1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you allow a woman to lay hands on you?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Nov 28, 2006.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

As a servant of the Most High . . . I know that when I conduct hospital visits . . . people do NOT say, "Don't pray for me."

And they don't have to be people that call themselves 'Christian'.

So if the sick and infirmed non-believers can believe in miracles and healing . . . why wouldn't we 'Christians.'

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Why not?......................

Sure we believe God hears and answers prayers. You think He answers a "healing" prayer DHK? If so, then why would you find

a fault in the "laying on of Hands" when that is only trying that much harder to do what Jesus said. It says to ask in faith

believing, you think God don't already know what we stand in need of but yet he told us to ask. Then why would anyone find

fault in the "laying on of hands" while praying for healing? Seems to me, we should try to get closer to God by doing the

things written in the Scriptures.

Would it bother you DHK, if you saw me lay hands on someone and ask God to heal their afflictions?

#82 Brother Bob, Dec 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2006
  3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Well put Bro Bob and besides, Jesus said, "thy faith has made thee whole". I don't claim to have the gift of healing hands but if you get healing faith by me putting my hands on your forehead while I pray then etc....

We keep olive oil behind the rostrum which is rarely used but one comes and asked to be anointed the etc... Healing is not in the oil it is in the faith of the one being annointed. Healing was not in the hem of Jesus garment, it was in the heart of the woman who touched him.

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

The pastors daughter, who is also my wifes best friend of the SBC in Huron, SD had multiple miscarriages. Shortly after we had been here for a couple of months (at which time my wife became friends with her) She told my wife about these and asked if we would pray for her as many other people were doing. I felt very strongly to share with her James 5 and asked her to pray about doing just what the scriptures state - the elders laying hands on her with regard to her situations and miscarriages.

About 2 weeks later during our Wednesday night prayer meeting, she went up to her dad (the Pastor) and asked to be prayed over according to James 5.

And that is exactly what happened.

I can tell you that after 5 or 6 miscarriages this was no easy feat or flippant request in faith and God blessed because she is now the mother of a 5 month old baby boy. And this is ONE of many that I personally can attest to that were done according to the scriptures.

#84 Allan, Dec 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2006
  5. Allan

Allan Active Member

Preacher here in Rom 10 MEANS - proclaimer not an ordained preacher or minister of that office. The context also gives it the same conotation as not an ordained person but those who give out the good news. Jesus gave that good news commissioning to all, but to the ordained preachers (or better Elders and bishops) that is an entirely different thing.

Preacher in the GR. is kerusso {kay-roos'-so}
    1) to be a herald, to officiate as a herald
    .......a) to proclaim after the manner of a herald
    2) to publish, proclaim openly: something which has been done

Pretty good way of explaining it huh??
    The Scriptures, there is no substitute for it.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Doesn't the next verse say how can they preach lest they be sent? Then later in the chapter Paul compares these sent Men to Isiah and Moses.

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes it does and that sending is that same commisioning for all believers to proclaim the gospel. Especially when we see the contrasting of the OT Prophets were the only ones to tell people to repent. Prophets were not priests nor preachers in the sense of a shepard as both culminate to that leadership authority.

No, he is not using them as comparisions with those sent in the OT to establish who is a preacher or not. But is quoting the Word of God by men of God and establishing the scriptures that relates to what he is speaking of.

This is not sermonizing nor is it sheparding but sharing ones faith. Paul is stating that God loves Man and is reaching out to them and Not that they were ordained in order to share their faith.

#87 Allan, Dec 11, 2006
  8. Saint #unknown

Saint #unknown New Member

I dont think that women should be allowed to.

Alright, first of all this is a serious question and alot of you act like 5 year olds on alot of these types of posts. I can understand having fun, but this person asked a sincere question and you guys make a mockery of a sincere and honestly asked question! If you guys wanna have fun go to another website or something, talk at least like you are concerned about the post and the matter that the post is about.

xdiciplex, I do not believe that women should be able to lay hands on the men. I assume you are talking of ordination services and besides unless a man and a women are married or are family they should not be touching each other to begin with. I sincerely believe this because God gave the command to men go and preach the the gospel to all nations... and so on. Also I believe that women should not even be allowed to be in a position of authority in the church. I know I am going to draw the attention of some power hungry women with this comment but it is not meant in a mean or offensive way. I very much respect the women's role in the house and in church. If you remember though the women's rights movement, if you were to compare how some women have changed from at the time to now, you would be amazed. Again, I say nothing with an offensive meaning but rather with a defensive meaning because I know what some ladies, especially ones that do not read their bible... or the correct one for that matter and do not pay attention to the requirements of having the position of pastoralship will press, if they are aloud to keep pressing. If their is one thing that I get pationate about it's GOD AND HIS WORD, and when people IGNORE the proclamations, the requirements, the commands, the promises, and the restrictions that God puts on us, it gets me mad, especially when they have the audacity to call themselves a CHRISTIAN and act like a pagan thats got morals! Now, I know that ladies get pationate too, infact it is a characteristic about women which I love. They are pationante for their children, for their family, for the lost people that come in the door, for the homeless for other family and for friends. I love the LORD so much for my mother and for my (future) wife. Many ladies are discontent with the role God gives them but why, I am not going to pretend I now all, Lord knows I don't and I don't mean to come off sounding like I do but ladies God gave you a specific role wich is with the family and the little ones to teach them what God says. A women's roles is a very very precious role that the ladies should love and cherish while they have it instead of seeking to over go what the Lord gives them and searching for more power! I will continue this on a speperate post which I will work on following this post I will make my own post to show some ladies what God has given them and what he has not given them as far as position in the church and family goes. (back to the real post)

Anyway xdiciplex, all that was to show that a lady does not assume to be a leader, that positinon is reserved for the men and the heads of households the ones that are suppose to make decisions for the household and notfor the women whos place is with the younge ones and TEACHING the smaller Sunday school classes. Anyways... their I go again sorry, if a lady wants to back up a newly ordained minister of God, a preacher a missionary, an evangelist or a youth leader pray for them at your seats. Let the leaders, the heads of the households the God ordained preachers and called saint men to go up and lay hands and pray on bended knee with them.

#88 Saint #unknown, Dec 11, 2006
  9. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

False Miracles

Christians need to keep in mind that there will also be FALSE miracles done in these last days. Done by those who dont want to do what God says... dont want to OBEY Him...

Satan has the ability to give power to heal as well...

Mt:7:
    21: Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    22: Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    23: And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (LAWLESSNESS)
    24: Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock

Mt:24:24: For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Rv:13:14: And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

Rv:16:14: For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.

Rv:19:20: And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Claudia

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The whole OP is about this Scripture and not running all over the place. You either believe the women can be among the Elders in the following or you don't. Jump on everyone else and type up a half of a page on women not having any authority in the church. I think most have stayed with the subject except maybe those who type a half page about what women is supposed to be doing in church.
    You either believe women can take part in the following or you don't.

James, chapter 5

"14": Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

#90 Brother Bob, Dec 11, 2006
  11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Brother Bob,
    I was about to post this reply to a previous post, and just as I hit the reply button we had a power failure, and I was unable. I still have my reply because I was work from a laptop. The internet connection was broken, and I haven't been able to get online for some time. So here it is:

To be specific, those weren't the words of Jesus, they were the words of James, but still inspired nevertheless. I can ask in faith (Mat.21:22), as Jesus commanded me to, without the laying on of hands. And I do many times, and I see many answers to prayer. I don't see the necessity of laying on of hands. If one had to resort to a physical mechanism (like laying on of hands) in order to boost his faith, I would say that he is in a fairly poor spiritual condition. I have a relationship not a religion. That is the difference between Christianity and other religions. One doesn't have to go through ritualism in order to obtain an answer. Ask the 450 prophets of Baal

There is much more to Scripture than that which is written in James chapter five. If the only time that you are going to pray for healing or anything else is when your are in the church or in the presence of the elders of the church, and they are praying over you, then I feel sorry for you.

This is what Jesus taught:
    Luke 18:1 And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;

You can't always wait for your elders to come with the oil and lay their hands.
    "Redeem the time for the days are evil."

It is not a matter of getting closer to God.
    Here is what Jesus said about getting close to God.

Matthew 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
    --That is where you get close to God--in your own private place, alone with God.

Jesus was our example:
    Mark 1:35 And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.

I am not opposed to the practice done by elders (pastors), which excludes women, but I don't think that it is that important either. The context is in the church--the elders of the church.

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

No, it doesn't.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You failed to see the entire verse.

"14": Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

So I understand going forward, how do we define laying of hands?

Are we speaking of the spiritual gift that "some" have or are we implying touching a person while praying?

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Let him call for the elders (pastors) of the church. Last time I read Timothy, a pastor or elder, they must be the husband of one wife. How many women can fulfill that requirement? :rolleyes:

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Spiritual gifts have ceased. I don't believe that this was a spiritual gift but a practice of the early church, and it can be a practice of the church today. In some churches it is overused. There are some who may be extremely sick, who may feel the need to have the elders of the church to pray over them, and thus request them to do so. It is not obligatory. But the request may be honored. Notice that there is no guarantee that the person will be healed. God heals according to his will (1John 5:14). All Scripture must be taken into the over-all context. God may answer yes, no, or later. It is not a gift of the Spirit. They ceased at the end of the first century.

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Not meaning to thread jack but why do you say this?

When Jesus said we would do greater things than He, did he just mean the early Church?

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Can anyone show scripture where the gifts ceased at the end of the first century? Can you show scripture where the gifts ceased. Don't we all have different gifts in the church now? Do you believe in a "calling" for the ministry and is that not a "gift"?

I think I understand where you are coming from DHK and I don't agree with all this show on TV about healing either. I have seen some knock them down and it for sure is a show. What we do, is a part of our taking care of the church and is in no way a show for as we lay hands on the person I am sure the whole house is praying in silence.

#97 Brother Bob, Dec 11, 2006
  18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The subject of "Spiritual gifts" and whether or not they are for today, always generates a lot of interest and controversy. Instead of hijacking this thread, why not start another thread on that topic.

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I added some more to my last post DHK.

That is not hijacking this thread. That is what this thread is all about. jeepers

You are the one who left the "laying on of hands" to spiritual gifts, not me.

#99 Brother Bob, Dec 11, 2006
  20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That I can agree with. I just wouldn't call it a "gift of the Spirit," as demonstrated in 1Cor.12-14. Peter demonstrated the gift of healing, for example, in Acts 5:16. There isn't a man alive today that can duplicate what Peter did on that day.