1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would Ronald Regan support Ron Paul

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Feb 9, 2008.

?
  1. give him his full support

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. endorse him

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. not be opposed to him

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. remain silent

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. NOT endorse him

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. be opposed to his election

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  7. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread Poncho said:

Non of the candidates aside from Ron Paul even comes close to being a reagan republican and the establishment simply does not want a limited government..."

What do you think?

2. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Reagan would have given Paul his full support, as most every other Republican would have as well. That is, had Paul not abandoned the GOP for its free wheelin' cousin.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not talking about "lip service" but genuine support!

4. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I'm just going to say no. Reagan kept too many international elitist criminals and minions on his staff to actually believe in limited constitutional government. He talked a good game in front of the cameras though. Reagan from what I can tell had no qualms of using the military to intimidate and subdue "enemies" of the global elite's hegemony. McCain would be his man today I believe because he's interested in the continued support of such un constitutional activities as undeclared wars and military adventurism on behalf of "the upper crust".

#4 poncho, Feb 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2008
  5. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I've read later where Paul said this was a mistake and he denounced Reagan. But, being a politician, he tends to invoke Reagan where helpful - as have all the pseudocons, and even Obama.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==While it is always somewhat dangerous to try to guess what someone would do, I don't believe Reagan would have endorsed Ron Paul. Like President Bush this morning on Fox News I imagine that Reagan would have said that this race comes down to two conservatives. You have to keep the historical context in mind. If Reagan were alive, and aware of what was happening, he would have been through everything we have been through. We don't know how those events would have changed his views or what his current attitudes would be.

8. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

When I think of notable endorsements that might have been given to Ron Paul.... I think of Barry Goldwater. He was conservative, and tried to present the truth to the American people. Instead he was painted as a war monger, and the opposition raised ridicule of extremism .......and fears of nuclear war.... which Senator Goldwater was not advocating..... though he did advocate a strong military. I was a teenager at the time so I admit that my thinking may be skewed.... especially considering how difficult it is to get complete news....now more so than then.

I believe Barry Goldwater's son is supporting Ron Paul.

As for Reagon, I think he was a good communicator and could sell ice to an Eskimo. I don't think he was as conservative as we were led to believe. I think he was influenced by advisors including the veep. He and his wife consulted mediums and fortune tellers...... which goes against God. When any of our leaders have connections or allegiances with secret and occultic societies, or entertain or consult sorceries I believe they have opened themselves up to the influences of the dark side, and may succeed for a time.

One of the temptations of our LORD was the devil offering the kingdoms of this world. The devil has been making this offer to men ever since.... whether it is realized or not.... and in compromising principals of faith, many have succumbed to deceit and rule by deception. We should be frequently reminded that our warfare is not with flesh and blood but with principalities and high powers in spiritual places.