1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you be a Baptist or would you be Born-again?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by procyon, Dec 10, 2005.

1. procyon

procyon New Member

There is a lot of difference between being a Baptist and being Born-again. There's a lot of difference being part of a denomination [such as the Baptists, Lutherans, Anglicans, Methodists or Pentecostals] and being born-again into the spiritual family of the children of God. There's a lot of difference between being born of the Spirit and joining a Baptist Church or any other denominational church. You may have a certain doctrine and certain beliefs without any change of heart and without being indwelt by the Holy Spirit.

I would like to know what you [especially Baptists] think!

2. valueoftruth

valueoftruth New Member

I think you got the right idea procyon. There is a massive difference between being religious and being a Christian. That difference is the Holy Spirit of promise.

---Brian
    www.valueoftruth.com

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Im born again because I received Christ as my personal Saviour.

Im baptist because I believe the Baptistic distinctives are the most Biblical.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am born again because I received Christ. I am a disciple because I follow Christ. I am a Baptist because I am a memebr of a Baptist church but not because it is any different then any other Bible believing /preaching church I have been a member of.

5. Rachel

Rachel New Member

You must be born-again to enter the kingdom of Heaven. That's the most important thing.

A joke...
    This guy gets to heaven and St. Peter is showing him around. The two of them began walking down a long hallway, and they came to a door. Peter opened the door and they heard all of these people singing hymns, and Peter said to the guy, "Oh, here are all the Methodists."
    Then they walked on a little further, and came to another door, and opened it, and saw a bunch of people dressed up and the strong smell of incense, and Peter said, "Oh, here are all the Episcopalians."
    They walked on, and came to another door, and opened it, and saw a bunch of people shouting and jumping up and down, and Peter said, "Oh, here are all the Pentecostals."
    But then they walked near another door, only this time, instead of opening it, Peter said to the guy, "Ssshhhh, we have to be quiet. Those are the Baptists in there, and they think they're the only ones up here!"

:D I'm sure there are people of every denomination that might feel that way.

6. Tiggy

Tiggy New Member

I use to go to a baptist church, I quit going cause the Pastor would use commentaries instead of the Bible when I would ask a question of him....it became very disturbing to me...this baptist church wouldn't allow any clapping if someone was finished singing or wouldn't allow any hand raising for women when in worshipping it is suppose to be for men only...this church also says that Adultry was for women only and that the man didn't do this but just the women....some of the members didn't want non-members to take part in the communion.....they wanted my family to become a member but we said that it is not scriptural and they thought I was a Universal believer??????....I go to a Messianic church now and I am learning far more through this church than any church that I have gone to on Sunday.....God is Awesome....

7. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

"AMEN"

We only have "ONE CHANCE" at heaven, and I'm not going to put "MY CHANCE" in the hands of "ANY MAN" or "DENOMINATION", but only as the "SPIRIT TEACHES".

8. procyon

procyon New Member

Bapmom, You are born again when we receive the Holy Spirit into your heart, when you are conscious of the Spirit dwelling within.

You say, The 'Baptistic distinctives' are the most Biblical. You may know all the creed and the doctrine, and yet you may be out of touch with the living Christ!

You need to hear the voice of the Lord; you need to walk with Him and talk with Him. It is possible to receive Christ as personal Saviour merely as 'mental acceptance' without undergoing any spiritual change. Head knowledge will not save anyone; only 'heart-change' will.

9. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I love it when people like, procyon, out of their pride in their "piety" question the salvation of others.

I am born again because Jesus claimed me through the water and word of Baptism, I have hope because He regularly reminds of His eternal promise and gifts He gives through His word and Body and Blood.

10. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

I could never be a Baptist. To associate water baptism with salvation is an anathema, Chemnitz. Way to many that call themselves Baptists on here are extremely poor examples of spirit filled believers. I have come to a new understanding of what Baptists believe, since discovering this board, and it's eye opening. It gives new meaning to the word diversity.

11. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think you'll find that Baptists in no way associate water baptism with salvation - in fact, that's the complete antithesis of what they belive; it's kind of a sine qua non of being Baptist

12. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Since, I am not a Baptist, I guess I would be a bad example of being a Baptist. The Lord's promises associated with Baptism are only anathema to the Baptists, who wish to turn it into a legal requirement.

13. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Mt 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Ac 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Confession of "SINS, REPENTANCE, WATER BAPTISM" "WON'T SAVE YOU".

Unless the "NAME", JESUS is invoked, God won't even "HEAR" you.

Joh 9:31 Now we know that God heareth not sinners:

Ac 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other "NAME" under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: NO MAN.... cometh unto the Father, but...BY ME.

And being "BORN AGAIN" is not a "NATURAL EVENT", (water Baptism) seen by the world.

Joh 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Water baptism is the first "WORKS" of "letting your light shine", but first the oil (spirit baptized), or there'll be no "light".

14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Since Baptists don't associate water baptism with salvation, I question how much you've learned about what Baptists truly believe.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Ya think??

Being a Baptist simply means you're a member of a Baptist church, fellowship, or denomination.

Being born again is a state of the heart, and is in no way tied to a person's denominational affiliation.

However, one should avoid presuming that somone who identifies him/herself by denomination isn't born again. That's as presumptiuous as persuming that someone is born again just because they claim a denominational affiliation.

16. billwald

billwald New Member

There is an objective test for being baptist. There is no objective test for being born again.

17. procyon

procyon New Member

We claim to know God, but does God know us? [Gal 4.9, 'known by God']
    I find that there are a lot of people who seem to think that taking water baptism is the be-all and end-all of their Christian experience. Let's not confuse baptism with being born again.

When I came to the Lord, despite my being christened as a baby, I got baptised [immersion baptism]. But that baptism did not regenerate me or justify me or sanctify me. I dont know whether many realise the meaning of baptism [check out Romans 6]. The ritual of baptism does not save. But when I realise my union with Christ in His cross, then I am baptised [believer's baptism] and I enter into a new life under the control of the Holy Spirit. My old man is crucified, my old life is buried...I walk in newness of life, as led by the Spirit.

18. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I noticed with all the people who deny God's promises concerning Baptism, it is all about how they saved themselves through their own will power.

19. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

then why do 99.99% of you rush to the dunk tank as soon as (and in many cases well before) you are saved?
    In the wonderful Francine Rivers "Mark of the Lion" books, the author is desperate to "baptise" anyone before they die, and that distortion of scripture detracts from her story, but admittedly not too much.

20. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your question is framed in such a way as to be answered with a false conclusion. It is possible to be born again and be a Baptist. It doesn't have to be an either/or proposition.