1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Would two sinners marrying, be considered sinning?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by convicted1, Feb 5, 2013.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

This is probably the best post so far!! I'll put it on my shelf for safe keeping! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

A covenant betwixt a man and woman that is taken before a Minister and God.

My wife and I were married by a CoC preacher, and he was "ordained" via the state of Kentucky. He even had the "seal" to put on our marriage certificate.

How so? Please expound further. Tracy and I were married before both our families, the CoC minister read some scriptures about the marriage bed, amongst other verses, my dad and father-in-law signed our certificate as witnesses, so I think that's the biblical way. I know you weren't questioning my marriage, I was just throwing it out there to show you I know what I was talking about.

I have read where some say that everything a sinner does is a sin. If so, marriage falls under the "umbrella" of everything, so by mere implication, two sinners marrying, doing so in accordance with the bible, would still be sinning, no? Maybe I am thinking wrong, but I think not....that's why I am throwing this out to get y'alls opinions.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

How so? I used a male and female name in the OP. Marriage betwixt man/man or woman/woman may be constituted a "marriage" at the local level(state), but never ordained in heaven. IOW, God will never recognize them as being "one flesh".

It is a covenant betwixt a man AND woman, period. And if done so according to the bible, then God recognizes them as "one flesh".

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I'll have to put this one on the shelf next to Brother Herald's post!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I wasn't referring to a situation like yours. There are some preachers that have a lot of disdain for the laws of the land. They take separation of church and state too far. They refuse to be registered and thus cannot issue a valid tax receipt for income tax purposes. They refuse to be licensed by the state in order to perform either marriages or funerals as required by the state. They seem to be their own authority. I believe that pastors ought to be law-abiding citizens even in the matters of marriage, etc.

That is why I tried to phrase it that way. I heard one preacher say that all that is required for a marriage is a man in the ministry pronouncing a couple man and wife in the presence of two witnesses. If that were the case, he could be condoning a couple that were eloping, running away, had been living together, etc.
    "Let everything be done decently and in order."

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems to me that since everyone, saved or not, is a sinner then either everyone doing as you said in your OP is either married or everyone is not married.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

In Kentucky, West Virginia, and Florida, if one is an ordained minister of a local church, they can perform marriage. Would you consider this biblically acceptable? I am not baiting you with this question, just wanting you thoughts and ideas, that is all.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If the law permits, then it is legal.
    Primarily a marriage is the union of two individuals (male and female) who make a vow to unite with each other before God and before man in accordance with the laws of the land. (That can be expanded on a bit).

10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ROFG_:laugh::laugh: Yea, Aaron doesn't mince words, neither do the scriptures:

But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. Isa 64:6

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I would have to say no, because we are told what to do if one party in a marriage comes to Christ while the other doesn't.

I was in that situation. It wasn't easy, but it didn't invalidate the marriage and the marriage was true to start with.

It still would have been real, but wrong, if one of us had been a believer and the other had not. If not, why would it say not to do so if it was impossible to do anyhow?