1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Yard Sales - income should be tithed??

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Carolyn Dee, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Carolyn Dee

Carolyn Dee New Member

Should the money I make on yard sales be titheable?? My husband says NO because money used to pay for the original items have already been tithed on. I say YES because it is fresh income. What do you think??? [​IMG]

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Scripture says you are to submit to your husband so his answer is the answer for YOUR family. [​IMG]

Do a search for tithe. There's a lot of information on a recent thread that you might find interesting.

Diane

3. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Technically your husband is right on this one.

Since I suspect you did most of the work getting ready for the Yard Sale then you certainly have a say in how the proceeds are spent. :D

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I would say no. We tithe on our gross, tithing on a garage sale would be like tithing on our income tax refund. It is 'fresh' money also, but we have already tithed on it...

JMHO,
    §ue

5. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

I would agree with your husband in general, however, at my last tag sale, we had items in it that were given to us and therefore never tithed on. Rather than try to figure it all out, I just tithed on it anyway. I figure that I cannot outgive God and he will take care of it in the end anyway.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Why are you worried about giving too much money to God through the local church?

Why give 10%? The NT never requires such a gift. In fact, you should consider giving all of it. It is obviously money you don't need, since most of these things had been sitting around the house unused for a very long time and the money was not needed for you then.

This kind of reminds me of the story of the Pharisees who adjusted their oaths so that they could swear by heaven, so long as not by the altar in heaven, or swear by the temple, so long as not the gold of the temple. It was legalistic parsing of the issue.

I would consider looking at the issue from a grace perspective, considering that since you have come into some money that you did not have and do not need, what can you do with it for eternal value?

7. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

Pastor Larry,

That is true, but Tithing, though not mentioned in the NT directly, is still applicable to us today. Many will say that it was part of the law. However, tithing was instituted prior to the law. It is not an issue of legalism, it is an issue of obedience.

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I did not mean to imply that our 10% tithe is all we do. That is just the beginning. All other monies are 'love offerings'...

You can never out give the Lord!

We have proved him o'er and o'er!

9. Cix

Cix New Member

(From Easton's Bible dictionary)
    Tithe
    A tenth of the produce of the earth consecrated and set apart for special purposes. The dedication of a tenth to God was recognized as a duty before the time of Moses. Abraham paid tithes to Melchizedek (Gen_14:20; Heb_7:6); and Jacob vowed unto the Lord and said, “Of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.”
    The first Mosaic law on this subject is recorded in Lev_27:30-32. Subsequent legislation regulated the destination of the tithes (Num_18:21-24, Num_18:26-28; Deu_12:5, Deu_12:6, Deu_12:11, Deu_12:17; Deu_14:22, Deu_14:23). The paying of the tithes was an important part of the Jewish religious worship. In the days of Hezekiah one of the first results of the reformation of religion was the eagerness with which the people brought in their tithes (2Ch_31:5, 2Ch_31:6). The neglect of this duty was sternly rebuked by the prophets (Amo_4:4; Mal_3:8-10). It cannot be affirmed that the Old Testament law of tithes is binding on the Christian Church, nevertheless the principle of this law remains, and is incorporated in the gospel (1Co_9:13, 1Co_9:14); and if, as is the case, the motive that ought to prompt to liberality in the cause of religion and of the service of God be greater now than in Old Testament times, then Christians ought to go beyond the ancient Hebrew in consecrating both themselves and their substance to God.
    Every Jew was required by the Levitical law to pay three tithes of his property
    (1.) one tithe for the Levites;
    (2.) one for the use of the temple and the great feasts; and
    (3.) one for the poor of the land.

IMHO tithing is legalistic and not binding in the New Testament Church. Tithing literally means a tenth. Why give a tenth when you could possibly give 1/15th or 1/18th or 1/20th, or if you are in financial hardship, perhaps 1/8th or 1/5th. As long as you have given it cheerfully. (2Co 9:7) Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If you and your hubby can't agree, then you don't do it.

11. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

cix,

Even your post shows that the tithe was established before the law. Hence it is not legalism. Malachi (not part of the law), states that we should prove that God will bless us greatly. Tithing is not a hardship on anyone. If you tithe, God will bless you greatly. I do believe people should give more if able. I give far greater than 10%. The tithe is what is required, but we should not do just what is required, we should go above and beyond cheerfully.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Malachi 3 is addressed to and concerns the sons of Levi. They were doing all sorts of evils against God and the people of God. One of them was keeping some or all the tithes the common folk brought them thus , "shall a man rob God" "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse" was a command to the sons of Levi.

Tithing is fine, but the tithe is not a NT requirement, giving is to be done by faith whether 1, 5, 10, 50, 75 or 100 percent. The giver's heart is the issue not the amount of money.

The Sabbath, circumcision and several other things came before the Law. That is not a criteria.

"God loves a cheerful giver".
    "the just shall live by faith".

HankD

13. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. The individual who started the thread believes in tithing, therefore input contrary to this goes outside the bounds of this thread. Since she holds to tithing, she should tithe off of the income on yard sales if that income is generated from items that were given to her.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So do I, By faith.

HankD

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not income unless you receive more for the items than you paid for them + any incurred expenses or liabilities in the transportation and the use thereof.

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The tithe is not required in the NT. 1 Cor sets down the guidelines as regular, proportional, and cheerful. Too many people get away with too little becuase of the tithe. And the tithe, prior to the Law, was not given to teh church. We are living in teh church age.

17. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

This is (IMHO) the proper answer. Paul said in Romans 14:22 "So whatever you believe about these things, keep between yourself and God... everything that does not come from faith is sin". She has it in her mind to tithe, and there is no strict admonition to tithe or not to tithe, and Paul said earlier, "Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind".

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Most people who have yard sales do so because they could use the extra money and not just because they have lots of stuff.

Diane

19. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most definitely.

As for the original post, I would agree with the position that the tithe has already been paid, but if you believe in your heart that you should give from this money, then that's perfectly ok too!

20. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

I was once told by an old saint, "If in doubt......just do it." Personally, I do cheerfully give back to the Lord what He impresses me to from our garage sales. He will bless your effort. [​IMG] [​IMG]