1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"You are wrong because..."

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by rbell, Dec 9, 2009.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

This is spot on!

Especially with some of the global warming threads, I thought this was appropriate. (Some slight revisions on my part)...

From Scott Adams (Dilbert), The Joy of Work:

You are wrong because:

1. Amazingly Bad Analogy:
    Example: You can train a dog to fetch a stick, therefore you can train a potato to dance

2. Faulty Cause and Effect:
    Example: On the basis of my observations, wearing huge pants makes you fat.

3. I Am the World:
    Example: I don't listen to country music. Therefore, country music isn't popular.

4. Inability to Understand that Some Things Have Multiple Causes:
    Example: The Beatles were popular for only one reason: They were good singers.

5. The Few Are The Same As The Whole:
    Example: Some Elbonians are animal rights activists. Some Elbonians wear fur coats. Therefore, Elbonians are hypocrites.

6. Generalizing From Self:
    Example: I'm a liar. Therefore, I don't believe what you're saying.

7. Argument By Bizarre Definition:
    Example: He's not a criminal. He just does things that are against the law.

8. Total Logical Disconnect:
    Example: I enjoy pasta because my house is made out of bricks.

9. Judging Things Without Comparison To Alternatives:
    Example: I don't invest in U.S. Treasury Bills. There's too much risk.

10. Anything You Don't Understand Is Easy To Do:
    Example: If you have the right tools, how hard can it be to generate nuclear fission at home?

11. Ignorance Of All Statistics:
    Example: I'm putting all my money in the lottery this week because the jackpot is so big.

12. Ignoring the Downside Risk:
    Example: I know that bungee jumping could kill me, but it's three seconds of great fun!

13. Substituting Famous Quotes For Common Sense:
    Example: Remember, "All things come to those who wait." So don't bother looking for a job.

14. Irrelevant Comparisons:
    Example: A hundred dollars is a good price for a toaster, compared to buying a Ferrari.

15. Circular Reasoning:
    Example: I'm correct because I'm smarter than you. And I must be smarter than you because I'm correct.

16. Incompleteness As Proof Of Defect:
    Example: Your theory of gravity doesn't explain why there are no unicorns, therefore it must be wrong.

17. Ignoring the Advice of Experts Without a Good Reason:
    Example: Sure, the experts think you shouldn't ride your bicycle into the eye of a hurricane, but I have my own theory.

18. Following the Advice of Known Idiots:
    Example: Uncle Billy says pork makes you smarter. That's good enough for me.

19. Reaching Bizarre Conclusions Without Any Information:
    Example: The car won't start. I'm certain the spark plugs have been stolen by rogue clowns.

20. Faulty Pattern Recognition:
    Example: His last six wives were murdered mysteriously. I hope to be wife number seven.

21. Failure to Recognize What's Important:
    Example: My house is on fire! Quick, call the post office and tell them to hold my mail!

22. Unclear on the Concept of Sunk Costs:
    Example: We've spent millions in developing a water-powered pogo-stick. We can't stop investing now, or it will all be wasted!

23. Overapplication of Occam's Razor(which states that the simplest explanation is usually right):
    Example: The simplest explanation for the moon landings is that they were hoaxes.

24. Ignoring All Anecdotal Evidence:
    Example: I always get hives after eating strawberries. But without a scientifically controlled experiment, it's not reliable data. So I continue to eat strawberries everyday, since I can't tell that they cause hives.

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

This is pretty funny.

I love reading Dilbert.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually it would be funny if it wasnt so true