1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you bend the rules to win a soul?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I saw this and it made me think of something:
    It was a comment that isn't bus ministry worth it for the few who really get saved.
    regardless of what you think about that topic (bus ministry) would you change your church service from the Biblical pattern in order to win a soul?
    WOuld you even do something wrong altogether if you knew it would result in someone getting saved?

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

OK Dale, I'm a bit groggy, so I don't see where you are going.

Kidnap the kids? Serve beer to the adults?

In that thread, the church was trying to hide the kids because they were misbehaving, so they were hustling them in and out at times when no one would see them? That just wasn't right.

Help me out here. Coffee obviously hasn't kicked in :sleeping_2:

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I guess we need to see the rules clarified

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bend or break man-made rules? Absolutely!

Biblical commands? No.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Maybe you could list the rules for us Dale?

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

I suggest a litter of Mt Dew:laugh: :thumbs:

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

A litter?

Now Salty!

8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

How many Mt Dews = a litter? :laugh:

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please tell us what the Biblical pattern for a church service is, first of all. I don't remember any being described, except for when Paul preached so long the boy fell out of the window and Paul had to raise him! Hey, there you go, a Biblical pattern: preach long, put the young people to sleep, ensure one falls from a window (must be on at least the second floor), and raise him! :thumbs:

10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My soteriological belief is that I'm responsible for just telling someone, it's on them to hear God's convictional power and respond. I'm not sure what "rules" there are with that.

Outside of that, the church where I get to serve has pretty much tossed all the "rules" out the door and started over. But I might be mistaken about what these "rules" actually are.

11. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

My first year in ministry I had a pastor tell me that in my youth ministry I needed to get kids in the door of the church "by hook or by crook."

I was never quite sure what he meant, but it has never sat well with me. Maybe I just misunderstood what he was saying.

I think a better plan is to love and build relationships with people so that you can tell them the gospel. I do not see that as breaking any rules or doing it by "crook."

12. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Well I know that we have loaded more kids on to our bus than is legal b/c our bus driver wont turn a kid away. I know thats "bending the rules"

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I agree!

Ed

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Agree!

2. If you subscribe to Charles Finney's theology then you would try to manipulate the human will at all cost to get a response.

3. His theology is still alive and well in many circles today, esp. among many tv-preachers and those who would peddler the Scriptures for the mighty $.

15. Jesus The Way

Jesus The Way New Member

I tell people the Good News about Jesus and the profound effect he has on my life and then let God take over. He is the one that really wins souls. I'm just happy to plant the seed, water, harvest or whatever The Lord wants. Honesty is the best rule. Thats one rule not to be broken. Be faithful!!

#15 Jesus The Way, Jul 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2007
  16. mima

mima New Member

Absolutely: I will break all man-made rules and even some that the local preachers make. For example I was recently told that the young people of today do not dress appropriately for church. Ohl that's okay I said to the pastor I'm just thankful for the opportunity to go where they are and tell them about Jesus. And not just to tell them about Jesus but to tell them how they can be saved. Recently some of the young guys that got saved in that very manner got baptized in this particular pastor's church.(Baptist Church by the way, as I am very Baptist) and when next he saw me he said, I cannot believe the phenomenal success your message has. Really Rev. that's very simple I said. It's not my message but the message given in the Bible and the Holy Spirit can take that message and get something done.

17. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It's amazing how much more effective the Gospel is when it isn't burdened with man-made rules. ;)

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

deleted the post. I orginally thought that sales techniques to increase attendance or inspire an alter response might be breaking man's rules, but that could be breaking God's rules, showing a lack of faith in Him. This is probably a subject for another thread.

19. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

That isn't my point. Use your own rules.
    The question was, would you do something that you thought was wrong or questionable if you thought that it would result in someone getting saved.
    So, the rules are whatever you think they are.

20. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

THis is exactly what I mean. Doing whatever it takes to get the kids or adults or whoever into the church etc, even if you have to go against your conscience.