1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you take the swine flu shot?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Sep 30, 2009.

?
  1. Yes, I have to keep my job

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Yes, but I would make a big stink about it

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Yes, beacuse, I dont want to be a bad Christian witness

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Not sure

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. NO - NO - NO

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. I would find some way to get out of it

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. Other answer

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billreber

billreber New Member

I will not get the H1N1 shot (or the common one) this year. I spent 20 years in the USAF, faithfully got my mandatory annual flu shot, and faithfully got the flu every year. Since I retired in 1992, I have not gotten a flu shot OR the flu!

If my job/employer required me to get the shot, I would get it, but I would also tell them beforehand that I would probably get the flu, and that I would insist on the maximum sick leave I could get, with pay, to avoid infecting others. Since I have read that an H1N1-infected person can infect others up to 10 days after any symptoms have disappeared, that should make about 2 weeks off with pay!

Bill :godisgood:

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There's a supporting vers in in 2nd Opinions chapter 13.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The regular seasonal flu vaccine already contains an H1N1 vaccine. There will be a separate vaccine, however, for H1N1a. Next year, H1N1a will likely be included the regular seasonal flu shot.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The H1N1 that is in the seasonal vaccine is not the same H1N1 as the swine flu. It's actually an H1N1-type virus - A/Brisbane/59/2007. So the regular flu shot will not contain the swine flu or protect against it.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm aware of that. That's why I noted the difference between H1N1 and H1N1a. I probably shoudl have made that a little clearer.

#25 Johnv, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2009
  6. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never taken a flu shot, nor do I ever intend to start. There are so many flu strains that you can get a flu shot for strain A, B, & C, but get hit with strain D & get sick. I think flu shots for the most part is a way to cause panic amongst the crowd.

My assistant manager said she's going to get one & sounded panicked about it. If I get sick, I'll deal with it when it happens. My main plan is to stay pumped up with Vitamin C. While it doesn't help you when you are sick, it does boost you immune system prior to getting sick.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I get the flu shot each year because, honestly, I get the flu each year unless I get the shot. So, in the interest of keeping my family from imploding, I get the flu shot. My husband also gets it because of his severe asthma. I think I'll also get it for my 17 year old because it's seeming like she got sick a lot last year and she's already been sick a few times this year so I think it's a good idea. :) But the other 3 kids will not get it.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never had one. Even when I was in the corps I was able to avoid it. My family has never had one. Don't see the need for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.