1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would God command men to do something they were unable to do?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by reformedbeliever, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I cannot say that they all heard the command Bob. But I do know the command goes out to all men.

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Read Romans...not to Israel is elect to the BLESSINGS OF GOD. Not salvation. WE...the CHURCH are elect...but we still must have faith, just as those in the OT.

3. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

They were forordained to be chosen as a nation, not for salvation.... not all of them at least........ not near all. Predestination deals with God's election of people to salvation, or reprobation. Forordination deals with God's decrees of will.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Rom 9:27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:
    Under the Law

Rom 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
    Under Grace

The point is there were some saved under the Law that were commanded to keep His Commandments and statues and ordinences.

#104 Brother Bob, Oct 31, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2006
  5. reformedbeliever

Bro Bob. I almost missed your second queston as you went back and edited your previous reply. Why not just do a new reply instead of editing? Just wondering, because you do that a lot. I just do not want to miss something you may have added later.

6. reformedbeliever

The point is that they were saved by His sovereign grace either way. The remnant was saved by His sovereign work.... not their own.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So there were some who kept the Law and were saved?

Gen 26:5Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

#107 Brother Bob, Oct 31, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2006
  8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

James; How can it be a command unless they hear the command?

9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

bob...

Not sure what this has to do with the OP....but maybe you will have a point. We shall see.

Does saved under the Law was not saved BY the LAW. All were saved thought FAITH...hebrews 11. Therefore the point remainds. The Law was given By God and demanded by God for the Jews to follow. Yet...THEY DID NOT!!!!!

THEY COULD NOT. Therefore Chrsit came.

1st...this was in the Church age, so even if you made a point, you really did not. :)

1) Election saves no one. We all must believe.

2) This shows that Jews can and DO become believers. Yes they have election of grace as well.

10. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

No...none were saved by the LAW. My oh my..you should know better then this.

BY FAITH

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

My question James is those you listed as saved under the Law. Did they keep the Law?

why this scripture then?

Gen 26:5Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

12. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

God is God, even if you do not know of God.

Truth is truth even if you do not know the truth.

A command is a command, even if we do not knew of it.

Goodness...we even have this in our own Laws of the land. If I steal...can i go tell the judge.."look..I did not know that stealing was wrong????"

I could, but they would also place me in a cell block and laugh.

Can not God be given the same right? How low must we make God?

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Oh, I know it took the blood to go back and cover them under the Law but was wondering if you knew where the souls of them who died under the Law went to before the blood was shed?

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I know you love your daughter very much James and if while she was sleeping you commanded her not to do something would you punish her even though she was asleep when you gave the command?

You still did not answer if Abraham and others kept the Law?

15. reformedbeliever

Someone had already addressed this James. I believe he used the example of his telling his children what he expected of them and enforced even if they said they didn't hear him. Why do they not hear the replies? Its because either they (the free willers) do not want to hear......lol.... or they can't. Seems like they are making our point......lol

#115 reformedbeliever, Oct 31, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Are you saying even if you command your child which is asleep to do something then if they don't do it you will punish them.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We are talking about Salvation here James not some criminal court where it is your duty as a citizen to know the laws.

Seems you all believe that no matter if a person knows God commanded him to repent or not he is responsible when the very scripture says he commanded every man to repent. You ever look up what command is?

18. reformedbeliever

lol...... no, thats what you are saying

19. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Bob...

You must be kidding. Bob, do you really think there was another perfect man other then Christ? If you do, we need to talk.

One thing for sure we know it does not mean. It does not mean that Abraham was perfect. One sin follows. There are more.

There was only ONE MAN that was perfect. And there will only be one man.

Now as to your verse...I think it means that Abraham had a life style of walking close to God and following Him as near as he could, yet he did sin

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So, you are just but God is unjust?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.