1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would Billy Graham/Charles Stanley be MOST Famous Arminian baptists today?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JesusFan, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Free grace is as opposite of lordship salvation as one can get. The difference is huge.

It should also be noted free grace is not arminiansim, and lordship salvation is not calvinism. Points of all systems can be shared, but they are distinct.

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

believe that per the Bible, salvation is totally of Grace of God, once a new person in jesus though...

Will have some fruit to evidence that a one has been saved and now in Christ...

As calvin was to have said...

:Faith alone saves, but the faith that is alone is nor genuine saving faith!"

3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

This "almost word for word" could say a lot!

Until I see some proof, I will consider this to be untrue! Show proof, and I will sadly accept what you say.

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Robert, in times past you implied you didn't like Swindoll because he's a Calvinist (Reformed). Now you have another agenda, and like him, and it will be sad to see it's true?

I think according to your past statement, you should gladly accept it:

Here: http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?p=1631584&highlight=Swindoll#post1631584

Post #72

- Peace

#84 preacher4truth, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011
  5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I've always liked Swindoll, Calvinists or not.

And, you said:

I am sure you have plenty of honor and all, but that's not good enough. Back up your claim or admit your slander toward Swindoll!

6. preacher4truth

Simmer down Robert.

I've already given the evidence. Seek and ye shall find.

That, and I've quoted him word for word here.

:)

7. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I listened to the quote, and I still think you are may not be correct in what Swindoll means, but you did provide the link. Thanks!

8. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Wouldn't "Free Grace" fit under Arms IF one taught that God has granted Grace sufficient that any and all can come to the Lord?
    That whosoever wills, not those whom God has chosen?

9. mandym

mandym New Member

It is not an either or proposition.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sharing a view does not mean you are labeled that view. You share original sin with the catholics, does that mean you fall under catholicism? This whole labeling, branding, whatever is quite silly.

11. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

OK, PFT, now you are doing what you often correct others for doing to you, that being saying something that wasn't there. He did not say "in this statement" that he now LIKES Swindoll.

I did not know Swindoll was a calvinist, even if he is, I still enjoy the rare occasion that I hear him speak.

12. preacher4truth

I can understand your misunderstanding.

You must understand my implication; in one thread it is OK to dismiss him in a sense, because of convenience. In now another thread, it is convenient to "sadly" dismiss him if whatever is said be found true, implying a deep sense of love ( I say this tongue-in-cheek, but you get the point), wherein in times past the convenience was to mark him off in a sense due to him being allegedly "reformed." See?

I still don't buy that he is a Calvinist. He attempted to come across as a restorer of Reformed "Sola Fide" in "The Grace Awakening."

He missed the mark since he denied within its pages the foundational truth that true faith has works.

Also, I've sought for evidence that he is Calvinisitic, and would ask for some proof from anyone either way.

- Peace

#92 preacher4truth, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011
  13. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I would say like many DTS folks and their founder Lewis Sperry Chafer, he would be what many call 4 pointers.

14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Fair Enough. :) So do you listen only to those you know to be "calvinistic"? I read one book by RC Sproul. "Chosen But Free". And I like NT Wright quite a bit.

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    10 page limit, but good discussion.

I am strongly reformed in the doctrines of grace, and love to hear Graham or Stanley preach, but would not classify either as "arminian" (lose salvation is the common denominator of arminianism).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.