1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Worship in the Melting Pot

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Aaron, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think anyone really denies a theological shift. The issue is, the assumption that one culture, in one time period had their theology perfectly correct, so that it was wrong to even change from it. A lot was wrong in "traditional Christian Western Culture", and there was a great gnostic influence, and unbiblical regarding of other cultures as inferior and particularly repulsive to God. But the Gospel taught that all have sinned, and much of "Christian" Western music and culture reflectied its pre-Christian pagan cultural memory.

Also, recently; I had found some information I had been looking for for a long time, and added it to my page. http://members.aol.com/etb700/ccm.html#communication The problem had been that I did not know the name of the piece in question:

Another ultimate proof that this whole "classical=good associations; rock=bad associations" generalization is the categorization of "classical" under the Gothic label! Now "Gothic" is just about the darkest thing we can think of, and we automatically picure modern rebellious youths, with their heavy "goth rock" music, and dark eyeliners, punked out hair, etc., and the associations with old horror/monster movies. But all of this has in its roots in "classical" European culture!. You can even see the classical music categorized as "Gothic" at this site: http://hercules.gcsu.edu/~rviau/musicoverview.html (Musical/Historical Overview By Dr. Greg Pepetone)! The epitome of this is Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor, (BWV 565); a dark, eerie theme associated with Dracula and other dark images. This is pure classical, by one of the most respected composers of "traditionalist" Christians, and should forever put to rest the false "moral/spiritual" dichotomy between rock and classical! Of course, people will probably say "oh that was just one example that was dark, but the rest of classical is not like that". But then the same generalization should be rejected for rock and other contemporary forms. Either the negative "association" rules ut the whole style, or you just have to draw your lines on a case by case basis. It is so much easier to put forth such effort for your own beloved style, yet with a broad sweep rule out everything else.