1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Yes,the KJV has mistakes too

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Apr 19, 2013.

1. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Right. No need to apologize for your error.

Interestingly, many translation projects have not intended to encompass the entire Bible. Many translators have chosen specific books (like "The Pentateuch" and "Jonah" published by Tyndale during his lifetime), the Psalms and Gospels have been tackled by many, the 1769 KJV editor Benjamin Blayney did a translation of "Jeremiah and Lamentation" (1784), and more recently the "Wisdom Books" (among other portions done by Robert Alter). Many complete Bible translations have been issued in segments (ie "The Living Letters", etc. led to a Living NT and finally to Ken Taylor's complete Bible paraphrase). Finally, many translation efforts have been incomplete due to various circumstances: illness or death of the principle translator, lack of finances, and/or persecution (again, Tyndale's first and final works are examples).

#101 franklinmonroe, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
  2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Great post.

3. Phillip3

Phillip3 New Member

My experiences with KJVOnlism

I recently joined, but immediately left the Fundamentalist Baptist Church in our area. I became quite concerned with the KJVO stance that the KJV is the only INSPIRED word of God in any language and any other Bibles of foreign tongues MUST be translated directly from it.

I was told that only spellings were changed since 1611. I was told the NIV was a Satanic Bible.

I also watched as my own grandson was beaten with a belt every time he opened his mouth even if he was trying to help. I saw the preacher order a lady to whip her five year old in front of the church for going into the open sound room, as kids normally wander. I can't imagine the effect this had on the kids.

Most people believe this garbage and continue to beat their kids berate their wive's (after all the man is KING of the house.) I did notice with the exception of one family that the average education and probably IQ is quite low.

We were given replica's of the KJV1611. I noticed immediately that it wasn't a real replica because it did NOT contain the apocrypha which was indeed considered as Scripture in 1611 and further translations.

I am told the KJV has a 3rd grade reading level while the NIV is college. RIGHT!!!

I was immediately chewed out when I went back to my Southern Baptist church and was yelled at by my stepson that I was just rubbing it in their faces.

Sorry folks, but this is just my experience and I'm not trying to convince people they are wrong, but will let those decide for themselves. For me I like the NASB, ESV and Holman translations much better than at 1769 Oxford Bible in middle English. :BangHead::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    welcome, your first hand experience will prove "enlightening!"

5. Wherever You Go

Wherever You Go New Member

Phillip3, I am very sorry you had to endure that experience. I have never seen a church that was that way. I hate the fact that some people think of fundamental Baptist churches in light of the ones that take things to extremes like that. Ours certainly never would.
    :tonofbricks:

6. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

I AM a KJVO

Phillip...I am unashamedly a KJVO and I have NEVER been in a like-minded (KJVO)church that was like what you have described. You were right to leave because the problems that church exhibited were far deeper than what version of the Bible they used and upheld. By the way...I currently attend a moderate-sized SBC church. The problems that church had had NOTHING to do with any Bible translation. That is my opinion. I'm sorry you ever had to go through something like that.

By the way...Wherever You Go was absolutely correct about what he said about HIS church.....it is an excellent church that I would recommend to ANYBODY....and no...it is not a KJVO church (but their Pastor does preach from the KJV). It's a shame you don't live in or near Greenville SC.

Bro.Greg:saint: OOOPS.....Sorry ya'll...I said I wasn't gonna post any more in this thread...wasn't paying attention to which thread I was reading....MY BAD!!! (Heading Back Under MY Rock Now!!!)

#106 Gregory Perry Sr., May 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013
  7. Wherever You Go

:laugh:
    Uh-oh, you better repent for your carelessness! :smilewinkgrin:

We do still preach and teach from the KJ for all our church functions. As you stated, my church does not take an official stand on the issue, and many of our people use other versions in their personal life.

8. Wherever You Go

There are several people at our church who are firm KJVO adherents. And some who widely prefer other versions. Somehow, we have all learned to get along with each other and not allow it to divide us. That is my biggest concern about the translation issue, is when people do not recognize that A. differences of opinion will occur among believers on certain issues, and that doesn't make the other person a "bad person" or a sinner. And B. that differences of ideology are never grounds to be antagonistic or mean-spirited toward another person, even if that person is unsaved.

There are times when error must be corrected, and forcibly, in a church. But that comes when someone is in a clear-cut sin. Mean-spiritedness, or hatred toward another is sin, but believing a peripheral doctrine that is difficult to prove one way or the other, is not a sin as long as a person recognizes that they believe what they believe based on their best understanding of the Word of God.

I have a great deal of respect for those people who hold a different view of Bible translation than I do, but who can still graciously interact with people they disagree with.

Let us remember, it is not about winning arguments, but about winning glory for God. :thumbs:

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that where we 'fight" over versions of the bible is when we forget these truths of the bible!

the originals were the inspired/inerrant scriptures to the church
    NO version of the Bible is exactly the original scriptures, but both the Kjv and other modern versions are the word of God to us!

frankly, cannot see ANY valid reason one holds to KJVO, KJVP yes, but not KJVO!

10. Wherever You Go

I pretty much agree with you on that, Yeshua. I extend my KJVO acquaintances and friends the olive branch of peace. I disagree with you, but I do not condemn you. If you have the same respect for those you disagree with, we have a lot we can talk about, and I hope that there is a lot more we can discuss about the content and meaning of the Scripture, than its provenance over the past 1900 years. :thumbsup: