1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Yellowstone/Grand Tetons advice and suggestions

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Songbird, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Songbird

Songbird New Member

Hi,

My dh and I are hopefully going to Yellowstone next June. We will be staying at a resort in Driggs, ID--someone gave us a deal for our lodging there. We'll probably be flying into Jackson Hole--unless someone knows of a closer airport. I have looked up the Grayline tours and other stuff to do. But I'd love some more help w/this.

TIA

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was there just a few weeks ago. What is it you are looking for?

Yellowstone is very spread out. The sites are covered over a large area. It takes at least one day to see most of them.

3. Songbird

Songbird New Member

Hi,

We're probably going to be in Jackson Hole for the most part--so western Wyoming. We'll be taking some tours probably through the Grayline Company. They have a full day (11 hour) trip. They also have a Grand Tetons trip for about 8 hrs. I like that company b/c they guides are well-informed, we'd see a lot of stuff and neither one of us would have to drive. We'll also have a rental car. We may venture out and get into the edge of Montana. It looks like it might be about 100 miles or so from Driggs, ID.

We're interested in historic sites and walking tours as well.

Thanks1

4. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I don't know anything about the other but Montana is so beautiful and worth visiting too. Hubby and I camped all the way there (using a pop-tent) and back, to FL several years ago...in 9 days. lol Saw several neat historical things. Loved it! [​IMG]

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a Wyomingite, let me share - rent a car and drive. Don't do "tours", you simply will miss too much.

And Driggs? The Idaho side is less beautiful and certainly lacks historic or the fun "touristy" sites.

Teton Pass has annual construction, so be sure to check the schedule (lots of times it is closed totally from 9 pm-6am).

Plan one day in Jackson. Elk refuge and just walking the town. Lots to do, shopping, history.

Plan one day in Grand Teton Park. Drive around, then hike a trail. The scenery overwhelms you.

Plan at least two days in Yellowstone. Esp from Driggs (where you have to go around the barn to even get to Yellowstone and it will eat up a couple hours) you need to do more than "take the loop". Don't miss Mammoth up in the north (off the beaten path).

In that area, there is not much across the border in Montana. If I were going to take 50 miles OUT of Yellowstone, I would go to Cody. River rafting, greatest museums in the West (5 under one roof), nightly rodeo that really is worth seeing (you can be very close up and expose kids to it).

And if you go to Yellowstone via Teton/Jackson and spend one night, you can go out the end of the next day via W.Yellowstone MT, then 10 miles south into Idaho and go thru some beautiful country. Waterfalls, etc, then on down to Driggs.

PM me if you have more questions. BTW, flying into Idaho Falls and renting a car there is MUCH cheaper than into Jackson usually. And about the same distance to Driggs.

6. Songbird

Songbird New Member

Thanks, Dr. Bob! I'll pass this along to my dh. He's around here on the Baptist Board.

We're staying in Driggs only b/c our lodging for 7 nites will only be $189. We plan on renting a car first thing. I'll check out the flights into Idaho Falls as well.

Can't wait!

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Know some nice hotels in Jackson that go for $189 a NIGHT. Man, you can drive a lot of miles (and scenery up over Teton Pass is outstinkingstanding) with that good of a deal.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It's interesting, albeit adolescently amusing, to find out now the Grand Tetons got their name. One of those interesting pieces of American history.