1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you stick around?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jedi Knight, Apr 20, 2009.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

If a pastor teaches tithing then he should take the lead otherwise he is a hypocrite. And contrary to the accountant on another thread he should tithe his gross income including his housing allowance.

Of course I don't believe that the tithe is required of Christians so I don't believe in that practice.

By the way the associate should probably resign.

2. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

How do you know if he or any other member is tithing?

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't comment on his tithing because I really don't know what's going on there, nor is it any of my business, but a pastor making 90k a year? I can't even comprehend such a thing.

Our pastor recieves a small allowance, mostly just to reimburse his expenses and I can remember when it actually cost him money to stay as pastor of that church.

Don't get me wrong, we should pay our pastors and pay them well, but $90,000??? That's...a lot.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

lol...I know plenty of pastors (associate and senior) who make that amount and then some.

It is a pretty relative number. Often cost of living in certain locations is significantly higher than others.

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

If a person has not 'first' gone to the one whom they have an issue with (or an issue regarding something about that person) and comes to me declaring their greivence, then I will tell them (friend or not) to stop gossipping and go to that person first and to try to work out whatever the problem is - if possible.

For them to 'First' come to me and proceed to talk negitively or (God forbid) tear down that other person - without first having gone to them, then they are not looking for your advice but are looking for company in what they are doing.

As I stated, it was only advice. Do with it what you will just understand I wasn't trying to be offensive only speaking what I believe scripture tells us to do. If both these men are godly men and are loving as well as prayerful, then if I'm wrong the worst that happens is that there is now an issue that is both known and potentally able to be resolved with prayer and love one way or another without wounds and hurt. The best thing that can happen is that it is resolved right then and there :)

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes, but sad to say I personally know of a church where they have 50 thousand dollars in savings setting in bank and great offering that continues to increase that amount weekly. They just built a new 200 person santuary, open air pavilion, (and still are debt free) and are looking build in the very near future a large outside building (forgot exactly what) as well as a steeple put up, both by about years end. And yet they pay their pastor 1,100 a month or $13,200 a year.

#26 Allan, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  7. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"yet they pay their pastor 1,100 a month or $13,200 a year." Now this is ridiculous! "sad to say I personally know of a church where...." Ok, no gossip! lol

#27 Jedi Knight, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  8. Allan

Allan Active Member

What I stated isn't gossip, they have no problem with it and don't deny it and I have already addressed them on it.

Your friend was upset at his pastor and told you not his pastor with whom he is upset.

My statement is about the situation of church who has enough to build building but pays their pastor next nothing - and yes, it is a sad thing. My statement concerns the fact that many of us pastors don't even get 20,000 much less 90,000.

It appears that your issue with me isn't my statement about what he should do and what he did, but really concerns what gossip is and is not.

9. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

"What I stated isn't gossip" Sorry Bro,I was teasing you.:tongue3:

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

I could not tell. No problem. :thumbs:

By the way, that same church is going to vote this Sunday about calling me to be their potential new pastor :)

11. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

"By the way, that same church is going to vote this Sunday about calling me to be their potential new pastor" I will pray for you on this!:smilewinkgrin:

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

Being honest, I would appreciate it.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I hope they pay you more than the last guy! LOL

I'll be praying too. May God give you wisdom and favor to know if this is the church where you should be ministering.

14. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would calling somebody an idiot, such as you did me, be tolerated at your church?

15. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a pastor has a second job he should probably tithe based on that amount but tithing based on his church income is kind of weird, as he's just paying himself.

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

I tend to be concerned when an associate will air complaints to others about his pastor.

If there is some patently unbiblical stuff going on, there are avenues within the church to address that.

But your friend is complaining to someone who cannot help him.

Also, another concern: you've listed two totally different complaints from him...

Whenever I see someone complaining about multiple, unrelated issues, I tend to wonder if it will be possible for them to be satisfied in their current situation. Sounds like your friend should do some soul-searching.

I say that as one who has been on his side of the fence before...I've been "the complainer" in a past position. I ended up having to make some changes, and it made me much better equipped to handle things. The Lord never did work on the person I was complaining about (at least that was my perception), but He worked on me...and that made a big difference.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Why should a pastor not set the example? Who cares if it's "weird?"

18. queenbee

queenbee Member

What a creative way to state the issue SN! Have to agree - it's called setting an example and exactly what we should expect from those in leadership! Honestly, how can I learn from and practice what I've been taught, if my leader is being two-faced about issues? Would you feel comfortable lying, cheating, stealing, because the senior pastor had set the tone for that? Of course not! The issue needs to be dealt with at ministerial/council level and 'friend' needs to stop gossiping about this to those who can't do anything about it.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But he's not just paying himself because there is the general running of the church and missions. He's shorting the church the money that it needs to run itself and support it's ministries and missions.

20. PeterM

PeterM Member

As a pastor, I would never lead my people to do anything I am not willing to do myself or am already doing. I teach tithing... ergo I tithe.

As to the question of staying or going, the amount a pastor earns is largely unimportant so long as the man is faithful to the calling the Lord and the Church have issued. The fact that tithing is taught but not practiced by the pastor and that the information is public may cause me to knock on his door. If other priorities are lacking in the ministry as well, the philosophy of ministry I hold may not jive with his... I am probably going to be praying for the Lord to open the door for me to quietly step away.