1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

World Cup Matches

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Timsings, Jun 12, 2010.

1. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Semis:
    Brazil vs Uruguay
    Spain vs Germany(coin toss)

Spain beats Brazil 3-2

Xavi and Spain passes better than Brazil dribbles

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

10 minutes in and Brazil has already scored. Could be a long day for the Dutch team.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! Now The Nethelands lead in the second half!! 2-1.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Holland wins! Holland wins!! 2-1

What a match. And I was just listening to it on my iPhone. I've got to watch the replay on TV. An amazing match.

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

First time in my life I ever wished I could watch a soccer match.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a finish to the Uruguay-Ghana match!

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a question that I hope someone with the knowledge can answer.

Sometimes the goalkeeper kicks the ball from the line closest to the goal and sometimes from the line further away from the goal? What are the rules governing this?

8. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry I'm so late in replying to this question. I'm visiting family in NC for the Fourth, and this is the first time I've been online in a week.

In any case, when the attacking team kicks the ball over the end line, the defending team is awarded a goal kick. The goalkeeper (or any other player) places the ball on the 6-yard line (the box closest to the goal) and kicks it from placement. When the goal keeper fields the ball in the larger box, he can carry it out near the eighteen-yard line and punt it or pass it to one of his players. The larger box is the area where the goalkeeper can touch the ball with his hands. Outside of that box hemust use only his feet like anyone else. Hope this helps.

Tim Reynolds

#128 Timsings, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2010
  9. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been able to watch some of the games while I've been on vacation. But I did not get to see the Netherlands beat Brazil. After I get home I'll watch it on the Internet. I did get to watch both of the semi-final games. My daughter and I agreed that it was fitting that Uruguay's elimination involved a controversial goal after what happened in their game with Ghana.

I did not understand Germany's game plan against Spain. Counterattacking was good, but to rely on it almost exclusively gave them too few chances for scoring. One of the commentators said that he thought that the Netherlands would approach the final game the same way. I hope not. I'm afraid they will suffer the same fate.

I don't have a favorite in the final. I've seen Spain more than the Netherlands, and I really like what I've seen from David Villa. He is a testimony to the idea that size does not matter. He is a little guy with speed, great ball-handling, and a sense for where the goal is. The Netherlands have Sneijder and Robben among others. They have more speed than Germany, so they could challenge Spain with their own kind of game. I'm looking forward to settling in on Sunday afternoon to watch every minute.

Just think if we only had a Super Bowl every four years with no halftime show (therefore, no chance for a "wardrobe malfunction")! :D

Tim Reynolds

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Tim. That's what I needed to understand. :)

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congratulations to Spain for winning the 2010 World Cup.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Albeit in a horrendous match.

13. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boy, that's the truth. I really didn't have a preference, but after the Dutch started the rough play, I started leaning Spain's way. I thought the referee lost control of the game. He should have given a direct red card to the Dutch player who stuck his cleats into the chest of the Spanish player. And he spent too much time telling the players, "Let's play nice!" But the end was exciting. Two Spanish players beat six Dutch defenders. The Dutch had their chances, but it didn't happen for them. Spain's win was well deserved.

Tim Reynolds

14. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

That was brutal all the way around.

The studs to the chest deserved a red. Puyuls' attempted assault from behind deserved a red (or at least a second yellow). Spain should have been playing a man down in regulation (especially given the second yellow to Heitinga, which was weak at best for a second yellow). The goal awarded to Spain off the free kick deflection was abominable.

The official did lose control. Too many yellows. ONly two Dutch didn't have a yellow. He should have kept the card in his pocket, or given a red early in teh game to let both sides know he would do it.

Soccer suffered today.

15. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Congrats to Spain! Watched it with friends with plenty of paella and sangria (obviously pulling for Spain). I thought that the play was way too rough at times and some red cards were deserved, but I really enjoyed watching the game. I just came back from Spain last week and the intensity and passion among them was amazing (and contagious).

16. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

How did that get changed to Brazil? I meant Netherlands!

I love this Spanish team. Best that I have witnessed in my 5 cups.

Xavi is the best player in the world!