1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you consider your translation your final authority?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Paul1611, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Paul1611

Paul1611 New Member

Having been a member of an IFB/KJVO church all my saved life (5years) I have noticed that when the preacher wants to get an "AMEN", or get the congregation "fired up" he starts preaching about the KJ Bible. I have heard many preachers talk about final authority, and preach that if you dont have a KJV you dont have a final authority. Yet I was speaking to a brother in Christ not to long ago who uses the NASV who says that it is his final authority. My question is do you consider the version you read, whatever version that may be, your final authority. I also spoke to a friend of mine who was just married, and his wife uses another version and says that it is her final authority, and she wasnt aware that there was even a debate about the different versions. This isnt meant to be a KJVO thread, just want to know if your translation is your final authority, and if not what is?

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I have several versions on my shelf. I would consider any and all of them a "final authority" because of the care put into the translation.

3. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I was "churched" for two to three decades and was not aware there was a Bible version controversy, so I can relate to your friends wife on that account. Yes, I consider the version I read to be my final authority.

#3 Rufus_1611, Jul 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2007
  4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Yes, because the Word of God is the final authority, and my translation is the Word of God. (No, mine isn't the KJV) :)

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Amen, TomVols! :thumbs:

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Yes, God's Word is my final authority.

7. Askjo

Askjo New Member

The KJV is the AV. Yes, I have the final authority -- KJV!

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess I get to break the flow.

No, I do not consider any one translation to be my final authority. The original manuscripts were inerrant, but translations are not. Practically, though, I do accept what I read in whatever version I use, unless I have compelling evidence that the translation is in error. In that case, I look to the Greek/Hebrew.

9. Keith M

Keith M New Member

What they said! Ditto, ditto and ditto!

God has been gracious and has provided His word for us in various English translations. His word should always be our final authority whether we use one of the KJVs, the NKJV, the NASB or another translation. The particular English words used in a translation do not make the final authority, but God's word in whatever translation IS the final authority.

10. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Do you mean that you have the final authority in the KJV because it is the "Authorised Version"? If so, perhaps you are not aware that it was called the "Authorised Version" because King James I authorised the work of translation, not on account of it being the "final authority".

11. Paul1611

Paul1611 New Member

Please forgive me for my ignorance, I am not real familiar with manuscript evidence and everything that goes along with it (although I have learned a little bit from all the different post here on the BB). You say that only the original manuscripts were inerrant, and the translations are not, and that when one is in error you check it with the Greek/Hebrew. Isnt the Greek/Hebrew just a copy of a bunch of other copies of the Greek/Hebrew texts? What if someone made a mistake in copying the Greek/Hebrew text you are using? I also understand that there are different Greek/Hebrew manuscripts like the one which the KJV is translated from and the one that the NIV is translated from, which one woul you check the translation with, or is there a way to use both of them?? I am not trying to start a debate or anything I am really just curious. Any light shed would be greatly appreciated.

#11 Paul1611, Jul 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
  12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

As a fundamentalist, evangelical, Baptist, Christian, yes the Bible is my final authority for all faith and practice. Right now it happens to be the RVR since we speak Castellano here.

13. Paul1611

Paul1611 New Member

What is the RVR?

14. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I make use of the critical texts with textual variants listed according to manuscript. Most of the time, a major difference in meaning isn't all that common. The general meaning behind a verse can come across fine. Other times, such as when the LXX and the MT diverge, I may not come down firmly on one side or another. Practically, though, some things can be translated in a few different ways (especially with Hebrew), so I think it is good to consult the Greek whenever the English translations may slightly diverge.

For me, the reason I cannot accept any English version as an infallible, inerrant final authority is because it would be a translation of other texts. For me, though, I'm not bothered by the fact that I don't have a 100% perfect translation of every single verse. We have solid knowledge of the majority of the text, and wherever texts conflict, we have to find the best text available. This is not a flawless process.

Scribal errors can often be detected by a comparison of a wide range of documents. I'm no professional textual critic, but I am familiar enough with textual criticism to understand how beneficial this can be. If a scribal error is present in all of the extant texts (which we could never prove), then we have no way of knowing and must simply trust what we have.

In short: we do not have perfect copies of the original manuscripts. However, Greek/Hebrew texts are closer to the originals than English texts because they have not gone through translation (with the exception of the LXX, but that's a different matter). I'd rather utilize what we have instead of worrying with having a definitive final authority in English. The early church did not have a complete copy of the Scriptures, and they grew in the Lord. We can do the same without a perfectly-transmitted copy of the originals.

15. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe we must go beyond the strictly-secular thoughts and methods of our having such ancient worx as "The Iliad", whose extant copied match far less than the known Scriptural mss do, and not apply them too much to Scripture.

As Christians, we must TRUST GOD to have given us His word as HE has chosen to pass it on to us. Only HE knows who made what copies of what mss & exactly how accurate each one is or isn't. I believe that's why He has caused such an eclectic mix of such mss to be available to us. Knowing the subtleties & nuances of all languages, which He caused not to match, He has given us a variety of views of His word so we can put together some good working models that carry all the doctrines & messages He wants us to have. I don't believe He is limited to any one ms, set of mss, language, or version.

16. Paul1611

Paul1611 New Member

"The early church didnt have a complete copy of the Scriptures, and they grew in the Lord." Never thought of it that way. You wouldn't happen to be able to recommend some good books on the subject of manuscript evidence would you? Something that may list all the different manuscripts used and how we got them.

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

It is a version in the Spanish language, the Version` Santa Biblia Reine Valeria 1960, if I'm not mistaken.

Ed

18. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus is the final authority for me, no translation could replace him.

19. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

I use the KJV.

20. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I don't believe that I am aware of any particular book that might help you on that. I'm sure several probably exist, but my knowledge has come from a variety of classes (Greek and Hebrew included) and bits and pieces out of various books and commentaries.

I've never read these, but they look like they might be what you're wanting.

Students Guide to Textual Criticism

New Testament Textual Criticism --I've not read this particular book, but he's a good NT scholar, Baptist, actually!