1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Yahoo Pipes

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Don, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

what is it for, and what does it do?

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently, it's a competitor to Google's developer APIs. Create applications, using Yahoo's interface.

4. UnchartedSpirit

Still confused...what type of applications? Is it just another program like python?

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No experience with Python, so can't compare.

It's more like a widget creator.

On a "I haven't really played with it yet" basis, you can set up a search feed for your favorite web sites, and filter it to see only updates (i.e., new messages to you from your social networking websites, and headlines regarding a particular topic from whatever news websites you want to identify).

That's just a surface scratch. One of the examples they give is linking apartment advertisements to Yahoo maps, so that you can see the locations of apartments in the area you want. Personally, I'm thinking that if that were tied to Google's new visual maps, you could actually see the exteriors of the apartments you're looking to rent (check out the neighborhoods, etc.).

If the apartment had interior photos somewhere on the net, you could go so far as to link those, too.

As a church locator service, figure out how to enter the type of church you're looking for and what area, and it would then give you an interactive map.

Just the tip. The more imaginative, the more creative, the more you could probably get out of this thing.

6. UnchartedSpirit

well, I know nothing of programming either, even HTML. However it also looks like Outlook, you have to have a personal computer to use it...