1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrong Numbers in the Modern Versions

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Will J. Kinney, Mar 28, 2004.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanx for posting the linx & the info, but I doubt that many KJVOs will believe what Wallace, Metzger, or Kutilek have written. They hold those men in the same high disregard that we hold Riplinger or Ruckman. The difference is, many of the tall tales of R and R have been clearly disproven while the statements of Kutilek, etc. have NOT.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Will;

Someone it appears is wrong or slanted.

You even wrote on your website, " The Greek texts include 629 (fourteenth century), 61 (sixteenth century), 918 (sixteenth century), 2473 (seventeenth century), and 2318 (eighteenth century). It is also in the margins of 221 (tenth century), 635 (eleventh century), 88 (twelveth century), 429 (fourteenth century), and 636 (fifteenth century). Just look at what Metzger writes and what you have on your website. That is close to what he writes. I find it interesting that both you and he claim almost the same thing about the manuscript evidence. It doesn't mean that a saying or writing didn't occur as we know those things did. But I don't see any manuscript evidence from the Greek texts to indicate this. So I am interested in taking a look at the other sources you post.

I took a look at other parts of your website and noticed several quotes from the Early Chruch Fathers. I have a search ability on the documents and could not find one single quote of any I searched.

So to start with could you reference the quote by Tertullian, " 200 AD - Tertullian's quote is debated, but he may well be referring to the phrase found only in 1 John 5:7 when he says: "And so the connection of the Father, and the Son, and of the Paraclete (Holy Ghost) makes three cohering entities, one cohering from the other, WHICH THREE ARE ONE entity, not one person. Just as it is said "I and the Father are one entity" refers to the unity of their substance, not to oneness of their number."

Could you also give me the reference to 250 AD Cyprian of Carthage, wrote, "And again, of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost it is written: "And the three are One" in his On The Lapsed, On the Novatians. Note that Cyprian is quoting and says "it is written, And the three are One." He lived from 180 to 250 A.D. and the scriptures he had at that time contained the verse in question. This is at least 100 years before anything we have today in the Greek copies. If it wasn't part of Holy Scripture, then where did he get it?

I would like to take a look at the quotes first hand. So if you could give me the references would be great. Thanks

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually Michelle, I am convinced that God is using the men of today to sort through the mess and give us God's word. I think if you were to take a look at some manuscripts or copies you would see what I mean.

I do not take the position of older is better nor that newer is better. Each must be examined on its own merit. If you don't think scribal errors are possible just examine a copy of anything. I noticed that in one of your previous posts you did not capitalize Greek. We all do those kinds of things. Books edited several times have typos in them. We don't have the original just the copies. The more times something is copied by hand the greater the chance of errors. Try copying something yourself from a book and then compare it. You will make mistakes. I assume you are a spiritual person and tries to walk with God. But you will make mistakes. I have tried the exercise I suggested and I have made mistakes.

4. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

While I understand what you mean here, I believe Michelle believes that God also inspired the scribes in such a way that mistakes were not made in the path leading to the KJV, thus making it perfect.

While I agree with most who say only the original writings were perfect - I sense that KJV folks believe otherwise. Therefore the newer found, older manuscripts are meaningless. :(

5. michelle

michelle New Member

Peace and love to you all in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour!

--------------------------------------------------
    gb quoted:

Actually Michelle, I am convinced that God is using the men of today to sort through the mess and give us God's word. I think if you were to take a look at some manuscripts or copies you would see what I mean.

--------------------------------------------------

gb,

This really saddens me. I cannot believe what I am reading from someone who claims to love the Lord. All those posts that you provided that try to justify with scholarly reasons on why this verse does not belong in God's word of truth, is very unbelievable to me, as a born again christian sees another christian believing. I just cannot believe, that now all these scholars of today, try to justify the omittion of one of the best testimonies to the trinity we have been given, and God has preserved for those who love him and obey and keep his word. This only shows, that you believe man and man's wisdom, over that of God and his promises. Are you sure that who you are convicted by concerning this issue is from God's Holy Spirit of truth? God has convicted my heart that this omittion is not, nor cannot be from him. I must reject it, for it denies the truth, and excuses the omittion of the truth the Lord has imparted upon my heart and has preserved perfectly for generations of believers.

love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour,
    michelle

6. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Michelle, maybe I missed the verse(s) you're referring to here- what passage of the Bible are you talking about, and how does it deny the Truth of the Trinity? (Chapter & verse, please.)

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How can I defend myslef against such evil judgments? God knows. He is the one who is fully capable of judging. But somehow in her spirit Michelle tries to take his place. She is the great judge. She does know the heart of every man.

You are so holy to make such outrageous statements! Is that your God? Are you the standard by which others are judged? James says that is evil. "But as it is, you boast in your arrogance; all such boasting is evil."

Point me to one time where you posted any evidence to support you viewpoint. The Only evidence I remember reading is, "The Holy Spirit told me."

The woman in Texas who stoned her children made the same claim as you.

Being proud of your ignorance is a testimony that goes against 1 Peter 3:18 and 2 Timothy 2:15.

Again, I ask where is your evidence? Or did you have a burning in the bosom?