1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Worship VS. Emotions?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Scarlett O., Nov 24, 2007.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

And you shouldn't hold back unless you sit on Joe's pew (he has a rule). :laugh:

Seriously, I don't know anyone who cries real tears because they want to cry. Usually we cry because we can't help but cry. I've jumped to my feet and clapped my hands and really can't tell you why. I just did. And I am not ashamed. In fact, I'd do it again... :godisgood:

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

No, but I still run into people who won't cry when they need too . . .

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't understand how it can bother someone that someone else cries. I've yet to see anyone start sobbing in the service (except one disabled woman but it didn't "bother" anyone that I knew of - it's obvious that she's disabled and was overcome with emotion during the prayer time - and she had numerous people get up and go to her to comfort her). When I've cried, even my hubby didn't know because it was just tears and, if we were singing, me being unable to sing. OK - maybe when I finally blow my nose will anyone know but that could just be a cold too. I don't understand how that can be 'disturbing'.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

One word, maladjusted... For everything there is a season...

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I don't equate studying Scripture with worship, although the study may indeed produce worship as one responds to the truth of the passages he is studying. Or it may not.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall seeing a definition of worship in this thread. I have seen posts on the elements of worship (music, prayer, praise, emotion,etc.).

In your opinions, just exactly what is worship?

One I read is, that worship is telling God the truth about himself. Not quite adquate for me. I think it also involves our own response to that truth.

Anybody want to talk a crack, and this may help with the OP question.

7. Joe

Joe New Member

Well exactly what does a lay man do when he is worshiping next to someone who is crying? Of course, knowing my luck, she is female.

So... do I ask why she is crying? I did this once, and she was upset. It was awkward.

Then what do I do? Put my arm around her? Then she could think I am hitting on her. No...you say. She wouldn't think that.

But she might, and the other female church members who sit behind us, not seeing the crying bit but seeing me put my arm around her for a second and then they say, "There he goes again, flirting". In church, everything is deemed flirting. Every word, every expression, every joke is taken as such. Except if I gain 40 lbs, then I am safe.Then I can put my arm around anyone and no one has a problem with it.

So to obtain a happy medium, I just put my arm around her for a second, except then she might think I believe she is not "good looking" enough for me to keep my arm there.
    Ok so I talk to her, put my arm around her. Church is out, and she suddenly starts following me around. My wife wants her gone, but I don't have the heart or the words to tell her. A scinereo yes, but imo, it's a likely scinereo.

OR worse, when I ask, they reply, "Those are happy tears". Now what is that???? :eek: What do I do with that? Ignore the person and let them be? Do they expect you to be happy with them? If I am not crying, does that mean I am less of a Christian because obviously, I missed the "spirit moving in the church". What if people are staring our direction?

Good grief.

Ok....hmmm......just don't step on my toe!

Is that maladjusted term directed at me?

maladjusted : poorly or inadequately adjusted; specifically : lacking harmony with one's environment from failure to adjust one's desires to the conditions of one's life

Understandable coming from a man who jumps and claps during church.

Who is maladjusted one? :laugh:

#47 Joe, Nov 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2007
  8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Me, if they are just crying I don't pay them much attention. I am too busy getting my praise on. If they are shouting I get out of the way and don't pay them much attention. I am too busy getting my praise on. Urshers and other woman in the Church will take care of them if they need taking care of. Most I'll do is move their glasses or other breakable things and move their kids out of the way (shouting only).

No, maladjusted is my response to "No, but I still run into people who won't cry when they need too . . ." and was not aimed at anyone specifically. It is a known fact that holding back tears leads to other disorders.

9. Joe

Joe New Member

So basically, you ignore them. Sounds good.

Except, I wonder if that is rude

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

When I see a subject like "Worship VS. Emotions", I can't help but think of the woman in my old church who raised her hands, trembled and cried when she sang, "In all I do, I honor you". After which she went out and cheated on her husband.

I still think there's nothing wrong with emotions, though, even in worship.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Tears of joy are a beautiful thing. Nothing like thinking of how good the Lord has been to ya to the point where you overlfow with joy. :godisgood:

Why do you think this woman had tears?

Lk 7:38 And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.

She realized she was not worthy yet Jesus was there...

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Nope, expected expecially for a Man. What's rude is to stare.

13. Joe

Joe New Member

Makes sense.

I can't see many stepping up to the plate to assist during a service, but who knows.

We have very few people who cry though.

#53 Joe, Nov 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2007
  14. Joe

Joe New Member

Yeah, that would seem weird. How sad.

Now back to Tom Butlers question....

#54 Joe, Nov 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2007
  15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Tiny Tim has a thread on Spiritual Worship over in the Music Ministry category. The only reason I asked for a definition of worship in this thread is that we seemed to be confusing the elements of worship with what it is.

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Yep, but we wouldn't be Baptist if we agreed on something. Even a definition. What next, you'll want a business meeting to decide?

17. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Sounds good. I'll bring the fried chicken.

18. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

Humans naturally respond "emotionally" when God "moves" through them or is actively working on their lives. How else do we get guilt or depression from our sins if Holy Spirit wasn't there to expose our sin? Emotions and worship go hand in hand as long as we aren't emotion for religous's sake. By that I mean we aren't using our emotions to validate or confirm our faith....we aren't using emotions as a "blindfold" from "reason" for us to believe in God...Emotions also shouldn't be the only physical aspect to us that we offer to God....otherwise I don't see a problem in revealing our emotions during group/individual worship....

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Your post made me think of the story where Felix trembled when Paul preached. The problem is he didn't repent and accept Christ as his Saviour.

Ac 24:25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.

20. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

First, we'll have the discussion. Then we'll eat Npet's chicken. Then we'll vote.