1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Yard Sales - income should be tithed??

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Carolyn Dee, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Carolyn Dee

Carolyn Dee New Member

Well, this has been an interesting discussion! I do thank you all for your input. Now, I was thinking about somethin' else...how about tithing on FOUND money? (You know, if you see a bank bag containing mucho moolah layin' on the sidewalk :D ).

BTW, I shall submit to my husband on the original question. Now, if I can only sell his golf clubs...!

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

"You know, if you see a bank bag containing mucho moolah layin' on the sidewalk"

I would take it to the police before I would wonder about tithing on it. [​IMG]

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Tithing was instituted prior to the law? In the same way as the Seventh Day Sabbath?

Tithing is not required for the Gentiles of today, Sacrificial Giving is, which is often more than 10%.

If you want to have a yard sale, why not donate the proceeds to the Leprosy Mission. Join the second group of people that Jesus welcomes to Eternal Life.

4. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Larry has said...

Not wanting to play the devil's advocate here, but sometimes that's why people have yard / garage sales; because they NEED a little bit of extra money.

Just my two cents worth (no pun intended :D (well, okay maybe))

God Bless!!!

Adam [​IMG]

5. I Am Blessed 24

Speaking for myself, when I go to all the work to have a garage sale, it is DEFINITELY because I need some extra money for something!

I feel God is still the one providing for the need (through the garage sale profits)...

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Have you ever been to a yard sale??? These things are filled mostly with junk that has been sitting around unused in teh basement or the garage or the closet for several years. If it were being used, then it probably wouldn't be being sold (as a general rule). I know becase our block just had a yard sale on Saturday and I know what was on our tables and I know what was on everybody else's tables. People are selling things they don't need or don't want. The truth of the matter was that people have lived without that money for years. They don't "need" it; they want it for something.

I think the idea of "need" is in need of clarification. "Need" means "I can't survive without it." Yard sales are usually not money you "need" but rather money you would like to have to do something extra with.

Truth be told, arguing how whether to tithe on yard sale money or found money is hilarious to me. It is no wonder that churches struggle financially and missionaries take years on deputation. We have people nickle and dime-ing God to death. Just give the money folks or don't give it ... But don't be so legalistic about it.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Pastor Larry, I'm going to guess that you've never been the one to run your family yard sales or that your church pays you a good bit of money and you've never had a serious financial need. Yard Sales are HARD work and not something I'd do just to get rid of stuff. If I don't need the money, seriously, I donate my used items to the Fullerville Mission. We gave them a NICE sofa that was too big for the room we wanted it in, a complete computer, lots of toys Nick had outgrown or didn't play with, clothes, coats, bedspreads and blankets, etc... but since our income last year was just over $11,000., any money I've made at yard sales was to pay a bill I really needed to pay!

My husband sold his piano and most of his stereo stuff to pay bills. We've sold lots of things we were using to pay our bills recently. We've even sold some family heirloom type things. :( I'm trying to sell Grandma Alcorn's silverware right now. I've sold some prized books.... Childhood items that are now collectibles... all on Ebay.

I would NEVER have a yard sale just because I had too much stuff!

Diane

8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I certainly didn't mean to offend you Diane. My church does not "pay me a good bit" though my wife is very ingenious with her shopping and people are very kind to us. I am commenting in general about yard sales I have seen.

The bigger point is my last paragraph. I really don't care who has yard sales or why they have them. I am more concerned about why there is discussion about whether or not we should give money to God.

9. Bible Student

Bible Student New Member

Good morning everyone. Larry I have to agree with you on this. The problem is IMHO, (this is not to mean everyone but most) is that we are not God-centered but self-centered today.

I work not to get for my self. Yes I have to pay bills and take care of my family but I work so that I have money to give to the causes of Christ. I want my treasures up in Heaven not on this earth! But that is not the thinking of most Christians today and I am sorry to say that but it is true.

I thank God he has given me the ability and health to work and I wish I could give more than I do now, maybe someday I can, because it all belongs to Him anyway.

Richard [​IMG]

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Well Pastor Larry, I wasn't offended so no problem but the op asked about this BECAUSE her husband said she should NOT tithe from her yard sale earnings. The answer is NO, not if the head of your household said NO.

If it's wrong and they should have tithed, the fault lies on his shoulders and not hers but if she goes behind his back to tithe from this money, then she sins.

Bible Student, have you ever noticed in the news how much money is spent going to the movies each weekend? It amazes me and I think of what could be done with all that money if given to churches or organizations that help those without food!

Diane

11. Bible Student

Bible Student New Member

Diane,

I agree with you. If we really believed people are dying and headed to Hell we would spend our money on those things that would reach the lost. Also, our widows and orphans would not have any needs becuse the church would have the money to take care of them as commnaded in God's Word.

Richard [​IMG]

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There are quite a few people on this board who falsely think that church that spend a lot of resources on the poor, homeless, etc, are all liberals. In fact, a few months ago, I was told that I was a "liberal" because I volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, which that person said was a "liberal" Christian organization that squanders resources on the needy.

13. Karen

Karen Active Member

My family went to the dollar movies a couple of weeks ago to see "Garfield" and had a great family time doing it.
    I don't see it as so all or nothing as it SEEMS in your's and Diane's posts.
    This summer, for example, we also spent a noticeable amount of money to send our oldest on a missions trip. He was on a roofing crew in an inner city for a week, helping a number of people. Direct personal witnessing was also going on.

Everybody is responsible before God to use their resources wisely. But there are going to be individual differences in how this is lived out.

Karen

14. I Am Blessed 24

"In fact, a few months ago, I was told that I was a "liberal" because I volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, which that person said was a "liberal" Christian organization that squanders resources on the needy."

Habitat for Humanity is a VERY good organization. We support it also! I have been told I shouldn't waste my time, food, etc. on the lost when there are plenty of poor Christians who need the help.

I believe we were ALL lost at one time! I also believe in 'feeding the belly' while 'praying for the soul'...

JMHO,
    §ue

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Thanks, Sue. Yes, H for H is incredibly wonderful. I've been truly blessed by working with them. I can't put in words how my heart feels whenever I see a poor family receive their keys to their own home, a home which I helped build. It makes me tear up just thinking of it. I think of Jesus' words, "Whatsoever yo do to the least of my brethern, you do also to me".

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Hey Karen, as a whole I think it's billions of dollars each weekend spent on the movies. We go once in a while too but generally Jim takes Nick during the day and gets the Sr. discount and matinee prices. Looking at the TOTAL spent shows how just one weekend donated instead of the movies could solve some major problems!

Diane

17. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is vey much a true statement, it could be said that many people have in fact lost their first love. Yet are blind to it.

18. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Technically, it is not income being realised here but the liquidation of capital, and therefore any 'tithe' will not be from income. If you are arguing that realisation of capital in this way should be tithed, then you should also be in favour of tithing any appreciation in your share portfolio or your house, or your pension fund....

Yours in Christ

Matt

19. Bible Student

Bible Student New Member

To stay on topic let me say that no one has to give God anything from any of money received. I believe it is a heart matter. If I need money and took the time to have a sale of old unwanted things and God blessed me with the funds I either wanted or needed, I would gladly give some of it back to God.

You see I believe it is God who brings the people to my house to buy what I have to sell. When I have a sale I pray that God will bless it and when he does I want to show my joy and thanks to Him.

Richard [​IMG]

20. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hmmm...no-one has yet answered my point about whether the tithing that some are demanding here from the sale is from income or capital...Is that so difficult?

Yours in Christ

Matt