1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Worst counsel experience

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, Aug 21, 2015.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What has been your most troubled, difficult, or emotionally exercised time when a member comes to you for counsel?

Has it been when that person is facing marriage problems?

Has it been when that person is leaving the church?

Has it been when that person is telling of impending death (think cancer)?

Has it been when that person is testing you by enticing your morally?

Has it been when that person brings news that there is a conspiracy against you?

What has been the most troubled, difficult, or emotionally exercised time when a member comes to you for counsel?

Perhaps some will want to express the results of the session(s) and bring warning and advice to others that may face similar situations.

Were you able to predict the outcome, before the outcome?

Success stories?

Heart breakers?

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not comfortable sharing details of the pastoral counseling sessions I've dealt with over my years in ministry, but, to answer the OP, the hardest times are often marital problems where children are involved knowing that because of one person's selfishness there will be a generational failure.

That and sustained chemical abuse that harms loved ones.

3. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Marital counsels are very difficult - no doubt - especially those where some addiction is involved.

It is also very difficult when authorities have to get involved (child protective services) because often they bring to the table only one solution - disperse the family to "approved homes" which I have found are sometimes hotbeds of all manner of evil.

4. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NOTE TO ALL

I am not asking to have revealing discussions going into specifics.

That would be a breach of ethics - in my opinion.

Rather, what PreachinJesus did is very good.

OH, I forgot one question.

What relief valve do you personally have to dump the "issues" that are exceeding distressful?

Some have had a member of the staff (associate pastor for example) some have professional colleagues, some use the wife...

Some merely push the situation down or put it in some pigeon hole of the brain and never deal with it.

What do you do?