1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Would you know a demon possessed person if they stood before you?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Apr 30, 2015.

?
  1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    73.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. I've observed a casting out event.

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  4. I've assisted in casting out a demon.

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. I've actually prayed and cast out a demon.

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  6. Demons are no longer a part of the church scene.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Demons cannot possess a believer.

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  8. Demons cannot oppress a believer.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I rather enjoyed ITL's OP on D&G and the Baptist preacher who uses a ritual like prayer before the servics to "take away Satan's legal ground" in his church and in his people! I found the video of Pastor Worley to be sincere and his concern for the congregation touching!

This is why I am asking, would any of you know if a person was demon possessed or oppressed? And if you believe you are personally capable of recognizing a demonic spirit controlling a another person, do you believe that you are able to cast it out?

And while I'm on this, have any of you ever encountered a demon, and if so, did you successfully cast it aside and out?

Maybe I should go one step further, and inquire if any of you reading this OP actually believe in demons, or like with the gifts of the spirit, did the work of demons (possessions, oppressions, temptation, etc.) ended with the book of Acts or sometime thereafter?

:wavey: Please try to keep this OP free of jokes and mocking. I am trying to start a discussion on a serious topic that the video of Win Worley got me thinking about! THANKS!!!! :thumbs:

2. fourwedge

fourwedge New Member

Yes and I'm not sure

I believe in demons and certainly believe the can be cast out. Jesus did it right! As to whether or not I've ever seen one... Can't say.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rd2, you've called me a demon having never met me.

Aside from being a liar and false accuser --you need to scale-back your judgmental calls, take stock of yourself instead of others, and stop your normal m.o.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People who are demonized often want to be demonized. They believe that the demonic spirit provides power to them. If you cast a demon out of a person who does not want to be free, you actually leave them in worse shape because they will leave themselves open to more oppression/possession (Luke 1:24-26).

Unless wants to be a disciple of Jesus, you should not cast out the demonic. The method of doing that is simple, present the gospel*. If the demonic power interferes, then bind it and continue. If the person comes to faith, Jesus will sent away the demonic spirit.

* The gospel I'm referring to is the call to follow Jesus in discipleship (like in the Gospels), not the so-called gospel which is simply a sin/forgiveness transaction based on a certain view of the atonement.

5. beameup

beameup Member

Encountered many possessed/oppressed of demons since November 16, 2010.
    Usually it is a surprise when someone, often close to you, suddenly "switches" personality,
    only to attack you verbally. Never had a physical attack though. The "clues" are there, but often overlooked.
    Whether it be possession or "oppression" (in case of carnal Christians), the results are virtually the same.
    Never had any luck in them even identifying themselves, hence, no "casting out".
    Tearing down the spiritual Christian is their goal.

#5 beameup, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  6. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do believe demonic activity is as rampant, in fact worse than it was in the Lord's day.

There have been occasions where I was certain there was a demonic presence both in people as well as in/around structures (in houses for example).

Never been asked to cast one out and not sure my reaction if I were. Nothing to play around with. I have asked a Pastor to meet with someone I suspected, and still suspect of demon possession. The fear he had was apparent, he just asked a few questions and ended the interview. I was very disappointed.

God bless.

7. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heard John MacArthur tell of an occasion he was called in to cast out a demon and upon entering the room the girl began kicking him in the shiuns and screaming "No, not him, get him out!"

He said his first reaction was "I'm not wanted here? Fine!" lol

His second was "I was very glad...they knew which side he was on."

Have a niece in law who claims to see dead people, but says she never sees them at my house. It is my belief that demons avoid born again believers and that we shouldn't go looking for them. If the Lord means to mploy us in that ministry well know.

God bless.

8. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a pastor, not a 'ghostbuster' nor a paranormal researcher, but I have counseled dozens of people who exhibited involuntary demonic manifestations right in front of me. In this day and age we are seeing such a plethora of devilish activity that it is no longer any surprise to me and my fellow counselors to see it.

People in the general public are being confronted with demonic forces before their very eyes but don't understand what they are seeing. Take for example the movie 'S. Darko', the sequel to 'Donnie Darko' in which the young actor Jackson Rathbone actually went through a facial transformation and was temporarily possessed on camera. The reason I know this is because I have the DVD and have listened to the audio commentary by the director Chris Fisher and his cinematographer admit with great surprise that 'he pulled it off' without special effects.

(Note: click the first picture if you wish to view it as it happened. Warning: it is not nice.)

[​IMG][​IMG]

There are thousands of such examples, especially in horror movies and in popular entertainment. Another obvious example was the dance that Beyonce did at the Super Bowl hafltime performance a few years ago. Not only was her wicked dance demonic but her face turned wretchedly angry and her eyes became as black as coal.
    [​IMG]

That isn't hard to figure since she publicly admits that she is possessed by a spirit called 'Shasha Fierce' and that that spirit enables her to perform the way she does.

Demonic activity will continue to get worse until the coming of our Lord. Come quickly, Lord Jesus!

#8 Calypsis4, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I leave the casting out in the Lords hands. Since he is the only one that knows them!... Brother Glen

10. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't remember that, but if you say so, let it be so! I am sorry, you are correct that I am a "false accuser" and I suggest you move on. Holding anger against another for a heat of the moment thing does not bear well for you! Forgive me, and you will surely sleep better tonight! :sleep:

BTW - I will forgive you for calling me "a liar and false accuser," because I am sure it was done out of anger, like my referral to you being a demon!

Let all be forgiven, at least my slate is clean! :smilewinkgrin: Shalom! :praying:

11. beameup

beameup Member

Just as a side note, I believe demons are disembodied spirits of the nephilim.

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that we are seeing a direct/head on battle setting up between the Kingdom of satan and Jesus now, as we have Satan in the Body with false doctrines such as WOF/Loves wins/All religions equally valid, all lifestyles are ok by god now etc...

would say the clearest demon possessed persons have to be those in ISIS chanting while cutting off heads and burning people alive in fire!

Think caution and a balanced view is required here, as we do not need to see demons in everything, such as a dead car battery or running out of gas, but also need to have discernment in spiritual matters...

Also think that if there is a real possession of someone, it would always be a non Christian, and that we need to be in great prayer before this happens, and that we stand firm in the Lord and his might!

And every time someone had a demon cast out, it happened quick!

13. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you know this by experience?

Actually, the Bible doesn't tell us how long the people who had demons had to wait for deliverance. The time factor is never mentioned in scripture as an issue.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course we all believe in the demons that existed during the ministry of Christ. And we believe, not only Christ, but also His disciples cast out the demons. And we believe that if a person is not indwelt with the Holy Spirit, then the cast out demon or other demons might return and put the person in a worse situation than they were in before. All this is taught in scripture.

This issue arises in the claim demon possession exists today. Some believe demon possession was a special situation for the life of Christ in order to demonstrate His power over evil.

Does the Bible provide a definitive answer, one way or the other? I think not, but perhaps someone can offer a verse or passage?

15. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the ideas.

I've already stated it but,

Neither give place to the devil. Eph. 4:27 written many years after Jesus ascension. Why would the Holy Spirit give such a warning if it wasn't/isn't possible for believers to be oppressed by devils?

II Corinthains 10:4-5 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

The same question applies here: if it isn't possible for Christians to be affected by devils then why do we have the warning? Paul was clearly talking about the war being in the mind (imagination, thoughts, etc.).

As a pastor with 31 yrs experience in counseling I can tell the readers that I have experienced dozens of demonic manifestations in professing believers and supernatural occurrences on numerous occasions. There is no question in our minds that the Bible was quite literal and it still exists in our day.

P.s. do you see the small blue winking faced emticon above? I did not put it there and it doesn't show up on my pre-post typing screen, nor can I get rid of it. I've seen this before. Devils who like to mock preachers that fight them in spiritual warfare.

16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You typed a semi-colon next to a closing parentheses, thus making your phone, or tablet, create an emoji. No demons involved.

;) semi-colon parentheses

:) colon parentheses

Get rid of it in your post by typing a period in the place you had typed a semi-colon.

10:4-5 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds.)

#16 InTheLight, May 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015
  17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When Jesus and paul did that in the Bible though, the demon always was stated to go out right away, as to show the power of the Lord over satan...

ONLY time that they had problems were either those who tried to mimic what they were doing, or when they had lack of prater and faith!

18. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeshua1

I have to agree that that is the way things appear in scripture but three decades of experience in this matter has revealed that if the person I am dealing with won't surrender some of their sinful habits and/or attitude then the devils can remain....even for many years.

The Bible gives us the basics and what we need to eliminate devils by the power of Christ but it did not give us all the details. It is mum on the time factor for there is no direct teaching in that regard. By analogy, it can be compared to a young mechanic who has learned all the textbook knowledge he needed to fix cars but as he practices 'hands on' repair work he discovers in time things that were not mentioned in the text. It was surprising to me as a pastor who helps people on a regular basis but it was a reality I had to deal with because the Lord laid it right in my lap many times. Examples: multiple personalities, astral projection, black magick curses, and host of other problems that are not specifically mentioned in God's holy Word.

19. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I stand corrected I will accept it. However, I have seen both symbols and messages appear on computers screens that appeared mysteriously and without explanation...i.e. messages on the IM that finish by saying 'Satan is Lord' by beings that are not even on my buddy list is more than just a typographical or mechanical error.

Best wishes.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, those who had demons in them are always the unsaved, and everything jesus commanded them to go out, they just did!

And the holy spirit can do anything he wants to if freeing up a lost sinner to receive christ, and the Cross already broke the power of satan over those now saved in christ!