1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you agree with Edmund Burke

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Sep 14, 2005.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

From Letters of Edmund Burke: A Selection (letter to William Burgh, February, 1775 - quotes in "The Roads to Modernity: The British, French, and American Enlightenment" by Gertrude Himmelfarb.

[ September 14, 2005, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: C4K ]

2. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

So then would you deny religious liberties?

4. ballfan

ballfan New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]I think I would as long that in school all are given equal treatment together at the same time in the same class. I feel the Christian message is powerful enough to overcome these other religions.

5. Daisy

Daisy New Member

That's in public schools, but there are private Christian schools, seminaries and madrassas where equal time will not necessarily be given.

Perhaps eventually.

6. ballfan

ballfan New Member

That's in public schools, but there are private Christian schools, seminaries and madrassas where equal time will not necessarily be given.

Perhaps eventually.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Certainly private schools need to be excluded and only public schools be considered.

Except for the fact many in schools are already being exposed to false religions I would say no in answer to the OP. They need to be exposed to Jesus as much as can be arranged. I think those that will hear will willingly receive him.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

But, as Burke's quote attests, religious tolerance is at the very core of our national being.

Burke was our "best friend" on this side of the Atlantic.

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

A Hearty Amen! [​IMG]

9. ballfan

ballfan New Member

You haven't shared your opinion yet.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was he referring to government schools? Did they even have government schools in his day?

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Government schools were not quite established yet, they were being debated.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

You haven't shared your opinion yet. </font>[/QUOTE]I will [​IMG] . I wanted some input first. Let men say I do beleive that religious tolerance is at the core of our national being.

13. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

I would not deny religious liberty. What I would deny is the right of Islam to be taught because a great many of their madrases (sp?) are known to teach hatred for the West in general, the USA, Judaism and Christianity in particular. Why would I take a viper into my bosom?

Further, I would not approve of Christianity being taught in the public school system because of the current condition of our public schools. Who would develop the curriculum? The state? Yeah, that would be terrific.

It seems that the public schools can't even teach the basics, let alone Christian doctrine, and especially Baptist doctrine. I certainly would not want the NEA and the Federal Government and Court system telling what should be taught and how. Can you imagine public schools teaching the crucifixion? Even some of our so called "Mainline" Protestant churches will not teach the the blood of Christ being shed for our sin.

The very thought frightens me.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thank you ST, your consitancy is refreshing.

With that I can agree, there is nor room for religion in state sponsored schools.

[ September 15, 2005, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: C4K ]

15. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

One of the first moves toward political correctness.

In allowing the Fed to take over the education of our children, we gave up our right to the full exercise of religious expression and reap the consequences of a thoroughly corrupt school system today.

The ideas expressed in Burgh's "The Roads to Modernity" were later taken up by the enlightened ones of the Horace Mann ilk, that fostered the modern school system.

To abdicate the responsibility of educating our children ourselves, and inviting the government, whose very nature must be secular, to educate them was a great folly indeed. To talk to a Christian member of the NEA is indeed enlightening.

I know I'm asking for it here. I was raised by a thoroughly wonderful set of parents. My father was a career teacher, finally retiring as a principal. I love him a lot and it nearly broke his heart to see us pull our kids out of public school. Mom said it was like a dagger in his heart. He's not saved.

16. Daisy

Daisy New Member

So you are against Moslem parents enrolling their children even in Saturday or afterschool madrassas to learn their own religion? One of the difficult things for non-Arab Moslems is that prayers are in Arabic (rather like Catholics used to use Latin) which many parents don't feel qualified to teach (my husband never did learn).

It was in the NYTimes a while back that a teenage girl was deported for attending lectures by a mullah on the Watch List. Although she was born in Bangladesh, she grew up here and didn't speak the native language, Bengali, but only English. Her younger brother was born here, so he is a citizen. He and their father have stayed here while their mother and sister went back with the deported girl to live with relatives in a village where women don't commonly wear headscarves (headscarves and burqas are traditional Middle Eastern garments). It was an interesting case that seemed to say that resident aliens do not have freedom of religion.

17. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

Daisy,
    It is not that I would deny the right of Muslims to teach their children their religion, I would deny them the privilege of teaching the brand of hate filled doctrines that have been the cause of so much blood shed through the years. We have heard too many of the Muslim clerics preaching hate for the US to sit idly by any longer. If it means restrictions then so be it. After all, the 9-11 perpetrators were not Baptists, Methodists, JWs, RCC, etc., the last time I checked they were Muslim.