1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would your church cooperate with this ministry?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

First off, as one who has just spent the last 3 hours working on our church website, theirs stinks. LOL - They need to get SOMETHING on that site!

As for the project, I think it's a great idea - but my only thought is that is it going to cost more to run than it would to just buy the produce? If it's $28,000 a year to run it, that's a LOT of food you can get wholesale by other farmers AND you will be supporting local agriculture. But if that's just to get it started and the overhead will be very small, I think it's a wonderful idea. I'm not sure if our church would cooperate with the ministry in financial support because that would have to come before our deacon board and pastors - and honestly, we try to fully support our own missionaries ourselves, so our missionary finances are tight. But it's a great endeavor.

3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you like to be the webmaster for our site:wavey:

Faith Bap

In case you are wondering, we will not be helping - at lest for now, because one we are too small - ie very few people and a small treasury.

Also not only is the ministry Pentecostal, but of more importance, when we get into the food ministry, our deacons and their wives will take the food to the home. They will not just put a band-aid on the problem but we will attempt to preform "surgery"

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh heavens no!! I've got more than enough work to do myself and I have plans!! Such plans!! LOL - You can see our site at www.nbc.org

That's good that you're thinking it through. Sometimes Christians rush into things then realize later it was not the wisest choice.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

7. North Carolina Tentmaker

Sounds like a great ministry opportunity.

One of the men on my ordination council farmed about 2 acres of vegetables. Perhaps another acre of corn. He was retired. Beyond personal consumption he gave every bit of it away. I went with him a few times. He had a list of 30 or so widows that lived in the county. He would load up the truck and we would go pass out everything he had harvested that morning. He said that was his ministry. Every once in a while he would ask for help with something but for the most part he did it all himself.

I am not sure what the 28k will pay for. The article mentions insurance for the volunteers. Are they going to need a storage facility? How are they going to handle distribution? We always just passed it out the same day or the day after it was picked.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Certainly! Seems like working out the Gospel for those the Gospel was intended to serve!

What a terrific idea!

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

They want to grow a garden and give away food, am I right?
    What could be the problem with volunteering to work a garden for giveaway? It doesn't mean you have to attend another church or change what you believe. It means a bunch of people in your community, including you would give your time to help grow this garden so those in need could eat. Little money involved, just time.