1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Yesterday it was Paid Maternity Leave; Today it is Expansion of the Medicaid Entitlement

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by InTheLight, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm with Trump on both of these. How about that.

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Oops! I composed a joke then remembered humor is no longer politically correct. EDIT!

#22 poncho, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I gave you the example of credit card companies congregating in states that gave them incentives. The same thing would happen with health insurance companies. That's how the "free" market works.

You are wrong. Again. (Just wanted to write that since you use the phrasing so often.)
    The health insurance companies are regulated as to the amount of rate increases they can inflict every year. It wouldn't be long before certain states would be known as insurance friendly states that would have higher allowable rate increases. They would do this to attract corporate headquarters and jobs.

I don't think the government would allow two divergent forms--single payer and private--to exist side-by-side. Like Canada they would likely outlaw private companies. Alternatively, people would drop their job provided coverage to get on the single payer plan because the government would be sure to make it less expensive. You see anybody over 65 staying on private employer plans or otherwise buying private plans when Medicare is available? No.

Thanks for making my point. If there were a single payer plan, no one would want to stay on their private plans.

The government running your health care would not have regulations? Would not have price controls? The very essence of single payer system is for the government to set up global budgets for health care centers to operate under. This is what leads to rationing and wage and salary controls.

Based on that quote I'm certain I know more about American history than you. Charity begins with people giving from the goodness of their heart, not with the government enforcing it.

From each according to his ability to each according to their need. Understand you loud and clear.

"I want to worship mammon." Someone said this, and quite recently--Once again you make things up. Shame on you.

Christian charity is one thing. Government enforced charity is a whole different ball game.

Is a part of my makeup, my very being. Taking someone's money, giving it to the government and letting them dole it out isn't my idea of Christian charity.

#23 InTheLight, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A better approach to the maternity leave issue would be to give tax incentives (yes, I know the Trump plan does this, and that's great). The problem I have with it is making the program mandatory. It does not take into account the size of the employer, their ability to provide this benefit, etc.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When did anyone bring up being a Libertarian? No sure what your point is???

I could think of a couple of people - Hitler comes to mind.

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Health insurance is not a credit card. You don't need a credit card. It is merely a convenience. You need health insurance. Huge existential gulf between the two.

If they could operate in a free market, able to cross state lines, there would be no need for rate caps. The free market place would do that.

It already does.

Why not?

Really? What heath care rationing have I encountered in the past 17 years of being with a single payer provider?

LOL! ROFLOL! That has got to be the funniest thing you have ever said on this forum, and you have said some really, really funny things!

If Christians would act like Christ and neighbors would act neighborly and help out more the government would not have to be involved.

So you think all Vets should be kicked out of the VA health care system because it is government funded? What do you suggest? That we beg on the street?

By the way, that reminds me, I asked you (and you conveniently ignored it) what do you propose to solve our health care crisis? You seem to enjoy criticizing everybody else's ideas but you don't offer any of your own.

So, give us your proposals for solving the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, sure. Show me where I said that. Sheesh. Give it a rest.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way. Still waiting for your solutions to the health care crisis.

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I didn't want to offend anyone by reminding them George W. Bush and Mitt Romney weren't conservatives either. But . . . :)

Speaking of Hitler . . . I just ordered a tee shirt that says "Everyone I Don't Like Is Hitler!".

10. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good one Poncho.