1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured working with Catholics

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, May 26, 2012.

1. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I have a question for everyone. There is a Pregnancy Crisis Center starting in our area. My wife was on staff at a different one in the past. It is a GREAT ministry, however it is a Parachurch ministry involving many different denominations. We just had our first meeting so I don't know how far it will go but my concern is that of the 40 people there about 35 were Catholic. Would you work in a ministry that helped to physically save babies but was lead by Catholics?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How important is it to save babies from be murdered?

What are the policies of the organization as far as passing out religious information?

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Would I work with the Dutch Reformed ladies---the ten Boom's----in their Dutch Resistance movement---me being Southern Baptist???

Doggone tootin'!!!!!

4. SolaSaint

It is too early to see how the center will be run. Me and my wife worked at another center in the past but it was mostly protestant workers and volunteers. This first meeting kind of worried me since it was so heavily Catholic. The reason I believe is because the Knight of Columbus called the first meeting so I'm assuming they called all their members first. I would like to get involved in speaking to the local protestant churches to see if we can get a stronger showing at the next meeting.

The center my wife used to work at did witness to the girls and some were saved. I'm not sure about this new center it is too early in the process. I'm assuming witnessing will not be a part of the process. Of course it can always be done privately. Of course if the Catholics try to convert the girls to Catholocism I will not stay. This is what is so critical, it is a great need(saving physical lives) but there is the spiritual aspect also. I'm truly considering getting as much Baptist support as I can at the next few meetings and if this doesn't happen I will just have to see where it leads.

5. targus

targus New Member

Not sure why this is a concern to you.

Are you afraid that being Catholic is contagious?

I must admit that I have always been struck by the notion that Catholics seem to put their faith into action in the world much more than most.

There is evidence of it everywhere... Catholic hospitals, Catholic programs to feed the hungery, Catholic schools in the inner cities...

If you are concerned about being outnumbered by Catholics why don't you get people from your church involved in the Crisis Center?

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

While the RCC certainly does hold to another gospel and has false teachings in its system there are many in spite of their false teachings that are true believers and yet claim to be Catholic.
    As long as you are not required to abandon the faith by having to accept their teachings or having to promote the teachings of the RCC to work with them I see no problem.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I feel the same way, Targ!!! If I were in a Catholic hospital having a heart attack---and my heart stopped-----I would have to say

BRING ON THE CATHOLIC DEFIBULATOR!!!!!!!!

8. SolaSaint

I'm concerned about how much Catholocism will be pushed if at all. I do plan on getting several Baptists at the next few meetings because I want us to be involved. We've seen it in the past, without all churches involved it will fail. Catholics cannot run it by themselves and the same for Protestants. I was just curious if anyone felt it was wrong to work side-by-side with Catholics. I'm sure by the time this thread is done we will see someone telling me not to pursue working with Catholics. If so I want to hear good arguments of why.

9. SolaSaint

10. SolaSaint

Good point. I'll remember that.:thumbsup:

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand what Sola is asking. Knew a man a few years back that was of the opinion that, if invited, would refuse to preach in a church of another denomination "because it might give the appearance of endorsing that denomination."

Don't think we ever got it through to him that he was being given an invitation to preach the Gospel; when should we ever say no to getting to preach the truth?

I know of a Marine (retired) IFBer that was ostracized by his church for, among other things, preaching in a southern baptist church.

I say go for it, Sola. You're getting the opportunity to exchange views with some people who might need to hear the truth. And do a lot of good in regards to the unborn. I'll be praying for you.

12. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

I'd give it a go. If you run into things that violate your doctrine you can decide then. Lots of my wife's folks are Catholic. I preached a sermon at her aunt's funeral in the Catholic church last year.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

it is an excelllent opportunity for a ministry. Who knows, maybe while you are there someone will strike up a conversation about your beliefs, another opportunity.

This is not one of those situations of compromising faith. Now, I doubt our pastor would accept an invitation to help the local Catholic Priest administer communion, but this situation is not in that catagory.

14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:applause::applause::thumbs:

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

What if the defib comes along with last rights? LOL

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have to say that the Catholic Church is the one church that has stood hard and firm on the rights of the unborn - WAY more than any other church. I'd be happy to work with the Catholics to help provide a way out for those women who find themselves expecting a child. This wouldn't be church. This would be a rescue mission and my feeling is "all hands on deck".

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being a former Catholic, I would have some reluctance but for the sake of the unborn I could cooperate.

One concern I would have is for the spiritual situation of the mother and the baby.

Will they (RCC) want to proselyte the mother and/or "baptise" the baby which requires assigning a "godparent" who promises to look after the child's religious upbringing in catholicism?

But to save a life, yes and then privately follow up later.

HankD

18. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He'd prefer fried okra.

19. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I can't understand why you would ask such a question. Roman Catholics were way ahead of Baptists when it came to being pro-life.

I am just frustrated; I simply don't understand such bias in a Christian????

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The center where I live is one of the best in America and it is led by a lady who is a Catholic and is definitely born again. She openly speaks openly about her faith in Christ. When I first heard her speak I though she was a Baptist.