1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

YIELDING THE WILL TO GOD

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Claudia_T, May 12, 2006.

1. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

The Bible says we should "work work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure" Phil:2:12,13.

Below is an exerpt from one of our Seventh Day Adventist books, explaining the use of the will.

I would like to know how other Christians view the use of the will in formation of Christian character.

I ask that no one make any snide remarks about Ellen White, and just please explain your own views on the role of the will in the life of the Christian. [​IMG]

Chapter Title: Exercise of the Will
    Strength Through Yielding the Will, E.G. White
    Pure religion has to do with the will. The will is the governing power in the nature of man, bringing all the other faculties under its sway. The will is not the taste or the inclination, but it is the deciding power, which works in the children of men unto obedience to God, or unto disobedience.

You are a young man of intelligence; you desire to make your life such as will fit you for heaven at last. You are often discouraged at finding yourself weak in moral power, in slavery to doubt, and controlled by the habits and customs of your old life in sin. You find your emotional nature untrue to yourself, to your best resolutions, and to your most solemn pledges. Nothing seems real. Your own instability leads you to doubt the sincerity of those who would do you good. The more you struggle in doubt, the more unreal everything looks to you, until it seems that there is no solid ground for you anywhere. Your promises are like ropes of sand, and you regard in the same unreal light the words and works of those in whom you should trust.

You will be in constant peril until you understand the true force of the will. You may believe and promise all things, but your promises or your faith are of no value until you put your will on the side of faith and action. If you fight the fight of faith with all your will-power, you will conquer. Your feelings, your impressions, your emotions, are not to be trusted, for they are not reliable, especially with your perverted ideas; and the knowledge of your broken promises and your forfeited pledges weakens your confidence in yourself, and the faith of others in you.

But you need not despair. You must be determined to believe, although nothing seems true and real to you. I need not tell you it is yourself that has brought you into this unenviable position. You must win back your confidence in God and in your brethren. It is for you to yield up your will to the will of Jesus Christ; and as you do this, God will immediately take possession, and work in you to will and to do of His good pleasure. Your whole nature will then be brought under the control of the Spirit of Christ; and even your thoughts will be subject to Him.

You cannot control your impulses, your emotions, as you may desire, but you can control the will, and you can make an entire change in your life. By yielding up your will to Christ, your life will be hid with Christ in God, and allied to the power which is above all principalities and powers. You will have strength from God that will hold you fast to His strength; and a new light, even the light of living faith, will be possible to you. But your will must co-operate with God's will, not with the will of associates through whom Satan is constantly working to ensnare and destroy you.

Will you not, without delay, place yourself in right relation to God? Will you not say, "I will give my will to Jesus, and I will do it now," and from this moment be wholly on the Lord's side? Disregard custom, and the strong clamoring of appetite and passion. Give Satan no chance to say, "You are a wretched hypocrite." Close the door, so that Satan will not thus accuse and dishearten you. Say, "I will believe, I do believe that God is my helper," and you will find that you are triumphant in God. By steadfastly keeping the will on the Lord's side, every emotion will be brought into captivity to the will of Jesus. You will then find your feet on solid rock. It will take, at times, every particle of will-power that you possess, but it is God that is working for you, and you will come forth from the molding process a vessel unto honor.

You need to drink daily at the fountain of truth, that you may understand the secret of pleasure and joy in the Lord. But you must remember that your will is the spring of all your actions. This will, that forms so important a factor in the character of man, was at the fall given into the control of Satan; and he has ever since been working in man to will and to do of his own pleasure, but to the utter ruin and misery of man.

But the infinite sacrifice of God in giving Jesus, His beloved Son, to become a sacrifice for sin, enables Him to say, without violating one principle of His government, "Yield yourself up to Me; give Me that will; take it from the control of Satan, and I will take possession of it; then I can work in you to will and to do of My good pleasure." When He gives you the mind of Christ, your will becomes as His will, and your character is transformed to be like Christ's character. Is it your purpose to do God's will? Do you wish to obey the Scriptures? "If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me."

There is no such thing as following Christ unless you refuse to gratify inclination and determine to obey God. It is not your feelings, your emotions, that make you a child of God, but the doing of God's will. A life of usefulness is before you, if your will becomes God's will. Then you may stand in your God-given manhood, an example of good works. You will then help to maintain rules of discipline, instead of helping to break them down. You will then help to maintain order, instead of despising it, and inciting to irregularity of life by your own course of action.

I tell you in the fear of God, I know what you may be, if your will is placed on the side of God.

2. gekko

gekko New Member

"Pure religion has to do with the will."

first i'll point out what pure religion is according to scripture: James 1:27 - Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

the will = God himself. we are to be holy even as he is holy "be ye holy for I am holy"

the will = "if ye love me keep my commandments"

the will = "love your neighbor as yourself"
    etc. etc.

or am i not understanding your question?

3. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

But if you have pure religion and you visit the fatherless and widows, dont you have to put your will on the side of God's will first to be able to do that?

Mt:7:21: Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    Isnt every command in the Bible that we are supposed to do ..."God's will"?

Then if this is true:

Phil:2:12,13: ...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Dotn you have to first surrender your own will to God voluntarily before He can work His will in you?

"I die daily" means surrendering your own will and allowing God's will to be done in you

"Thy kingdom come, THY WILL BE DONE..."

In other words, when it says pure religion is helping the fatherless, etc... what it is REALLY saying is that pure religion is doing God's will... whether it be helping the poor, etc...

Mt:7:21: Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

we are going to have to be willing to give up our will and ways every step of the way... to be true Christians.. thats the only way that God can "worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure"...

that is how we "work out our salvation with fear and trembling".

of course this involves faith and other things but right now we are just talking about putting your will on the side of God's will.

Claudia

4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Your will is very plan and simple...

It is the driving force of your emotion.

In Christ..James

5. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Gods will...

Has God foreordained everything that comes to pass? Has He decreed that what is, was to have been? Is God now governing the world and everyone and everything in it? If God is governing the world, then is He governing it according to a definite purpose, or aimlessly and at random? If He is governing it according to some purpose, then when was that purpose made? Is God continually changing His purpose and making a new one every day, or was His purpose formed from the beginning? Are God’s actions, like ours, regulated by the change of circumstances, or are they the outcome of His eternal purpose? If God formed a purpose before man was created, then is that purpose going to be executed according to His original designs and is He now working toward that end?

Where does this counsel come from that places the power and order in His soverignance?
    What does the Bible say? They declare God is One
    "who worketh all things after the counsel of His own will" (Eph. 1:11).

In Christ..James

6. gekko

gekko New Member

"But if you have pure religion and you visit the fatherless and widows, dont you have to put your will on the side of God's will first to be able to do that?"

no... there's probably hundreds of other people that do so many better things then i do - and they're lost.

right?

7. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

James,

I hope God's will stays the same since the Bible says that we cannot enter heaven unless we do it, and His will is declared already in the Bible. Otherwise it would be pretty wishy-washy to try and know what His will is and do it.

Claudia

8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

God will not look you over for medals, degrees, or diplomas, but for scars.

Elbert Hubbard

9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Claudia...you said..
    "Otherwise it would be pretty wishy-washy to try and know what His will is and do it"

What is Gods will...and what is not Gods will? How can we know Gods will? Is it common to miss Gods will..or is that even possible?

C Swindoll said joking..
    "Its much easier for me to know God's will for my wife than it is for me to know Gods will for my life."

Is Gods will a line? In other words are there many things in his will for us...or just one? Should I buy a Ford..or a Honda? If I buy the wrong car...will God not bless me? If I buy the right car...will God bless me more? If I'm not in sin when I buy a car...will God Bless me with the right car?

That's kinda like Job..is it not? We have in our minds that if we are in the will of God, good things happen to us. If on the other hand we are not in Gods will, things get rough. Job had friends like this. Job was a good man and upright in ALL his ways. Because hard times came his friends thought Job MUST be in sin. People always are around to tell you what God has in store for YOU...IF...you stay in His will. Telling you what bad things happen to sinners, and good things happen to those that do right. Yes, we have blessings..and God is good when He blesses.

I have been blessed in many ways. I made more money then most in my trade. I went into business for myself. From the beginning my business went though the roof. 3 years later I had 4 companies. God is GOOD. It is very easy to say that when life is good.

How about after you lose your job...is God Still Good?
    How about when your mother is told she has cancer...is God still Good?
    How about a month later your father is told he has cancer..is God still Good?
    How about when both die in the same month...is God still Good?
    How about when you lose all you worked hard for...your business...your house..your cars..buildings...machines....everything. How about when your church you go to for 25 years falls to another doctrine...and you must leave. How about when your own health starts to fell....is God Good now? How about when it SEEMS like God is not there for you. When no praying helps....how good is God?

Just as Job found out long ago...bad things can happen to the unright..and sinners. This is called Life people. If we walk around trying to keep in Gods will by the action that happens around us, we will be nothing but a washed up mess. Why do good people die when we pray for them? It is Gods will.

I'm here to tell you God is GOOD and always Good no matter what happens to me. Gods will is not a line we walk. Its a game field we play in. In that field we have ups and downs. Does God want me to buy a Ford or a Honda. AAAwww NO!! A ACURA RL 3.5 ..of course!!! [​IMG] (joke)

God tells us to be wise with out money. Within this field is Gods will. Should I leave my church or not? God wants us to stay true to Him, not a church...that is the field of His will. I lost my job...I have prayed and prayed for 2+ years for a new job...why no job? I'm good. I have no sin in my life. I read my Bible daily 2 hours..i pray 1 hour each day...i share God love with others. I do not kick the cat...i don't even have a cat to kick. Why after 2 years do i still not have a job? is God GOOD? YES a thousands times over.

God is always good. God may want you or ME..closer then we ever have been before. We are not just in Gods will when things go good. If i'm not in sin, and I'm at my Fathers work..I'm in Gods will.

"Otherwise it would be pretty wishy-washy to try and know what His will is and do it"

Nope...stay out of sin...bring glory to Him...tell others of His great Kingdom...That is Gods will.

No guessing is needed. All the other stuff is LIFE. Get use to it. If you need a car..and you pray...and pray..and look real hard..and pray more for God to lead you....If you buy a Ford and you prayed for Gods will..and the Ford stops running in one month..do not think it was wrong to buy the Ford. Gods will was so that you would have a bad car. Now...look to see how God will bless you with this bad car. God is GOOD..even with a Ford.

In Christ...James

10. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

OK..no one took my bait on this one.

this line was in the OP.. You cannot control your impulses, your emotions, as you may desire, but you can control the will ....which is why I posted my few words.

Your will is part of your emotion. Its the drive..or desire that you have from experiences you have lived. Or..its the drive of the place you want to be. In both cases it comes from the emotions derived from those experiences.

So..that line is wrong in my view. [​IMG]

In Christ..James

11. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Offered for Consideration...

I take the Pauline Trichotomy: Spirit, Soul, and Body and break the Soul into Mind, Will, and Emotions.

(see: http://www.houseofmyrrh.org/StirUpTheGift.htm )

Man’s Spirit – Normally dormant until Salvation, provides the primary connection of man to the Spiritual Realm.

Man’s Body – provides the anchor to the Physical Realm and constrains us to Finite Time.

Man’s Soul – is further divided into three parts, for the sake of learning.

Mind – Data and Hardware Interface with our Bodies. Provides some sub-conscious sorting and response control.

2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Will – The seat of who we determine ourselves to be.

Romans 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Rom 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Emotions – That which gives us the ability to respond to others in Grace, Kindness and Mercy. Provides the primary connection to our Spirit and the Spirit Realm.

SMM

12. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

OK..no one took my bait on this one.

this line was in the OP.. You cannot control your impulses, your emotions, as you may desire, but you can control the will ....which is why I posted my few words.

Your will is part of your emotion. Its the drive..or desire that you have from experiences you have lived. Or..its the drive of the place you want to be. In both cases it comes from the emotions derived from those experiences.

So..that line is wrong in my view. [​IMG]

In Christ..James
    </font>[/QUOTE]You arent supposed to go by your emotions, you ae supposed to align your will with God's will, as evidenced by the fact that when Jesus was knowing He was going to die on the cross He prayed that this cup would be allowed to pass from Him but then He said "But nevertheless, let THY will be done oh God"

Thats an example of surrendering your will to God.

You should not allow your emotions to drive you... Just like when Paul said that he "keeps his body under"...(under subjection).Paul said he strives for the mastery in ALL THINGS...

You have to make your mind or your will put everything else in subjection... and to do that you must surrender the will to God's will instead of your own.

Claudia

13. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I say again...
    Your will is the driving force of your emotion.

Let me show you what I mean.

A toddler has no fear of playing in the street. Fear is an emotion. Therefore a toddler will cry to have his "WILL" to play in the street. The emotion behind this is joy, being happy..or somthing else like this. The toddlers will knows no fear of a car hitting them and therefore can not have this part of his will to stay from the street. It is when the toddler learns of fear of getting hit ..or a spanking...that he can use this in his will.

This can best be seen when a child 1st burns his hand on the stove. Before he feels the heat his will is to touch the stove. He has not known the fear of burning a hand. Once this is done...have you seen a child reach to touch the stove and whip his hand back real fast? He remembers what happened before. Fear brings his hand back. In some cases the Child will run away from the stove and hold his hand tight. Fear changed his will.

My will is my desires. My desires come from my emotions.

Another case in point. I WANT ice cream tonight. I love (emotion) ice cream. Where does my love come from? Well...i have ate ice cream and it is good. The emotion of love drives me in my will to pick ice cream to eat.

You cannot remove your will from your emotion. They are linked together. If you have no emotion..you have no will.

Another case in point. I said I love ice cream. You may love it too..i do not know. You base your likes on your emotion you have in ice cream too.

But..what do you feel about a beicatron? Do you love them? Do you want one now? or...does this make you sick to think about one? If you have used one before..and it made you smile...you may want one again. you may have LOVED it..and want to buy one right now. Maybe its been years since you had one...and your WILL is to go buy one the next time your at Walmart.

But...if you do not know what one is..you do not know if you hate it or love it. You have no drive for it...no will...no desire..for there is no emotion linked to it.

Ok..i made up the name. There is no beicatron ...i mean that i know of. [​IMG]

Emotions ARE linked to your will. You can not get around it.

In Christ...James

14. SpiritualMadMan

To rephrase in my own words, I think you're saying?

Your Emotions should (*must*) follow the lead and be controlled by your Will...

-and-

Youe Will should not be lead around by your Emotions...

Else we could not "Reckon" ourselves 'anything'...

SMM

15. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Here is how this works...

The Bible talks about "yielding" your members as instruments of righteousness unto God"

It starts out like this:
    Romans 6:
    6: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
    7: For he that is dead is freed from sin.
    8: Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
    9: Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
    10: For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
    11: Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    12: Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

And so we have to have this certain mind-set in order to be able to overcome sin.We must come to believe that our old sinful self is crucified with Christ. We are DEAD.

Now we rise up again in newness of life and live with Christ.

THEN,

12: Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

Now doesnt the term "Let Not" have to do with our WILL??? We must DECIDE to do this... all the time. We must DECIDE to put our will on the side of Christ's will.

and then:

Rom:6:13: Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Rom:6:16: Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

No longer YIELD yourselves to sin and unrighteouness.

These are all DECISIONS we must make all the time. Every minute... giving our will to God.

Jms:4:7: Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

SUBMIT to God and RESIST the devil.

Again, more decisions to put your will on the side of God's will.

Thats how we overcome sin!

and thus, EG White says: "Will you not, without delay, place yourself in right relation to God? Will you not say, "I will give my will to Jesus, and I will do it now," and from this moment be wholly on the Lord's side?"

Yes we have faith and so on but we also must make this decision all the time to YIELD OURSELVES to God's will..

16. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Claudia,

You are making this to complex. Its all over one emotion. One word will help you understand. With this word you will see where your drive is. Your desire..your wants..all that you ARE comes down to one word. This word is an emotion. This word is LOVE.

Show me your true love and I'll show you your drive. This is what James is saying in the book of James. You say you have faith...show me your love...and DO

Another case in point....

Let us say that I love the color Blue. I love is so much that I buy blue cars, I paint my house blue, all my shirts are blue, I have a blue imac, all my ties have blue in them, i sing blue Christmas all the time..my team is the Bluejays. It is clear by all that know me that BLUE is my color. You may even think i'm blue crazy. If I did live like this...I would always here the jokes. "James..what is it with this blue thing you have going on?" yet..if my love is pure..i will not change. Why..I love blue!!!..and it does not matter what others think of me.

Then one day I meet Claudia. She says..James I know you love blue..but have you seen this verse in Malachi 2..."No blue is good"? (do not look for the verse..its not there...this is only a story).

I then have a choice. Where is my love? Do i love Gods word more then my love for blue? humm. What I do next shows where my true love is. My "will" to do...comes from my love. Now this is a simply story..but this shows us how our will is controled by our emotion. When Claudia shows me this verse MY TRUE LOVE tells my will what to do. Is it Blue or is it God?

And what are we to do? What is the driving force for ALL of us?

Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind."

LOVE (which is a emotion)....drives us in our hearts, soul, and fills your mine. with the love object. If I love blue this is all I think about..and when I buy things I buy blue. But is my love for God Bigger then my love for blue?

Where is you love? It is the same place as your will. If I say i love blue and "will" only buy green..this shows where my "will" and love is. If you are not following Him..you have no love for Him.

In Christ...James

17. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

James,

IS real true biblical love really just an emotion?

The reason I ask is because the ten commandments themselves are defined as "love" and are broken down into two parts... whcih is love God and love your neighbor.

Not stealng from someone is love... not killing someone is love... not worhipping idols is love and so on.

Im just saying that Im not so sure true genuine godly love is an emotion, but rather, it is a principle of living.

18. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

I dont see it as MY TRUE LOVE tells my will what to do... I see it as that I have a will, and I see that the Bible verse in Malachi says no blue is good... so since I love blue ... thinking blue is right.. once I see it is wrong, I go on and put my will on God's side and I "put my body under" so to speak, as Paul says... I decide I want to get rid of that and accept the no blue is good policy [​IMG]

I just see real love as different than being "passionate" about something... or like todays kind of common love.. infatuation with something.

of course love also involves things like mercy and kindness... but none of it should be that kind of "Sloppy Agape" fake kind of love that changes with the wind.

we are getting into some weird stuff here James LOL!

Ive had so much of the phony fake kind of love in my lifetime that Im sick of it and so I appreciate the kind of love thats based on principle and that is unchanging and stable and reliable.

19. SpiritualMadMan

I like that! [​IMG]

Claudia, also make a valid point...

In the case of Love, it is more than a flighty emotion.

Much as I love that ecstatic Love for my wife...

There are some mornings I just don't feel "in love"...

So, there must also be "Love is a Commitment"...

Another point is that My Father whom I love doesn't reach down in my Heart and compel me to do right...

My Love for Him is the Driving Force...

But, I know to do right by spending time with the one I love and studying Him and about Him...

Whether I believe that I am bound by the Law, Ordinances or Commandments...

They surely show of His Character and a standard that He held His Chosen People to at one time...

If I know that at one time He 'Appreciated' these attributes Love will 'Drive' me to comply from the heart without fear of discipline as an incentive...

If I've made any sense in this round about?

SMM