1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Yankee pres say players are richer than owners

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Salty, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yankee President Hank Steinbrenner says that the team does not owe any player anything. (in regards to renewing contacts)

One comment by a reader says "Players have no loyalty so why should imbecile fans. the game has changed and all fans everywhere need to speak with their wallets and stay home."

Players such as A-Rod brings in some 25 million a years - and who know how much in other endorsements.

From the article: "Now 36, Jeter hit .270 with 10 homers, down from a .334 average and 18 homers the previous season. While his RBIs increased by one to 67, his on-base percentage fell from .406 to .340 and his slugging average dropped from .465 to .370. An off year or the start of a career-ending tailoff? No way to tell."

He only hit 27% of the time (okay his on-base average was .385)

My goodness if I only found 38%- let alone only 27% - of my taxi customers, I doubt I would still have a job.

Thoughts?

#1 Salty, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2010
  2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Perhaps not, but this statement is nothing more than posturing.

Why should players have loyalty to a team? Nobody has ever explained to me why a player should be loyal to a particular team when the team doesn't exactly promise loyalty in return.

Absolutely ridiculous comparison. You can't compare the 2 professions like that.

3. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Yankee pres say players are richer than owners

Whose fault is that - I wonder who writes the checks!!!

Was real happy that the Yanks didn't go all the way this year!

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Curt Flood - when he went to court and challanged the reserve clause.
    Once players could change teams - they could write their own ticket. At first it wasnt too bad, but now it has gotten way out of hand

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Like cc said, this is a dumb comparison. Jeter was a league average player last year, but still good enough that he was better than the vast majority of men who try to play baseball professionally.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, WHO is largely responsible for the astronomical baseball players' salaries? GEORGE STEINBRENNER! While he didn't give A-Rod that massive contract, he DID buy it right up and add to it! Not to mention the MANY other players he bought in the past by simply offering more $$$ to free agents than anyone else could.

I know Hank aint his dad, but if he doesn't offer the $$$ to certain players, someone else will! Many owners calculate how much that player will being in at the gate or in the souvenir store as compared with what he must pay him. Remember, those dudes didn't become rich by being stupid, and most, unlike Hank, didn't just inherit daddy's $$.