1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

xxxxx is Not A Win32 Application - WinXP Repair

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by SpiritualMadMan, Oct 7, 2004.

1. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

I have had this crop up on a couple of systems so far and I have not found *any* *real* fix for it...

This is especially frustrating when a program that was working fine suddenly starts giving this error... (I use "List.Com" a lot at home.)

So far, the only fix I have found is to run WinXP's Repair Function...

I really wish I knew which Registry or Software Modules were involved though...

BTW: So far I have been very pleased with WinXP's repair function... I am not talking about the Repair or Recovery "Console"...

If you boot from your Install CD and let it go through the initial Setup Screens until *after* it has looked for and found the original Windows Installation you can then use the install Function...

It looks like it is doing a normal install but it leaves all your programs and profiles intact...

It will also ask for the CD Key (I believe it is the key from the disk you are doing the install from).

2. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Sounds like you're seeing this because you are trying to execute a 16bit application. Windows 2000 and above's system applications are in (assuming C: is your system partition)...C:/windows/System32 . You usually get a xxxx is not a valid Win32 application because you are trying to execute an application or driver that is DOS compatible or Win95/98/ME compatible but has not been upgraded to be functional in 2000/XP/Longhorn. Those apps. and hardware drivers use completely different "New Technology" and are not using any DOS based commands to execute.

If you get that error, try updating your drivers...for example if the error is an app. that will run on Windows 98 or a driver that is Win98 compatible, you'll need to get the latest patch for that app or update the driver. Alternatively, if you're executing Operating System commands from the command line or the run box, browse out in the run box to /Windows/System32 NOT the /Windows/System directory or the /Windows directory alone.

3. Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast New Member

might try setting it to run in compatibility for windows 9x. under the properties dialog.

4. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

You folks missed the most important issue...

It *was* working without *any* special settings...

Then *everything* that would run in a DOS Window suddenly stopped working.

This even included "Setup.exe" files that worked on 'other' WinXP systems...

Running "Repair" fixed it... I'd just like to know *why*????

It was like some security setting had got scrammbled even though I tried it in Administrator and my own Admin account....

It *now* works... But, it is *really* perplexing and frustrating not to know the 'why' of what happened...

Thanks for your input, though... At least I know someone is listening! :D

BTW: This was originally a 'Clean' install of XP SP-1...

Also the programs wouldn't run from anywhere under any log-in...

Apparently there is a file, somewhere in XP that can tell when it tries to load an executable that it requires some compatibility and when set up right will in most cases auto switch to the appropriate mode...

Though, even when XP will run List.Com... There *are* still a few old Win98 programs I haven't gotten to run under *any* configuration or settings...

5. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

That is because that family of programs uses actual DOS code. Win9x thru ME all include DOS code in the OS. Win2000, Xp, and Longhorn don't include ANY DOS code at all. Some .exe apps and command line commands are not downwardly compatible; some are. I believe your help file should contain a list of executables you can access via the command line.