1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you allow KJVOists to teach Sunday School?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Johnv, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Borrowed and continuing from a different topic:

Whether you believe in KJVOism or not - would you allow a person who adheres to KJVO doctrine to teach Sunday school at your church? To teach new converts? To teach your own children's classes?

Would you confine them to just teaching mature Christians as a test of their beliefs in the Bible and to challenge them?

Would you not let them teach at all?

2. mioque

mioque New Member

My church won't allow a KJVO to teach Sunday school for obvious reasons.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

:D Okay, you're off the hook... anyone else?

4. JesusInFirstPlace

JesusInFirstPlace New Member

Our church is made up of KJVO people...like I'm pretty sure all of our Sunday School teachers are (but not to the point where they say that you can't be saved from another version).

Does that mean I am on the hook??? {nervous look side to side} ;)

5. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

You can let anyone preach, look at what Jesus said concerning Pharisees. Do as they say but NOT as they do. They do not "practice what they preach". Anything added to scripture "put on ignore"

Hypocrits can come with many labels attached to them. But as we grow in Christ we begin to see in others the manifested fruits of Christ or another. That should be the distinguishing factor because that cuts through the quick of "labels" and gets right into the heart of the matter.

In Him

Seth3

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And now Seth,
    After reading the topic: would you just mind answering the question if your going to post at all. It only requires a yes or no, not an epistle.
    DHK

7. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Thanks DHK,

But I figure you'd come in and "nail it" if I did not "explain it"

I believe explaining something is good, besides you have written MUCH MORE then what I have written in this post on others. I'd apply the thought to yourself first and from that example of your leadership I might learn something from it. As in Do as I do not only as I say?

Is there a "new rule" on how many words a post can include that I might be unaware of?

In Him

Seth3

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Seth,
    John opened this thread to get some opinions on whether or not various churches would have KJVO people as SS teachers? A simple yes or no with a simple explanation would suffice.

"You can let anyone preach," is not an answer to the question.

"Hypocrits can come with many labels attached to them." is not an answer to the question.

"I believe explaining something is good," is not an answer to the question. Nor have you explained anything relevant to the question. So either answer the question and give a relevant explanation to the question or don't post.
    DHK

9. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

not relevant to topic
    Seth3

[ November 22, 2004, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: DHK ]

10. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Yes, a KJOist shoud be allowed to teach sunday school!!

It's not the particular translation that brings the truth it's the work of the Holy Spirit to help us understand.

Peace,

Tam

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think anyone who would cause divison and stir up trouble should be allowed to teach in any church. It is attitude and not so much the version they use that is important.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

My Sunday school teacher used to be until he started doing research. He never does a light research, he is always indepth.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I agree with gb.
    We had a visiting KVJO preacher, and allowed him to preach. Guess what he preached on? He preached on the KJV issue, knowing full well where our pastor/church stood on the issue. He will never be invited back to preach again. He is contentious.
    DHK

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

As the author of the OP, I guess I get to answer the question now.

In another forum, the question was raised "Would you allow evolutionists to teach Sunday School?"

I replied that I taught Sunday School (3rd grade) for about 5 years. When the topic was Genesis 1-2, I taught on Genesis 1-2. I wasn't there to teach science, I was there to teach Bible.

So long as the Sunday School teacher is saved, adheres to the church's statement of faith, and sticks to the SS cirriculum, I see no reason why a person should be excluded if they're KJVO, or non-YEC, or believe that women can't wear pants, or believe that we still need to honor the sabbath on Sunday, or believe we shoulld eat kosher diets, etc.

15. billwald

billwald New Member

I suspect that half the KJO people have never read it and half of them could not understand it if they did.

The Christian Reformed Church generally uses the NIV as pew bible and there are complaints that the NIV language is to complex for the people being graduated from the American schools. If people can't understand the NIV, how they ever going to understand the KJV?

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Are you CRC? My cousin and several of my family is RCA. Most of the RCA churches I've visited use the NIV.

17. Exile

Exile New Member

I would certainly have no problem with a S.S. teacher using the KJV as his text. My objection would come if he insisted that anyone not using the KJV was either unsaved or somehow deficient in their faith. That would be a problem.

18. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

NO.They are generally pretty vocal about thier stance.KJV preferred, no problem.

19. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I am KJV preferred and I taught SS. Most of the people in my church use KJV.

I was saved without using ANY Bible. &lt;gasp&gt;

I am teaching my grandson to read the KJV, but if he has a problem, then we go to The Living Bible for easier reading.

When my children were young, we used the KJV as well as two other translations during our Family Devotions each evening.

I have read through my KJV several times and, of course, there are parts I don't understand. I've never met ANYONE who understood EVERYTHING in ANY version...

§ue

20. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

No,

People are there to be taught to understand the Grace of God and what it means to be free in Christ, it is our responsability not to have people there that simply seek to try and chain people to heavy yokes that Jesus set us free from!