1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would NCAA Football play off work?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Bob Alkire, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Just thinking about football playoffs.

Lets say top 8 teams would be 3 games. Some schools don't travel well or I should say their fans. I was reading that it cost most fans to go to a basketball playoff about $3,00.00 to $6,000.00 a game. Most are played in places that will seat 15,000 to 20,000 fans. They want each team to sell 5,000 or more seats and locals and others will make up the rest.
    In football they seat about 80,000 or more, they would want eavh school to sell 20,000 to 30,000 seats each. Lets say at $6,000 cost for each fan, that is travel, motel and food and what ever else we can come up with. That would be $18,000.00 per fan or more from each school if they went to all 3 games. I know I wouldn't pay for one game, I think the cost to go over to Gainesville is more than I want to pay, so I go to a game or two a year and give the rest away.

If they did like the smaller schools and played the playoff games at one of the schools, then it would work, but it would be like a home game for one team.

Most want playoffs, but how would it work? do the fans have that much money to pay for it?

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that's the only option. As Dan Wetzel (Yahoo sports)argues, it preserves the integrity of the regular season because everyone would want home-field advantage, which would go to the better-seeded team. The championship could be a neutral-site like now.

I used to think that an 8-team playoff was best, but Wetzel's case for a 16-team playoff convinced me. You'd include all conference champions as well as 5 at-large spots. This rewards the highest seeds who get an easier opponent (e.g. Sunbelt champs) and ensures that every school has access to the tournament.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

On 16 teams, which would be 4 games, would you cut the season back down to 9 to 10 games? That would be about like today or a little more. They play 11 or 12 games and the conference championship game( if they have one) then the bowl game, which is 13 or 14 games.

As we have seen this year in the bowl games, with lesser know school playing in some they weren't anywhere near being sold out. If I recall the Orange Bowl had a lot of open seats as well as some other. I don't know, but the only way I see it can work is for TV to pay for it because I don't see the fans doing it. By having season ticket at Florida I was ask if I wanted to buy tickets to the coming up game. I turned it down, nothing that I know of is worth that much money to go see. Now agreed, I enjoyed playing much more than watching. I hadn't used my tickets at Florida for years until Spurrier came, and then I started going to about two to four games a year. But I keep them so I have them when I want to go and let friends have the others.

I did go to the championship game with FSU, and back then the total cost was well over $4,000.00, way too much. I think my wife said if I ever did that again, I would be singing the old Jerry Lee Lewis song, "How is my Ex treating You". I think I got the point.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would cut it back to 11 games. Forcing the schools to cut back to 10 or fewer games would cause more harm than good. Most teams aren't going to make the playoff, so it would just kill a lot of revenue. If the universities didn't have a problem with the 12-game system, though, then they ccould still keep it at that.

In the current season-system, if you won your conference championship game and the national playoff, you'd play 17 games. Only two teams per year could play that much, and only if those teams had Conf. championship games.

Two other teams could play up to 16 games; Four more up to 15; eight more up to 14, though there aren't that many championship games to fill up all of these.

Most teams would be looking at a 13-14 game season, including bowls for non-tournament teams. Only the highest caliber teams would play more.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Regardless of the number of games in a playoff system, there will always be a couple of 'contenders' that get left out, while a couple of 'pretenders' get in, since 'rantings' - 'er I mean ratings are still involved, no??? Granted it could well be an improvement over the current system, but there is still no such thing as a perfect system, IMO.

Ed

6. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I just can't see any team playing 17 games. But with that said when I played teams played between 9 and 10 games and then if they were good enough they played a bowl game. I didn't see an 11 or 12 game season and then the other games.

I know I had a hard time keeping my grades up on a four year deal, I think they are on a 5 year deal today. I know not as many finish their academic requirements today and few schools say much to the coach about it. But 17 games over 20 to 25 weeks is a long time. What is it today 3 hours a day a coach can work you? So a player would be ask to go to school year round to finish on a 4 or 5 year deal. That is a lot. I know for me I wasn't the best student in the world, and I missed a lot of practice to keep my grades up so I could play. I don't know if they do that today, paying a coach millions a year, maybe the player getting a degree isn't number one at a lot of schools.

But I'm sure there will be a play off if the schools get aa lot of money!

7. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Hey, I know, lets just get rid of all the other sports, and play football all year. The colleges can expand to a seventeen game season (for the revenue of course) and pros can expand to 20 game schedule + 4 for playoffs (for the revenue of course) and all the bowl games can be placed at strategic dates on the calendar. And just like that we will have be a nation that has nothing to do but root for our favorite team or teams on Saturday and Sunday, Monday, and Thursday. And then we can learn all about what they might or might not do on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.

That takes care of our year and our weeks.

I enjoy a good game once in a while but I am at the point where all the hype has become ridiculous.

We have truly become a nation that wallows in entertainment.

thjplgvp

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

No System is going to be perfect.

However, a playoff would be better than the mess we have now.

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Yes, there is, Ed!!! Just have a Field Goal Kickin' contest!!!

Best of 10 kicks from the 30 yard line by the biggest offensive lineman on each team!!!:laugh: :laugh:

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I guess maybe we could find a new version of Lou "the Toe" Groza out there somewhere for somebody. I seem to recall that that record setting (and the one who held most of 'em for many years) was an All-Star tackle when he was not the place kicker for two decades, for the Cleveland Browns, although I do not know where he went to college. :laugh: 'Course that was before the 'sidewinders'. :laugh:

Ed

11. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I think a playoff system would work great - lets face it, it seems to have worked in the NCAA Basket ball, not to mention d2, d3 and NAIA football!

I also think that you could incorporate the current bowls in the chamionship - rotate the BCS sites - plus the new cowboy stadium as a replacement for the current cotton bowl. There is plenty of time between the end of the regular season and the new year to get the games in. OSU and FL will have about 60 days off since they last played as it is.

Use 16 teams.

I dont know about you all, but for the past couple of years, I have been very bowled under by the offerings - except the championship games. The rise of the bcs and the loss of meaning for the traditional bowl matchups has just sucked the fun out of the bowls. I would have liked to see what a team like Boise or TCU could have done given the chance to compete for a championship.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

11 game regular season with one bye week and an 8, 10 or 12 team (max) playoff with better seeds as home field. You can then play the bowls at the bowl sites. I don't know if 16 is feasible nor necessary. 8 teams with an 11 game reg season (and assuming a conference championship) means two teams play 15 games. Big deal. We have several teams who played that many this year and no one complained. We have got to do something about all the dead time between the regular season and the bowls.

13. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I think he went to Ohio State.