1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Yet Another HCSB Thread !

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And your contention is they used the same translation method? Or is it that the NIV is slightly less literal than the HCSB? Or, based on your examples the TNIV is slightly more literal. I have no idea.

My position is the HCSB used a different translation method, optimal equivalence than the NIV. I have not studied the TNIV, but based on gender translation, I believe it is considered less literal than the NIV. I understand the NIV2011 moved closer to the TNIV on the gender issue, but I do not know if they went overboard like the TNIV. Edit: Of apparently 3600 or so modifications to accommodate gender neutral wording in Todays NIV (TNIV2005) the NIV2011 retains about 2700 problematic alterations.

If we looked at a chart where the most literal is on the left and paraphrases on the right, the HCSB would be on the NIV's left by considerable distance.

#21 Van, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2011
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Timothy 2:12, most literal translation say a woman may not have or exercise authority over a man, but the NIV1984 and NIV2011 both say "assume authority." This introduces ambiguity (i.e. if a woman is appointed to an office, that would not violate this verse because she did not assume authority on her own volition. As I pointed out in another thread, by creating ambiguity, the translator opens the door to interpretations possibly driven by political correctness. HCSB says woman may not "have authority."

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The actual translational practice of the HCSB and the TNIV/2011 NIV is in essence the same.The HCSB is just a bit more to the left on the chart --not a whole lot to the left as you mistakenly think.

There are times in which the TNIV/2011 NIV is more literal than the HCSB though.

Yeah,and I have a couple thousand problems with misguided folks who come up with these so-called "problematic alterations'they think they detect.

Godly Bible scholars come up with differing conclusions on the minutia that Grudem &Co.come up with.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a complementarian. So was Calvin who used the virtually the same terminology as the 2011 NIV in this case. The is no political correctness involved here at all.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am through with this thread:

Rippon says the HCSB and the NIV used essentially the same translation method. I say they did not.

Rippon says adding thousands of gender neutral alterations to the NIV1984 is no big deal, he liked the discredited and abandoned TNIV. I think the NIV2011 will go the way of the TNIV. Time will tell.

I think it is fair to say a false teacher, or someone pushing false doctrine would advocate for ambiguity in translation to provide exegetical opportunities to pour false doctrine into the text. Hence I would expect Calvinists to like ambiguity and reject clarity. Perhaps a Calvinist or too will differ from Rippon. Time will tell.

Rippon and I agree that the HCSB is a great translation and I believe it should be used to provide fresh insight into God's accurate and unambiguous word.

God Bless

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why must you always instigate by adding a snide comment about Calvinists? Amazing ...and then you add God Bless! :BangHead:

#26 Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2011
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another Calvinist leaving the question of ambiguity advocacy on the table, but feeling justified using the logical fallacy of against the Van argumentation. QED

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No you're not. You logged another post#27. And you will likely respond to this one of mine.

They are very close in translational philosophy.

The ESV and HCSB added at least hundreds of gender inclusive language compared with the 1984 NIV. What do you have to say about that?

Yes,I like (present tense)the TNIV which is very close to the 2011 NIV.

That fine translation was vilified unnecessarily and boycotted for no just cause.

Your second sentence negates the first. The 2011 will remain the #1 English translation around the world --just like now with the old NIV Explanation Bible being the number one English Bible translation in South Korea.

You apparently are not aware of the fact that conservative Bible scholars advocate translating abiguity for ambiguity. As I said before,just to make something clear in an English Bible text does not mean it's a faithful translation. Do you advocate simplification even when the original is not very clear?

Do you prefer translations like the TEV,NCV and CEV? They don't translate with ambiguity.

Knock off the false doctrine charge please.

Exceedingly uncalled for Van.

Yes,almost as good as the 2011 NIV!

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are very astute in your observation EWF.