1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would You Let a Known Lesbian Perform at Your Church???

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I normally don't watch Larry King, but, last night (4/23) was a night with very little on television, so I stopped by his show, and stayed through the end as Larry, Ted Haggard, and this lesbian singer/artist, jumped all over the pastor from San Diego.

The issue was her being a lesbian, and claiming to be a Christian too... Of course Haggard and King really jumped down the theological throat of this San Diego pastor, and even though this pastor was quoting Scripture - that supported his points - he was no match for the three of them.

Of course, one must not forget that King is in the middle of his seventh divorce (and might be trying to make his soul feel like God is not judging him). Than there's Haggard, who was outed, and removed from his huge Denver church and the NAE, which he headed at that time (I'm sure he's still trying to make sure that God justifies his sin). Then there was the singer, defending her right to be both a lesbian, and the right to be a Christian (and like King and Haggard, she was fighting to soothe any guilt she may have over leaving the narrow path, for the wider road to Hell. Which is MHO).

Man, that was a debate that I would not want to be involved in. So, I wondered what you folks would have to say if you were in this position on the Larry King Show. Would you take the singer's side, or, would you agree with the attempts of the pastor, who claims he was simply reaching out to a believer who lost their way in their walk with the Lord???

Well, this is your opportunity to speak up. Would you let a confirmed lesbian come to your church and minister in music and share her testimony???

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

Check out the story at:

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No she is in open sin and needs to be

1Co 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is My Opinion, too....

.... but, the three of them see it differently. It made me realize how messed up the world is when it comes to what God will accept, and not accept.

Your point is right on, and similar to what the San Diego pastor was trying to tell them. Of course, Haggard seems to be the self-appointed know-it-all, when it comes to homosexual sin and the church.:sleep:

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Whats the name of the San Diego preacher??

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Do you let anyone living in open sin speak/sing in your church?

6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Nope..wouldn't be singing in the church. Wouldn't be a member of the church. Neither would be let an open drunk, adulterer, theif, etc sing or be a member.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly. I know the rabid vocalness of those who support "Christian homosexuality". I've had discussions online about the subject and I was actually told to shut up because of my hate-filled homosexual beliefs. Of course I'm not at all hate filled with regards to this but just plainly stated homosexuality is a sin and is not acceptable to God just like any other sin. But I'm bigoted and hateful because of that. Oh well. I'm not going to change their minds and all I can do is pray that someday they see the truth.

8. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Would You Let a Known Lesbian Perform at Your Church?

Uhhhh, NO!

9. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn't let anyone involved in known, unrepentant sin be in any kind of leadership, including performances.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There is a big difference in letting someone in blatant, open sin take a leadership position in a local church, and having the congregation issue church discipline towards the goal of restoration. The two have nothing to do with each other, and I am very surprised the two would even be compared. And no, I do not subscribe to the theory that someone in open sin, after a period following restoration, can never be in a leadership position again. Such a mindset tells me that the person believing that does not really believe that Christ can make a new creation. However, each case would have to be taken individually.

11. Peggy

Peggy New Member

Open sin, no.

But what if someone who was lesbian or homosexual and led a chaste life? If they didn't want to or couldn't change their same-sex attraction, but vowed to never act on their urges?

All people are called to chastity in their station of life, whether it be married folks, single folks, or homosexual folks.

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://phoenixchorale.org/pressroom/boys-to-men-vi/
    *Phoenix Metropolitan Men's Chorus
    **Camelback Bible Church
    This church's pastor serves with Baptists Albert Mohler, John Piper, Mark Dever, and Thabiti Anyabwile on the Council of The Gospel Coalition!

13. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does your reply mean you approve of secret sin?

Who is without sin?

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It would be dependent on how they identified themselves and where they stood on Scripture regarding homosexuality.

16. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

This resonates with me.

I certainly don't think the homosexual lifestyle is God's ideal by any means, but it's something a number of people struggle with.

Basically, we all have blind spots, and though I might not let an open homosexual Christian perform at a church function, I think it's high time we stop pretending that sexual sin is somehow grosser or more sinful than any others. There are people openly sinning in every church, some with gossiping, others with idolatry, others with pride, others with any number of other cancerous kinds of sin.

What's worse, most of these people don't think they're doing anything to be ashamed about.

If we're going to come down on homosexuality, we have to be willing to do so with other sin.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

They are not a featured group but an additional group. And as someone said, there's a difference between providing a facility for the community and actually endorsing something although I wonder if the church was aware when this was arranged that there was a pro-gay group there too.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You have some excellent points in this post. First of all, the lifestyle in mentioned in this post is disguisting to me, without the Bible or Scripture. Therefore, for me to point a finger at someone who struggles with this, is being a hypocrite on my part, because it is a sin that has zero appeal to me.

You are correct. In God's eyes, sin is sin. It seems to me that we have, as Baptists, elected the worst sins of the century. That would be drunkedness, adultery, same sex relationships, and even invented some that are not sins, such as dancing, card playing, and lottery tickets, even though I participate in none of them.

But it is also amazing that we have also elected sins to be non sinful. When was the last time you heard a sermon about gossips, tale bearers, backbiters, and those that cause dissention in the remote corners of the church? When was the last time you heard a sermon about people stuffing their fat guts at the latest pot luck, then grabbing their fat stomachs and laughing about it? When was the last time you heard a sermon about modern day idols, whether it be a new car, a new house, a bank account, a superior job, or some other such worldly nonsense?

And maybe worst of all, why have local congregations for years, tolerated deacons, or others in leadership positions who shun people trying to join a local church because they are either a different race, class, or not quite as well off? Why is it when a homeless person walks in, very few shake their hands?

No, I would not let an openly sinful person lead a service in any capacity. But let me tell you one thing, those who bring up the subject and are sitting in judgement better make sure that their own house is clean, based on God's laws, and not your imaginary list of best and worst sins.

Believe it or not, one day all will be revealed, and lots of you holier than thous are going to get crushed by the big thumb. "But Lord, I did this and that for you. Depart ........"

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No one is without sin. And as I said above, all sin. I do not think she meant she approves of secret sin. By its nature, that being secret, there is no basis for denying a leadership position.

20. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

RevMitchell had worded it this way, so I stated my question with his wording.

Where do you draw the line on "sin" and letting people who sin lead in services? How do you decide which sin is one that is "okay", but not another?

What about the sin of arrogance?

Do you allow a pastor to tell a joke about a black woman, but he decides to use the "n" word during the service?

What about letting a deacon serve whose wife is a gossip??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.