one isn't mandatory. However, I have the feeling that if I skip the HR meeting for church, I'll be hurting my career with my current company. Sure, it's just one week, but it was just one bite in the garden, wasn't it?

So, what do you think?

2. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Do you mean this Wednesday?

Pray about it...real soon.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Each company is different. I believe God has placed me where He wants me. I usually work the day shift, but there is a man who works midnights who is off because his wife just had twins. She is 39 and he is 43, so I have been working some midnight shifts to cover. Yes, I have had to ask someone else to drive the van and teach sunday school a few times, but this is a rare thing, and I do not feel this is in anyway out of God's will or a sin. Only you, God, and your company can come to a conclusion on that one. If one is looking for an excuse to stay out of church, and work is that excuse, then that is not good. In your case, from what I read, you have done nothing wrong by going to company duties, IMHO.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must follow your personal convictions, but I see no Biblical requirement to attend every single service of the local church. You obviously are not neglecting the assembly.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I agree.

Although I must say that I admire ccr's devotion to the Lord and to his church. I wish more people showed that kind of concern for their walk.

If this were a situation where it was mandatory every week or even on a irregular basis I would be against it. However, it is for one week, and therefore I see no problem with missing church for the meeting. I would make it clear to your employer that this is a one time deal and you will not be making a habit of it.

6. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't want to go, don't.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If the information is important (which it looks like it is), then I suggest you go. I admire your desire to put church first, but one should not bury oneself in one's church to the point of being oblivious to one's surroundings. Obviously, it's not mandatory for you to attned this work meeting, but it's not mandatoty that you attend church either. Since this may have an impact on your profession and your paycheck, I think it's a no-brainer: I'd go.

Just my $.02.

8. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Here and there having to miss a Wed. Night to work is not the most terrible thing. Nothing wrong with wanting to be faithful though.
    If you have serious convictions about this I say don't go or go and "nip it in the bud" by letting them know this was a one time deal.

Yet if this is a rock, solid, personal conviction then stick to your guns. If you do miss the meeting season your response with much grace. Be a good testimony in holding to your stance. Your inner moitivations for making the decision either way is what I would think about the most.

9. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

follow your convictions

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some times following God means being willing to sacrifice everything. The passage of scripture about Abraham wielding the knife to his only son is not just a story.

Is wed night services really your commitment to God? Are you really willing to lose everything to keep it? If not go to the meeting.

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

This is not a hill on which to die, so to speak. Go to the meeting.

Tom B.

12. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Good, solid advice! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I don't think missing a Wednesday night service once in a blue moon is that big of a deal. Especially in light of the information that will be presented.

14. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

So ccr, what did you decide to do?

15. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I'm leaning towards going to the HR meeting. I think I would have gotten less resistance from my employer if I had drawn my line in the sand back when I first started. But, I didn't think I would need to.

"Impossible to see the future is."

Regardless, the line will be drawn tonight.

16. Gib

Gib Active Member

I've been to many of these meetings. Even though it's not mandatory, because they strongly encouraged it, I would go.