1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you co-sign for this loan

Discussion in 'Money Talk$' started by Salty, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We know the Bible says we normally should not co-sign, but what about a spouse. Is it alright to co-sign for a husband or wife?:wavey:

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. As husband and wife, you are united. No matter what, if either spouse takes out a loan, both of you are responsible for it. You might as well get the benefits of a joint application.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

There is debate about whether someone is prohibited from cosigning another's loan (guaranteeing another's debts). Taken literally, you're right...you'd be barred from doing so because your spouse is another person. But Stefan is right IMHO. I see no reason not to jointly have credit with your spouse, although I'm not sure what is meant by the "benefit"

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Why would you need to co sign for a spouse's loan?

5. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saggy, I think in some cases there must be a co-signer "just in case." That way if the main person doesn't pay up, the bank can collect from the co-signer.

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I know what a co signer is, and it isn't good process to co sign for anyone.

My question is why would you need to co sign for a spouse's loan? Usually they are borrowing together or one or the other borrows.

7. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Yes. We file our taxes, Married Filing Jointly. We share all things and are one in our finances. Our ability to repay the loan is a joint effort. But like you said, why would there be a need to co-sign? Either the loan is in one spouse's name or its held jointly. If my wife were trying to purchase a car with a loan, and the lender would not approve the loan unless I co-signed, I would have to understand why we were putting the car in her name. If it were for the purpose of building her credit score, I would co-sign the loan...basically because I would be making the payment anyway. hahahaha.

#7 ReformedBaptist, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  8. billwald

billwald New Member

There apparently are tax advantages for the widow/widower if the couple maintained separate savings and checking accounts. This can remove several thousands from the taxable estate. I am not qualified to give details but was just talking to a tax CPA about estate planning.

He also noted that inheratences (SP?) and gifts are NOT community property unless the couple co-mingles the asset in one account.

Further, my cast iron frying pan is NOT community property.