1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Yes, Another Wine Thread!?!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by richard n koustas, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterM

PeterM Member

:thumbsup:

another friendly reminder that CONTEXT is indeed king!

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Actaully that sort of happened Sunday. I visited another Church close by since my wife wasn't up to travel yet.

They actually gave you the choice but I took the wine because I believe that is the proper way.

To be honest, I don't think that would be a problem often. The types that use wine....have plenty of other doctrinal issues with the types that think it will corrupt you forever taking a tiny sip.

3. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

"Ye blind guides...'

Jesus did correct them when He made the statement 'But wisdom is justified of her children.' You are living in the 21st century trying to understand that phrase with your mind focused on the fact that all alcohol today is made with some amount of fermentation... even the so-called non-alcoholic wines that are made by Ariel Vineyards have a small percentage of alcohol in them.

Jesus told them in those words He was not drinking an alcoholic wine.

4. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I am trying to focus on how in the past alcohol was made without fermentation. How was that done?

Would you like to explain how alcohol is made without fermentation?

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Easy.
    I would carefully spit it back into the cup, get up, take my family and leave!

6. Diggin in da Word

Amen, Brother Jim! I would do that too.

7. whatever

whatever New Member

You must know how offensive that would be. Why would it be right for you to offend those whom you consider to be weaker brothers?

8. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Don't you know whatever---the testimony would lead them to the Lord:rolleyes:

Bro Tony

9. Diggin in da Word

The same could be said of the ones offering fermented beverage in the communion (which is forbidden anyway), don't you think those who know the truth are offended when given alcohol to drink in the sanctuary?

That is more than offensive, it is blasphemous!

10. whatever

whatever New Member

First, it's their church, not yours; second, by calling it blasphemous you are begging the question.

11. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

That is more than offensive, it is blasphemous!

And just where is your scriptural proof for that?

12. Diggin in da Word

Where is your Scriptural support that alcoholic wine is supposed to be in the Sanctuary?

13. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

This last statement has gotten me to thinking. This is a serious charge to say the least. This taken literally is calling many great Christians before 1900 blasphemers. This would include those who translated the KJV. With all the arguments concerning this on this thread, especially those who hate the MV's because of their claim that those on the translating committee were sinners, what does this indictment say about the KJV?
    It is not my intention to make this a version thread, just asking people to think before they post such strong statements as they will condemn many good people who came before us, who used wine in the Lord's Supper.

Bro Tony

14. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I am still waiting to hear how alcohol was made without fermentation.

15. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Bro Tony

They said wine but they probably just ment grapejuice. All the great Christians of the past could not possably have drank any alcohol. Or they would not have been Christians. IT was probably just grape juice, before they had the words for grape juice the just called it wine. Dont you know.

JK...........

16. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Where is your Scriptural support that alcoholic wine is supposed to be in the Sanctuary?

What does "supposed to be in the sanctuary" mean?

If you read all the "wine" verses in the Bible there are many that warn of the dangers of drinking too much. But there are none that flatly prohibited all drinking of alcohol in moderation.

I think that today there is no reason to drink at all, even in moderation. But in biblical times wine was the only drink that one could count on not to not make him sick. As much as I hate alcohol - there is not scriptural prohibition.

17. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Oh thanks DeeJay, I forgot---LOL...

Kinda like the dad that got mad because his kid got in trouble at school. He went to the principal and said that could not be my kid because my kid don't act like that. When the principal said there were those who saw him act up, the dad said, it could not be my kid because my kid don't act like that. When the principal told the dad his kid confessed to it, the dad said it could not be my kid because my kid don't act like that. Absurd---the dad's preconceive determination of his kid would not allow him to see the truth in the face of clear evidence. It appears that decease has infected some on this board.

Bro Tony

18. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I've heard this, but I'd give it more credibility if it came from a recovering alcoholic. Anybody out there who can give us a first-person perspective? Will that little sip of wine make you fall off the wagon?

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

There are many variances in alcoholics. Some could sip and maybe not go any farther. The problem is that sip breaks his vow he made with himself and others and then he don't feel the same inside because of breaking the vow he feels he is less of a person and would be more inclined to just go all the way.

You see Tom, that little bit of good feeling he has about himself doing something would be gone. The biggest reason for not drinking would be forever gone. A man, any man has to feel good about himself to do anything.

#39 Brother Bob, Sep 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2006
  20. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Not to mention, at Passover, how did they have grape juice that was unfermented? Pretty early in the year for grapes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.