1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

X-Mas

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

No problem at all - except not to cause offense to another believer.

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never used that version of Christmas out of respect to Him, as well as not offending others. I think it is up to you, in the end, so do as you feel led, but, if it offends be just as quick to apologize. Merry Christmas.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the above link:

"In Greek, the original language of the New Testament, the word for “Christ” is Χριστός, which begins with the Greek letter that is essentially the same letter as the English letter X. So, originally, Xmas was simply an abbreviation of Christmas. No grand conspiracy to take Christ out of Christmas. Just an abbreviation."

The earliest paprii use abbreviations for the holy names. Here's and example:

“οτι ο νομος δια μωϋσεωςʼ εδοθη· η χαριςδε και η αληθια δια ι̅υ̅ χ̅υ̅ [Jesus Christ] εγενετοοτι ο νομοςδια μωυσεως εδοθη η χαρις και η αληθειαδια ι̅υ̅ χ̅υ̅ [Jesus Christ] εγενετο·” (John 1:17, P66)
    Rather than an affront, Christians might use it as an opportunity to point to the cross - the ultimate purpose for his birth.

#4 Deacon, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the Greek lesson, or Hebrew? Whatever, I found that interesting, and can see your point. The problem is, you would have to re educate everyone that thinks you were trying to take Christ out of Xmas. I do think your explanation was good, and I will pass it on to others if you don't mind?

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been teaching from 1 Samuel recently and in last weeks lesson we began teaching about David's anointing. The base word for anointing in Hebrew is related to Messiah. It is translated in the Greek Septuagint with a word similar to Christ.

My lesson last week was that David as king was to be a little image of the future Savior. As Christians we too are to be little images of him.

Genesis 1 says we were made in the image of God; man's original purpose was to be an imager of God in the world.

Rob

#6 Deacon, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another 'X-Mas' thread? Must be December again...

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The atheists hate "xmas" too. I use it in texts and file names. Writing or typing, Christmas is no more work than xmas. It's formal, and just dang prettier.

Would never buy a card that just said "xmas."

9. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a few out there who think Mass of Christ is pagan idolatry regardless of abbreviation.

However, I understand the word Christmas has morphed in the not so distant ecumenical past--it no longer means mass of Christ. The holy wafer is still an abomination--all morphology notwithstanding.

Following the Truth will estrange one from the family and the brethren. Jesus said this would happen.

The daughters are returning to their mother.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It matters not what "X" meant in the Greek in another time. The fact is this "X" means nothing to people in America in our day. Every year someone makes that argument I have no idea why. There are all kinds of things competing with the true reason for Christmas. Secularism, consumerism, santaism etc. The fact is the name Christ is offensive to the lost and many are in fact trying to have Christmas without Christ. The idea that somehow taking Christ out of Christmas is not anything against Christ is flat out absurd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.youngcons.com/city-counc...the-word-christmas-to-tree-lighting-ceremony/

12. Natha

Natha Natha - India
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christmas is become as a traditional festival, there is no true practice in people,, Jesus is not born in their hearts but they are celebrating in a high level.. very sad..