1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Working for a Jewish newspaper?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John Ellwood Taylor, Oct 31, 2006.

1. John Ellwood Taylor

John Ellwood Taylor New Member

All,

I would like you feedback on the following situation:

a dear friend, a believer in Christ, is an unemployed graphic design artist and came across an opportunity for a part time position as a graphic design for a Jewish newspaper.

She was asking for advise as a Christian whether she should even apply.
    I told her not to reject it out of hand, but at least consider it and perhaps during the interview process try and discern if it woudl be an environment where she could work and keep a good conscience regarding the faith.

Please offer you advise and reasoning as I will have an opportunity to speak with her again soon.

Thanks in advance.

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't imagine why working in a Jewish newspaper firm would interfere with your friend's Christian faith and why it should even be a matter of reluctance.
    I'd work in a firm owned by an atheist, and most probably retire with my faith intact.
    After all, Christ is the child of God's keeper, and who can stand against Him ?

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

What a wonderful opportunity for her. We have to go out in the world. She may have untold opportunities to share her faith.

4. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Why not? We Christians are working for a Jewish carpenter!

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Well said! And by all, as well! :thumbsup:

Ed

6. Brother Randall

Brother Randall New Member

If that Jewish newspaper prints content (articles, advertisements etc) that promotes the Jewish faith (rejects Jesus as the Messiah) I'd say no to working for that company. Your friend's graphic artist capabilities would be supporting that effort.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Would it be okay to work for a "secular" newspaper, instead. Like "The Washington Post" or "The Washington Times", to get two from different ends of the political spectrum? How about "The Wall Street Journal"? "U. S. A. Today"? I'll promise you none of those, with the possible rare exception of "The Washington Times" will 'promote' any faith, whatsoever, except 'secular humanism'. Although most would not be, in the least, adverse to taking advertising dollars for a 'church ad'.

Ed

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps, but Judaism is especially opposed to Christianity. Whereas most secularists, atheists and pagans are merely ignorant or deceived, the Jews actively blaspheme Christ. The Jews are on a level of anti-Jesus activity that isn't even approached by others.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I once worked for a company owned by a Jewish man. It was a Christian Radio station. In fact many Christian radio stations are owned by Jews. I found him to be basically fair and no major problem.
    (It was that Baptist preacher who owned a radio station that gave me a big hassle - but thats another thread.)

In fact, Mr. Rosen escape from the Nazis as a ten year old, and made it to the US.

Salty

10. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet many Christians say we ought to "love Israel" because the Savior loved Israel, and Jesus is a Jew. Your name for example, no offense intended, is of Jewish origin.

I do not understand this paradox.

It is wrong to work for a Jewish newspaper because Jews are on a level of anti-Jesus activity, but it is okay to love a people generically because the Savior is from that race. Explain that to me, if you believe the same.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe the same. I believe the Scriptures which tell us to cast out the bond woman and her son.

12. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I guess we all have different experiences,but I have yet in my 61 years to hear a Jewish person blaspheme the name of Jesus.I know of many Messiahnic Jews and ministries though.

Your friend by her Christian attitude and superior work ethic could be a very good witness for Christ.:godisgood:

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must not have read many Jewish writings.

14. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

If by that you mean I have'nt done an in depth study of jews who bnlasheme the name of Jesus you are right. Actually the thought never even occurred to me.:godisgood: