1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Worship Music

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jbh28, Apr 7, 2011.

1. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I'm not sure the backgrounds of everyone here in regards to music, so this might be interesting. How should we choose songs for our worship services. Obviously the text of the song is more important, but what about the other areas. Is the style of the song important? Sure, but what if we don't' like the style that the writer has it in. Is it ok to play the song in our own style?

I'm hearing a lot of fuss about conservative churches using songs like this but in a style that they feel is appropriate. Lancaster Baptist Church played the song "Shout To the Lord" and David Cloud(yeah, I know!) is making a big issue out of it.

How about the doctrinal differences? Sovereign Grace Music makes a lot of songs that have been sung in conservative churches. Examples include "Before the Thrown of God," "O Great God," O Wondrous Love" and "The Look." Sovereign Grace is obviously Calvinistic and charismatic. How important should that be in deciding music? Of course we have hymns we sing every day that are written by people we disagree with.

What are your thoughts?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I'm not the worship pastor but my husband has been. His choice in music was based on God honoring songs that were focused on Him, not us. He is not into the "I love Jesus, Jesus is my best friend" kind of songs at all. But I love the songs you listed. :) I think they are wonderful songs - especially the Sovereign Grace ones.

3. Brother Jeremy Slone

We sing the old hymns of God's Sovereign Grace much like John Calvin himself did. We line them out with out music. But it seems if you were not raised up in it then you won't like it. Though I believe Calvin strictly sang psalms.