1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wouldn't you want to be blessed by Jesus Himself?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by CatholicConvert, May 29, 2003.

1. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

I am curious about your meaning when you ask if God cannot be with His people thru a priest. Do you not believe that Christ sent the Holy Ghost to be with each believer? Am I misunderstanding your meaning? if so please explain exactly what you meant.

Concerning your view on a foretaste of glory I strongly dissagree for when we reach heaven there will not be a man standing between me and God just as there is no man between He and I today
    Murph

2. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Now sarcasm does run rampant on the BB but I wanted to look at this post and explain why I don't feel it is over the line. The origonal post stated their belief that it was not the priests hands but the Lord's himself. It is my undertstanding ( i invite correction) that catholics do believe they are ingesting Christ so in my opinion what Singer said here is a natural progression of previously stated material. As I said I am ready to be corrected. I would also like to add that while sarcasm is healthy at times we should all strive to act in a christian manner on the baptist board.
    Murph

3. CatholicConvert

CatholicConvert New Member

Hello Murph --

Do not think I have had the pleasure.

Well, one thing I did explain is the way which we as human beings are made. We are made to be loved. Part of that love is human touch. When I made the original post that started this thread, the subject matter was how I felt it must have been wonderful to have been touched by our Lord's hands in blessing. Human beings are made to express love through touching.

But now that He is not with us, that touch is missing, except that it is available in a kind of a way in the hands of a validly ordained priest in the Catholic and Orthodox Faiths.

As for the Holy Spirit, I think it important to remember that He is a different person than our Lord Jesus Christ. He has a different function in the Blessed Trinity and does not have a physical body as our Lord Jesus does. Therefore, the extension of Christ's physicallity in the priest is a very logical extension of the union between Christ and His people.

The example of this we have from Scripture is the "one flesh" relationship of the husband to the wife. In like manner, we are also "one flesh" with Him, and therefore, I feel this can easily extend to the priesthood. The Sacrament of Orders confers upon the man recieving it a special relationship to the Lord in which the man bears the power of the Lord, and in certain Sacramental situations, is no longer present. We may see the priest confecting the Eucharist, but it is really Christ, the unseen Host Who is doing that which He did at the table of the Last Supper.

As for you Bob, once again you demonstrate a magnificent misunderstanding of the Bible. The priesthood being discussed in Hebrews is the HIGH PRIESTHOOD. Did you EVER hear of CONTEXT?

Heb 8:1 ΒΆ Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;

If you wish, I'll git the crayons out and draw a picture of this for ya. Seems you cannot seem to differentiate between the high priesthood and the regular priesthood and the priesthood of all believers. No wonder you are one confused puppy.
    If you are going to try to pass yourself off as a Biblical scholar, try to at least do your exegesis within the context of the chapter, okay?

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

5. Singer

Singer New Member

The origonal post stated their belief that it was not the priests hands
    but the Lord's himself. It is my undertstanding ( i invite correction) that
    catholics do believe they are ingesting Christ so in my opinion what
    Singer said here is a natural progression of previously stated material.

The point was pounded and pounded at us, cross referenced and enforced
    in recent threads; that it is the ACTUAL Body of Christ that is being eaten.
    When I contested that, the approach was changed to SUPERNATURAL and
    then to ACCIDENTAL. With all that insistence, still noone could answer as
    to why the apostles did not eat Christ's body at the last supper, but rather
    drank the wine and bread as offered "in remembrance of me".

It seems the belief and practice as the Catholics promote today came about
    some time later (maybe 400 years). It definitely was not preached or
    practiced when Christ was here.

Many issues are that way in Catholicism. When cornered on an issue, there is
    alot of backstepping, adding more explanations that only cloud it more,
    claims that the Catholic sources cited by the contender (yes..Catholic) are not
    reliable or did not have authority and even total denial of the claim.

It's always the "Poor Me'' attitude. "Why is everybody always beating on Catholics"?

Take that bread and wine issue.........
    Would it ever be possible to explain such a scenario to a class of 6-8 yr old
    children and expect them to form a reasonable understanding of how bread
    and wine are the Actual body and blood; yet Christ could have offered
    his body and blood but did not....only offered bread and wine...?

It just doesn't add up. It's a promotion of the bible in a way that is foreign to
    common sense.

[ May 30, 2003, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: Singer ]

6. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

Indeed, this is what we believe.

Umm, please quote where we CHANGED our stance. Number one, because something is supernatural does not also mean that it is not participating IN nature. The Eucharist is Christ's physical body and blood, soul and divinity, shared with us by supernatural means. As far as the "accidents," this refers to the seeming appearance of bread and wine that remains, not to Christ's body and blood.

The Apostles DID eat Christ's Body and Blood, for Christ said, "This is My Body ... This is My Blood." Any other interpretation is forced into the text.

First off, Christ instituted it the night before he was betrayed, and then he was only on earth another 40 days before He ascended. He wasn't "here" very long, in the sense with which you speak. However, Saint Paul tell us about this, and it is testified by early Church writers like St. Justin Martyr. To hold your view, you need to show early writings that state that it is purely symbolic; otherwise, you are arguing a negative stance, which simply does not work.

No, when tangential arguments and other spurious attacks are thrown in the midst of single discussions, it is hard to stay on track. Our explanations are clear; but when they are rejected, or said to not be understood, we try to present them in more understandable ways for you.

Only if the source truly is contrary to Catholic teaching! I have nothing to hide about my faith.

So you, above, attack the Catholics on the board. C'mon now.

Is it easy to understand that the infinite God was fully contained in the MAN, Jesus Christ? No, that defies logic. But Jesus said we should have the faith of a little child. So, to answer, yes. It is very possible.

Thank you for your opinion.

God bless,

Grant

7. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]An explanation of what you intended by this verse would be very helpful. Thanks in advance! God bless,

Grant

8. CatholicConvert

CatholicConvert New Member

That's your problem. Where do you find anywhere in the Bible that is says that God's ways are for man to totally understand?

The Muslims could say the same thing regarding the idea of God being existent in the Blessed Trinity. It doesn't compute in their minds, so it must be false.

The beauty of our God is that He is ever mysterious to us, ever above and beyond us and our comprehension, EVEN IN HEAVEN. That is what Heaven is all about, an eternity learning about Him and never exhausting the mystery of Him and His universe.

Cordially in Christ,

Brother Ed

9. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Once again, Ed, Protestants and Catholic talk past each other over the definition of terms.
    Maybe you better tell me just what you mean by the term "blessing". I'm sure Protestants and Catholics would come up with different meanings.
    What advantage does a Catholic have over a Protestant, as far as Heaven is concerned, by receiving the "blessing' of a priest, a nun, or the pope himself for that matter.
    A blessing to me would be an answer to prayer, or seeing a loved one come to Christ, or getting some new light from God's Word.
    Once when I was trying to explain the gospel to a Catholic, I asked him if he knew for sure that he was on his way to heaven. Do you know what his answer was? He told me that he had an uncle that was a priest. I just dont understand that type of mentality. I'm sorry.
    So, define what you mean by "blessing"

10. Singer

Singer New Member

(Brother Ed)

"The beauty of our God is that He is ever mysterious to us,...........................

(Grant)

"Is it easy to understand that the infinite God was fully contained in the MAN,
    Jesus Christ? No, that defies logic. But Jesus said we should have the faith
    of a little child. So, to answer, yes. It is very possible"

Grant, you can recall the Accidental Supernatural Actual comments from last
    week well enough without my digging up the archives.

The comments above attest to a mysterious feature of ingesting Christ's Body and
    Blood. Understanding the mysteries of God could hardly be compared with
    understanding an assumed mystery of the Eucharist. It isn't a mystery at all to a
    Protestant.....Christ explained it very well as "in remembrance of me". If He had
    attempted to offer the suggestion that we today are to consume his actual body,
    wouldn't he have offered it to the disciples at the time ? Why would he tell them
    one thing and imply a different meaning for us today ?

The Eucharist is Christ's physical body and blood, soul and divinity, shared
    with us by supernatural means. As far as the "accidents," this refers to the seeming
    appearance of bread and wine that remains, not to Christ's body and blood.

If the diciples were eating his body and blood as he handed out the bread and wine,
    then why did Christ still have a body when they got done...? In Nebraska we call
    this " having your cake and eating it too" !!

The Apostles DID eat Christ's Body and Blood, for Christ said, "This is My Body ...
    This is My Blood." Any other interpretation is forced into the text.

No they didn't eat His body........ He was still there and intact, not bleeding,
    not missing an arm when they got done eating the very thing that you contend
    was his body. Am I missing the description of the word ''Actual" or what ?

To hold your view, you need to show early writings that state
    that it is purely symbolic; otherwise, you are arguing a negative stance, which simply does not work.

To prove YOUR views, you need to show how they ate his body when his
    body was still there....uneaten .

You're insulting the intelligence of mankind by that kind of preaching.

"No, when tangential arguments and other spurious attacks are thrown in
    the midst of single discussions, it is hard to stay on track. Our explanations
    are clear; but when they are rejected, or said to not be understood, we try to
    present them in more understandable ways for you."

Well it ain't workin for a few million non-Catholics, Brother.
    Besides, there IS no "more understandable" way for me to believe that
    they ate his body and blood when they didn't actually eat his body and
    blood. No manner of unsolved mysteries will ever cover for that one.
    Now if you want to attempt to resolve the issue by saying that the bread
    and wine are "replacements'' (if you don't like the word 'symbols') of His
    body and blood, then I could swallow that.

Luke 22:19
    And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake [it], and gave unto them,
    saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

11. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

This, I believe is a total slap in the face to God almighty, who's sun shines on the good and the bad, blessing them every day of their lives. (matt 5:45). The good recognize this. That is the difference. We need his blessing every day. We need his grace every day. And we need to be fed by him every day.

12. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Could you please explain for me a bit dear, what you are thinking here. We don't sacrifice goats and bulls in Catholic Churches last I checked. We do re-present the one finished sacrifice of the Cross performed by our savior Jesus Christ so that the grace of that once for all sacrifice may be applied to our lives today.

Blessings

13. Singer

Singer New Member

(Quote Thes)

This, I believe is a total slap in the face to God almighty

Well I agree with Mozier, so it's two against one and majority rules !! ;)

14. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

:rolleyes:

15. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

No, I don't remember it, and even if I did, that would not explain your lack of coherence in describing it, or the Catholic belief.

Why not? Because you said so? What other evidence for one being "easier" to understand than the other? I don't see any, except your little personal testament. God is infinite and eternal. Man is finite and mortal. Jesus Christ was God Himself, and yet also man himself. If you think you have your mind all the way around that, congratulations. I guess you're not really a human, cause don't know of a human brain that can fully comprehend it. Last I checked, the Incarnation was a matter of FAITH, not scientific reasoning, since it defies our concepts of scientific fact.

In the same way, it is an element of FAITH that we believe that the same infinite, omnipresent God can manifest Himself in the Eucharist. Neither is easier or harder to accept in the other, if one trusts the Word of God. The only thing hendering you from believing is yourself, and your personal faith. Nothing more.

Oh, He spoke English? The actual, historical meaning of the words Christ chose carried sacrificial overtones. And, I agree, we certainly REMEMBER that one perfect sacrifice when it is re-presented in our very presence. You have not debunked anything there.

You're putting your personal belief into Christ's words, which is not present in the text. "This is My Body," not "This represents My Body." "IS" not "REPRESENTS, TYPES, SIGNIFIES, STANDS FOR," or any other similar word. You read into the text. I read the text. In the words of St. Augustine, Christ held Himself in His own hands.

Quite simple. He didn't.

First off, you fail to realize that God is omnipresent. He is everywhere. You cannot diminish Christ. Christ is TRUE GOD and TRUE MAN, and His two natures are permanently united. Thus, God the Son is omnipresent. Now, taking this into account, and reading the story of the multiplication of loaves (John 6), just before Christ commands that we eat His Flesh and drink His Blood, it all makes quite a bit of sense. There were only so many loaves, but suddenly, from that limited number, a virtually infinite number arose (considering had there been infinite people, the bread would still have satisfied them all).

Again, you force an interpretation that does not exist in the text. And you doubt the very being of God, that He is omnipotent, and can do anything and everything, which includes re-presenting His very Self to His disciples at the table, even while He was standing in their presence.

So, what you just admitted is that your view, like mine, is unprovable, and based only on our faith in God's Holy Word. Which makes you no more correct than anyone else, especially since the Word of God is not subject to individual interpretation.

Yes, that's what they said to Jesus when they told Him that He didn't have the power to forgive sins. And that He was not really the Son of God, since He was CLEARLY the son of Mary. I didn't realize that faith in God and His ways depended on our level of intelligence and understanding. Why don't you go read God's rebuke of Job for presuming to understand better than God.

I see. Since millions don't believe, that means we are wrong. Too bad for you that Christ predicted that would happen, when He told the Jews that they must eat His flesh, and they said, and told Him that this was a hard saying...who can accept it? And then they walked away. Man, that is starting to ring some bells in modern times...

Number one, the issue was resolved when Christ spoke the words of consecration over the bread and wine at the table and transubstantiated the earthly elements into Himself, and entrusted this Sacrament to his Apostles that they might share this intimate relation with Christ to the whole world. Your believing or disbelieving does not change the Truth. Nor will I back down from my position to appease your desire for "rationalizing" God's Word.

God bless,

Grant

16. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

That is pretty funny, considering that as Catholics, we do not believe that, but in non-Sacramental Churches, the belief is just that, that the bread only represents Christ, and thus, is very much so only "standing in" for Him. [​IMG]

God bless,

Grant

17. Rakka Rage

Rakka Rage New Member

how do you re-present the sacrifice that Jesus made? i was not aware that Jesus work needed to be re-applied before it could be applied to our lives today? did your priest tell you that?

18. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

how do you re-present the sacrifice that Jesus made? i was not aware that Jesus work needed to be re-applied before it could be applied to our lives today? did your priest tell you that? </font>[/QUOTE]To those who do not believe no explanation is good enough.

Blessings Rak

19. Singer

Singer New Member

Topic was....Understanding the mystery of the Eucharist:

Why not? Because you said so? What other evidence for one being
    "easier" to understand than the other? I don't see any, except your little
    personal testament. God is infinite and eternal. Man is finite and mortal.
    Jesus Christ was God Himself, and yet also man himself. If you think you have
    your mind all the way around that, congratulations. I guess you're not
    really a human, cause don't know of a human brain that can fully comprehend it.
    Last I checked, the Incarnation was a matter of FAITH, not scientific reasoning,
    since it defies our concepts of scientific fact.

In the same way, it is an element of FAITH that we believe that the
    same infinite, omnipresent God can manifest Himself in the Eucharist. Neither
    is easier or harder to accept in the other, if one trusts the Word of God.
    The only thing hendering you from believing is yourself, and your personal
    faith. Nothing more

Grant, I'm glad you said all that, because that is exactly what salvation is based
    on. (Faith) and to quote you...."Nothing more"

That should be the beginning and end of the line concerning our salvation. (Faith in the
    fact that Jesus Christ rose from the dead). The alternative would be that Jesus
    DID NOT raise from the dead. The alternative is NOT ...how we grasp the
    eucharist, how we confess our sins, whether we attend mass, how we see
    the Catholic Church's involvement in history etc.

The Biggie Question from Jesus is....."Who do ye say that I am".?
    Not.................."What do you consider the bread and wine to be"?
    Not.................."Did I start a Church on earth"
    Not.................."Is Peter the rock or am I"
    Not.................."Who is the Bride of Christ.

You and I can flunk out completely in the courses on the Eucharist, Mass, Rock,
    Transubstantiation, Catholicism and Bride of Christ and still get an A+ in
    Salvation. There is an insignificant emphasis on the former when the prize is
    salvation.

Your concept of who Jesus was is important, Grant.
    My concept of blood and wine, rocks and popes is Not.

20. Singer

Singer New Member

Originally posted by Singer:
    It isn't a mystery at all to a Protestant.....Christ explained it very well as
    "in remembrance of me".

Oh, He spoke English? The actual, historical meaning of the words Christ
    chose carried sacrificial overtones. And, I agree, we certainly REMEMBER
    that one perfect sacrifice when it is re-presented in our very presence.
    You have not debunked anything there.

Denouncing the English language does not surprise me considering how you
    denounce the KVJ Bible itself. Don't you think God is bigger than Catholicism
    and has the ability to appeal his plan of salvation to some of us modern day English
    speaking sinners ?

You're putting your personal belief into Christ's words, which is not
    present in the text. "This is My Body," not "This represents My Body." "IS"
    not "REPRESENTS, TYPES, SIGNIFIES, STANDS FOR," or any other similar word.
    You read into the text. I read the text.
    In the words of St. Augustine, Christ held Himself in His own hands.

"Christ held himself in his own hands"......now that's a new one, Grant .
    Augustine's terminology only proves that Catholics have been constructing
    phrases to work their cram-down theology on an otherwise intelligent race
    of humans for 1900 years or so (And it's not working). Even my young
    grandchildren could understand that what Jesus offered for ingestion was NOT
    his body.

What the heck do you call that thing that housed the person the apostles
    identified as Jesus then ?