1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Yoga for exercise and stress relief

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by teachermom, Jun 3, 2007.

1. teachermom

teachermom New Member

If this has been previously discusssed, please forgive me for bringing it up again. I looked through other threads rather quickly and didn't see anything.

I have personally been terrified of yoga in any form. However, I keep hearing that people get involved in yoga for exercise and stress relief only and are not involved in any of the eastern religion part. Do you think it is possible to separate the two? What do you think the dangers (if any) are? How would you speak to someone who is obsessed about exercise and fitness in general and yoga speifically?

I will look forward to reading your responses.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

IMO, if each of the moves and positions represent something in the easteren religions, then we can not seperate it. Some say, well we can doit as excerise, and not be doing it for religeous reasons, doesn't matter, ti is still part of a false religion. Whether or not we like it.

3. teachermom

teachermom New Member

That's the way I feel also. Someone suggested to me today that the names of the positions call down demons, but I can't find any reference to that.

I heard something on a news promo tonight about yoga classes in our public schools. Those are the same public schools for which there was a LOUD public outcry because they wanted to teach a Bible elective in high school. The legislature has done such a number on it that it won't be recognizable.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

So then, how can you celebrate Christmas and Easter, since they have pagan origins?

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

origins, and direct meanings, 2 different things. yoga still means the same as it always did. you have to be able to seperate the past and present. christmas and easter no longer have the same meanings, yoga does. christians never used christmas and easter to celebrate satan and his false relgions, for christians they have always been about Christ. yoga is directly a false religion. (your opinion here is certain to differ, doesn't matter to me if it does)

#5 donnA, Jun 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2007
  6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a missionary in Asia and a practitioner of various Asian martial arts, I think I can help you here. I may not be able to post much after this for awhile, though, since I am currently out of town. I believe I can get on again tomorrow night if you have questions for me.

The physical moves of yoga alone are not dangerous spiritually. Physical movements in themselves never are. However, there are two dangers in Yoga as it is usually practiced.

(1) The meditation that is done with yoga has its basis in Hinduism, which is a really nasty form of idolatry. If the yoga teacher teaches traditional Hindu meditation, it may open you up to demon influences. Christian meditation is positive, meaning you meditate on God and His goodness as shown in the Word of God. Asian meditation is usually contentless, meaning you open your mind to outward influence, which is very dangerous.

(2) Asian religion and philosophy, particularly as taught through yoga and some martial arts, usually teaches something called monism, which is the belief that you can unite your physical (body) and unseen parts (soul, spirit; usually refered to as mind in Asian thought), and thus become more powerful. This is unbiblical and dangerous, since it teaches human methodology for spiritual power. It is also ultimately impossible, since the Bible teaches that body and soul/spirit are separate parts of the person (especially at death, until we receive our resurrection bodies).

To sum up, if a person were to take yoga, I would not immediately condemn it. But I would urge that person to question the yoga teacher extensively about the meditation and philosophy being taught in the class, because it can be spiritually very dangerous.

I hope this helps.

God bless.

John

7. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

I probably would avoid it, although I'm inclined to believe that it is the intent and purpose of the movements that is paramount. If I intend and purpose to improve physical health or tune up my breathing, that's different than an intention to call upon demons, or to unite myself with the universe. Still, I think I would choose something else.

MP, we need to get beyond that Christmas - Easter thing. It's worn out. Suffice it to say that we GLORIOUSLY celebrate Our Lord, not some pagan holiday.

8. Magnetic Poles

:laugh: Any supporting evidence?

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have several friends who do yoga exercises every morning and are devout, spirit-filled Christians. I see no problem with it, particularly if during the "silent meditation times" you reflect over passages of Scripture. :)

10. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

We celebrate the birth of Christ and the resurrection of Christ.

The birth and resurrection of Christ are biblical -- they have nothing to do with Yoga, which is pure Eastern Mysticism.

There is alot more to this article, but this excerpt is just for starters. I changed the link to the printer friendly page--not sure if anybody can link to the other one without logging on.

#10 Linda64, Jun 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2007
  11. Magnetic Poles

Here is the point => .

Obviously, you missed it.

The point is why is it wrong to co-opt yoga into reflections on Jesus, when it wasn't wrong to convert Saturnalia/Solstice/Yule into Christmas and the springtime celebration of fertility to one of Jesus' resurrection. Think about it...bunnies and eggs are fertility symbols, nothing to do with Jesus. Even the name Easter is one variant of a pagan godess' name.

SO again, why is one bad and the other not? None had Christian origins, but may be co-opted.

12. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’d tell them to start lifting weights instead and that yoga’s for sissies. :type: It is much more beneficial, because of building up muscle and bone, and strengthening the cardiovascular while lowering blood pressure. Studies are proving over and over again how total fitness is greatly improved by methods of weightlifting. They say 50 is the new 35, or the 60’s are the new 40’s with proper training. Anyway, atleast I've been claiming to be only actually a year away from 35 today and several have bought it. :smilewinkgrin: