Xp/linux dual boot

Discussion in 'Computers & Website Forum' started by TC, Jul 16, 2016.

1. TC

TC
    Expand Collapse

I have an old Dell latitude laptop running xp pro and I want to install Linux in a dual boot setup. Is there any particular version that would work best?

Sent from my SM-S766C using Tapatalk

2. Smyth

Smyth
    Expand Collapse

Let me help you:
    1) Select a distro, there are hundreds to choose from, but only a couple dozen worth considering.
    2) After you select a distro, select the desktop environment you want, most distros have less than a dozen to choose from.
    3) Choose 32-bit or 64-bit. This is usually a no-brainer.
    4) DOWNLOAD!!!!!!

When you install it:
    1) Choose what file system you want, most distros give you less less than a dozen to choose from.
    2) Etc.

Which version? Only you can decide that. Try them out and see what works best for you.

3. Smyth

Smyth
    Expand Collapse

If you think the above situation is hard on users, it's even harder on software developers.

Here's my recommendation for an old XP laptop: Mint distro with MATE desktop, 32-bit version.

Mint, because it's one of the most polished and friendly distros.
    MATE desktop, because it's well maintained and it may work better on older hardware.
    32-bit, because computers with older processors and less memory run better with 32-bit software.

4. exscentric

exscentric
    Expand Collapse

You might try googling for try WUBI, it installs within windows but gives aa dual boot option upon booting, You can read about it and see if it would work for you.