1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would this have been a legal marriage

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, May 14, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was watching a rerun of "Amen" tonight. It was the episode of the wedding. As the ceremony was getting under way the pastor fainted. The show ended with Rev Gregory ( the groom) preforming his own wedding.

Would that have been legal in your State?

Salty

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think in my state all that matters is the signature on the marriage license.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No problem in Colorado.
    Colorado Revised Statutes 14-2-109
    A marriage may be solemnized by a judge of a court, by a court magistrate, by a retired judge of a court, by a public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages, by the parties to the marriage, or in accordance with any mode of solemnization recognized by any religious denomination or Indian nation or tribe.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

lol...wow...Amen...old show...

uh, my uncle tried to do this once. It wasn't legal. Too bad his poor (non)wife found out two year too late. She had already deeded everything to him and he wasn't at all tied to her legally.

That is not a legal marriage. Technical definitions vary state to state and should be checked with your local municipality...but I think that is stating the obvious. :)