1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Worship Woes

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Onlybygrace, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

It's very easy really. It comes between Romans 11:36 and Romans 12:2! :laugh:

Seriously though (because I'm certain that is not what you meant!), are you saying that you have read Peter Masters' book, and cannot remember any reference to Romans 12:1 in it? I assume your comment has something to do with Peter Masters, because you were replying to DHK' post which gave a link to PM's book.

3. 12strings

12strings Active Member

The problem with this and other arguments like it is that when it comes to defining what is and isn't allowed musically, we are left with subjective evaluation techniques...as to whether or not something "feels" reverent or not.
    Is it whether the beat falls on 1 & 3 or 2 & 4? Is it the instruments?

There simply isn't specific biblical instruction to make such a case, just general principles.

He takes the simple phrase "in spirit and truth" and makes a "therefore" statement to say that aesthetic aspects of worship should not be considered important. Especially in his section about aesthetic worship, He is really setting up several straw men and then knocking them down, saying that those who care about offering skill and quality are trying to add their own merits to make God receive worship.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Included in worship is Romans 12:1.

5. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Sorry, I"m with Lamb on this one: You're going to have to use more complete arguments if you want us to know what your point is.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Romans 12:1, "Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship." Worship is more than just music and singing.

7. RustySword

RustySword Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I may be shielded from a lot of things because I'm only the bass player at our church, but I don't see problems of the sort described in the OP. Our worship director is indeed a pastor to us, and I think would use discipline if one of us got out of line, but at least from my viewpoint we all seem to get along just fine. We are very much like a family.

I think it is important for somebody on a praise team to realize that they are NOT entertainers. Their role is to support the worship of God by the congregation, not to entertain the congregation. Therefore, there shouldn't be any prima donnas.

8. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    personally,

I think C. H. Spurgeon had it right when it came to music in the worship/preaching service.

He didn't need all the modern stuff to get a crowd, either.

9. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    personally, I think one could argue that pretty much everything Spurgeon did at the time was "the modern stuff" of that day.