1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you marry a divorce person

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by John3v36, Jul 19, 2002.

1. cdawg

cdawg New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Larry,
    To answer your question, "Why is remarriage absolutely forbidden if the fruits of repentance have been manifested?", I would have to say based on Jesus statement that the "remarriage" is sin.

"Whoever puts away his wife, except for fornication, and shall marry another, commits adultery: and whoever marries her that is put away commits adultery." (italics mine) It seems to me that it is the remarriage is the problem here.

Joining the church. The only situations I have dealt with on this are within the "uncertain area" for me. Still, they have expressed repentance for their past. If someone was clearly in the wrong and refused to repent of it, I would have trouble presenting them for church membership. I know there are members with unconfessed sin, but if they are stubbornly unrepentant (for any sin), I'm not sure they are ready for membership.

As to the rest of your question, I'm not sure I understand the part about a double standard. A believer who lives in sin of any kind and does not repent will face the discipline of God. It will affect his fellowship and effectiveness.

I think it is hard, maybe impossible to have a absolutely consistent view of this problem. I'm sure that it will continue to be a point of debate, controversy, and contention for some time to come.

CC

I hope this provides answers and doesn't muddy the issue further. [​IMG]