1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you go to a church where the pastor uses a different version than you?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by annsni, Apr 28, 2010.

1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Agreed. Sometimes our pastor uses different translations even in his sermons to illustrate the various interpretations -- and nuances in those interpretations.

Normally, I would not have a problem if the pastor used a different translation than what I use (which is ESV and NIV). However, I probably would not attend a church that used the KJV.

We have a LOT of Scripture readings in our church: A call to worship (usually a reading from the Psalms), an OT reading, a reading from one of the Gospels, and the Scripture reading associated with the sermon. And, sometimes the Benediction is a Scripture reading as well. Often, some of these readings are either in unison or in responsive reading. However, all of the Scripture is put up on the screens for us to read -- so there is never any trouble with anyone "having trouble" in following along.

2. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I'm with you. I have difficulty with anyone who relies on the KJV, other than for the sake of comparison. Other than that, I think it's helpful to have a translation that is used for public reading, but the preacher should consult many sources.