1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

World War II quotes

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by blackbird, Jan 10, 2008.

1. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I am an amature WW2 buff so I don't know a whole lot---but add to the quotes as we go along

"They sought peace, but got war!!"---Sir Winston Churchill on the peace summitt between Brittish Foreign Affairs Secretary Neville Chamberlain and Adolf Hitler at Hitler's hideaway in the Austrian Alps---Chamberlain inadvertingly left his Parasole at the site---upon which he never had chance to retrieve---neither was Hitler thoughtful enough to return said umbrella!!!!

"As soon as I saw the first Mustang over the skies of Berlin---I knew the gig was up!!!" --- German Luftwaffe Commander Herman Goering

"When this war is over, you will join us to fight the REAL war!!!" ---- overheard during an interrigation of a captured German Field Officer--implication is on the coming war against Russia

#1 blackbird, Jan 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2008
  2. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

JFK stole this one from Churchhill- "Never in a field of human conflict, has so much, been owed by so many, to so few."

love,

Sopranette

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Patton to toops under his command in North Africa preparing for the invasion of Sicily:

Sorry, about the ***. The general used profanity with regularity. He thought it made up for his hight tenor voice.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why apoligize for something when you didnt do any thing wrong. I'm rather glad you use ***. (But I would have prefered just 2 **):D

Salty

PS

And I wore the unit patch of the 2nd Armored division - the one that says "HELL ON WHEELS"

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years."

James Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy; 23 February 1945

6. North Carolina Tentmaker

Well you could not have this thread without including FDR
    And I am partial to Halsey
    But how about this one
    Lieutenant Kermit Tyler (Duty Officer of Shafter Information Center, Hawaii), upon being informed that Private Joseph Lockard had picked up a radar signal of what appeared to be at least 50 planes soaring toward Oahu at almost 180 miles per hour December 7, 1941

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Eisenhower had one

"If Hitler invaded Hell, I'd side with the devil!!!!"

German High Command concensus of their supreme commander, Hitler--- after leaving HQ's upon the disclosure of his revealed planned invasion of Russia----codename Barbaroosa

"Idiot!!!!"

8. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I've always been a big history buff, especially WWII.

In our family, we listen to a lot of radio shows from that era.

For instance, I just heard an Amos an Andy program where they slipped messages about rationing into the show, Amos said "My wife made one a dem new 'milkless, eggless, flourless cakes. Pretty soon, we's gonna have cakeless cakes. But that's alright. They's a certain man substitutin' tyranny for freedom so I guess until we's done stopped him, I can substitute fo' eggs."

And there's also an episode of "Command Performance" hosted by Ronald Reagan and William Bendix.

They were interviewing a young Marine and William Bendix said, "Hey, I got an idea. I'm going to put a bounty on the head of every Jap."

Reagan: "Well, I guess I'll throw in a nickle a head."

Marine: "That would never work, fellas."

Reagan: "Why Not?"

Marine: "Because there's too many guys willing to do it for nothing."

Of course, you could never say that today.

And one of the nicest shows I've ever heard is the one where Red Skelton, in character as "the Mean Widdle Kid" prays for our soldiers and Marines.

I've learned more about the war just from listening to them recounting and making fun of the events of the day than I ever did from books.

9. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

"Go ____ yourself!" - Capt. Robert Frasier, after being ordered to surrender by the Germans at the Battle of the Bulge.

His company was bloody and battered and had taken heavy casualties, but they managed to hold two key bridges, stalling the Germans long enough to allow Allied tanks to move in and capture their objective.

10. North Carolina Tentmaker

Yea Mike there are several good ones from the Battle of the Bulge.

How about "Nuts" by Anthony McAuliffe when demanded by the Germans to surrender the 101st.

And this was always one of my favorites (edited for Baptist Board):

I actually used that one in a sermon one time, in a fully family friendly edited version of course. Sometimes we just have to say enough is enough and we are not going to give any more.

11. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

This one is by Capt. Henry P. Jim Crowe on 13th Jan. 1943 at Guadalcanal:

"*** You'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!"

12. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

"Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement." - Winston Churchill

"What'd I do??" - What a relative of mine said when a Japanese sniper shot at him.

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I read this short story of a impromtu conversation between a US Army Tank Commander and a German lad somewhere across the German border from France as the American forces were advanceing

Says the German lad to the American tanker as he watches a 2nd Armoured Sherman tank crew taking a break from action

in broken English

"German "Tiger" Panzer(tank) is better than American "Sherman" panzer!!!!"

Says the Tank commander back to the German lad

"Oh, yea?????!!!! Tell ya what, son!!!! Go find a Tiger and tell him to come here and we'll just see about that!!!"

Truth was----the Tiger panzer COULD out perform the American Sherman---but the other truth was---the Tiger panzer was OUT PRODUCED by the American Sherman---to a point of probably 10 to 1

The sucessful tactic used by the Sherman crews----was to spot a Tiger and "gang up" on him with 5-6 Shermans

They'd "shell" a Tiger until its stopped---then simply go on to the next one until they were all eliminated

The American Tank Commander in the conversation above---could say what he said to the lad---because he knew there WASN'T any Tigers to be found!!!!!

#13 blackbird, Jan 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2008
  14. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

“Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.

That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” Hermann Goering

Strange, this is the very same thing the "republicans" have been telling us since 9/11. Apparently it works the same now as it did then.

#14 poncho, Jan 12, 2008
  15. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I thought about that one. It reminds me of Chesty Puller's great quote, "We're surrounded? Fine! We've got the b*****ds right where we want them. They'll never get away now."

And then there's my favorite: "Retreat? Retreat, Hell! We just got here!"

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

What about the "democrats" who bought to us the "lovely" wars in Korea and Vietnam??? As I recall my US history---it was LBJ who was "quick on the draw" with that phony "Gulf of Tonkin" resolution----my word---57,000 troops were killed and it all started when a Vietnamese fishing boat fired a couple of rifle rounds at a US Destroyer!!!!! Far cry from 4 jetliners flying into two world trade centers, the frazzlin' Pentagon and thankfully the last jetliner was "ditched" by the first heroes of 9/11!!!!

#16 blackbird, Jan 12, 2008
  17. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

That quote gets used here about once a week, as far as I can tell.

Between 1935-1945 an estimated 18.2 million German troops served in the Wehrmacht. It went on to conquer and occupy- Poland, Denmark, Norway, Luxembourg, Belgium, Holland, France, Yugoslavia, Greece, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Egypt, Belarus, Italy, parts of North Africa, and attempted to conquer Russia and Great Britain. The war caused an estimated 50-70 million deaths worldwide. Goering needed some falsehood to convince the German people that they were under attack. Quite a job.

Not really comparable to George Bush’s America, if that's your implication. Sometimes enemies really do attack us.